Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Teetering...

oldbat2be
10 years ago

Hope you can nudge me over but would appreciate being yanked back if necessary.

We are slowly remodeling our family room and I've been lurking on various rug sites.

Finally checked out Overstock and found one I liked. Not dreadfully expensive. It's polyester vs. wool. (Don't know much about this but I would buy a pad so it didn't slip).

I think the colors would look great with the sofas and floor (and eventual fireplace but that's another wall and another thread).

What do you think?

Thanks!!

oldbat2be

Comments (84)

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

ok, you're not going to thank me because this is nowhere near the $400 price point, but this is one that has been on my pinboard forever. Just thought I'd throw it out there - Ha, if I end up buying a fishy chandy it'll be small retribution to show you this rug!!

It's a Jaipur rug, so good quality wool and silk rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jaipur_dandelion

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This Capel Rug Casbah Star speaks to me:

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another Capel rug: Moor Pigeon Rug

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha! mlweaving_Marji - Definitely deserved on my part!!

The larger one is out of budget so here is the 5 x 8. I like the large pattern more and more....

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

OB, Geesh the rug that I suggested looked so much better on the site. The background seemed more brown and the flowers had a touch of blue. The monitor was a PC though and I am now viewing on my iPad. What a difference in tones.

I love the Capel Casbah star and the Jaipur that Marji posted is TDF but the color looks gold on my iPad.

I will keep looking for you as I had to send my Safavieh rug for the breakfast area back as it arrived with a six inch slash that went the whole way through the backing so I am looking for a replacement so looking for you too.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

OB, Geesh the rug that I suggested looked so much better on the site. The background seemed more brown and the flowers had a touch of blue. The monitor was a PC though and I am now viewing on my iPad. What a difference in tones.

I love the Capel Casbah star and the Jaipur that Marji posted is TDF but the color looks gold on my iPad.

I will keep looking for you as I had to send my Safavieh rug for the breakfast area back as it arrived with a six inch slash that went the whole way through the backing so I am looking for a replacement so looking for you too.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay, and OB2B, that rug is def taupe, not gold. I've seen the sample sizes in my local interior design shop.
    Still, I'm not sure it plays well with the lovely tones in the furniture. IF you can count on monitor colors to be good the photoshop feature is a wonderful tool. At least it helps with scale and intensity of colors.
    But there's nothing like having the real sample in hand.

Holly I'm so sorry to hear that you had to send your rug back. You've waited so long to put your rooms together.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Thanks Marji, it was a bit disappointing especially since it arrived the day before Thanksgiving and we were going to put it in place in time for guests. In the grand scheme of things it was a minor setback.

OB, there are so many pretty rugs out there that it will be hard to decide! Your room is so lovely and I am so anxious to see what you ultimately choose.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Removed double post.

This post was edited by holly-kay on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 23:48

• romy718
    10 years ago

Still liking your original 3 picks. All three are gorgeous. The Capel Casbah Star is beautiful but I like the richness of the darker browns, especially if your built-ins are white.
    I announced to DH that my winter project is to learn how to photoshop. Can I photoshop on an ipad? My laptop died which means I'd have to use his computer. Maybe I'll get a new computer out of this....but that would be less decorating money, hmmm.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 0:02

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

This is over the top expensive and not the right colors for your room but I would love to see this and you are so good at photoshopping that I hope you will humor me. This darn thing is an inch thick!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oh my gosh I love this

• amykath
    10 years ago

Holy-Kay that rug is gorgeous!!!!!

Of all that you have shown I like 2 and 3 the best! I vote you keep on looking. Maybe you can find a less expensive version of the rug Holy-Kay posted.

LOVE your kitchen. If you could have the eye to find and use that fabulous backsplash then I know you will find the perfect rug!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All - Thanks so much for the help! The hunt goes on.... Note that all rugs and patterns are hopefully to scale, and approximately 8x10 unless otherwise noted.

The TV on the right may be moved to over the fireplace, so there could be another piece of furniture there instead.

peony4 - walls are BM Aura Vancouver Day, ceiling is same but at 25%.

busybee3 -I agree about the dandelions. The large pattern is nice in its own way but I think I'd prefer it if they were smaller.

nosoccermom - orchid rug? Hmmm. If I come across one, I'll try it. I agree about the color pops but think I still want the rug to be part of the neutral palette. Good point about lint but I have a large German Shepherd and want to stay away from lighter rugs because he leaves fur everywhere.

Quick tally of preferences - apologies if I've missed anyone.

#1 Dandelions:
    AnnieDeighnaugh, patty0315, sas95, nancybee_2010, Tuesday_2008, Natebear (Good luck, let me know if you need help), olychick, fouramblues, peegee

#2:
    aktillery, linelle - thanks!! As you can tell I'm having fun with Photoshop Elements. I'd rather get wool if possible.

#3:
    aktillery, busybee3, mlweaving_Marji,romy718, gssciencechick

holly-kay - Sorry to hear about your rug - unbelievable to think someone would actually ship it like that (or was it damaged in transit?)

Here you go! holly-kay #2. Like mlweaving_Marji's, WAY too expensive, but worth trying.

Thanks aktillery. I agree to the keep on looking - all it costs me is a little time :) I think the reason why the first ones may be best is because they're grounding the room, which is also why I specified the dark brown legs on the sofas, too.

Here's another brown - Capel Kasbah Cube:

Too dark: Capel Balustrade Black

Orange (or at least this orange) doesn't work either: Capel Chevron Canyon

romy718 - here is number 3, flipped:

Capel honeycomb fog:

Capel leopard (hey, I was curious!):

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I still like your original ones best, plus the moor pidgeon. (My suggestions didn't work.) You're a pro at this photoshopping, and the results of "seeing" a rug placed in the actual room are sometimes surprising!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fouramblues - Exactly!

Three more and then on with the day:

Capel Barrister (the horizontal stripes widen the room):

Capel Medallion v1: The colors are great but perhaps the pattern is a bit much?

And the Capel medallion flipped (v2):

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Thanks for humoring me I just wanted to see it in a room. It was love at first sight. I fell hard for a few Fiezy rugs but all the ones I love are over the top. So far I like your dandelions the best.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Thanks for humoring me I just wanted to see it in a room. It was love at first sight. I fell hard for a few Fiezy rugs but all the ones I love are over the top. So far I like your dandelions the best.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oh, I meant going with a neutral carpet and adding color with some easily changed accessories. That's why I personally like the Capel Casbah Star and the original #3 a lot, but is the Star t too light with your German Shepherd?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I like the way Capel Barrister's stripes widen the room. Not so sure the color is the best, but I like it overall. I guess it's a matter of walking into your room (or living in it every day) and going, Oh, the rug! I mean that in a good way, but do you want it to grab your attention? The ones I favor are in a supporting role that just make me go Ah! and feel grounded.

BTW, when you get the time, if you're so inclined, I'd love a quick tutorial (workflow) on how you set up the PS Elements specifically for this rug project. I have PS itself, but the process would be the same. It's a very useful trick and I must say it's better than most. :)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Haha, talking of "orchid" rugs:

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Stick with your first instinct which is the one they're calling dandelions. It's the perfect rug as it brings the room to a high level of decor in my artist's eye. Most of the others are nice but nice is not enough in my book. Your room is gorgeous, why not make it more so. You have a good eye.

• kitchentime
    10 years ago

I agree with yayagal! I love dandelions!

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I thnk that the dandelions and big,circles and in your face patterns look cheap like they were purchased at Walmart or Target. I didn't go over each photoshop, but something with a subtle all over pattern would be more sophisticated. You can add interest and whimsy with art and window treatments. Just my opinion.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I love the Capel Medallion colors and think the pattern is a lovely welcome into the room - and I like the way it echos your top rounded window (sorry, I'm sure it has a name but I don't know it). I like the sunflowers too, but, they are a little more modern and less elegant.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree that with such evenly split votes, that tells you they are all very good choices. I think#2 enhances and would also be good to live with- not too intense, but not a super light background either. I do like #1 as well but I prefer #2.

• musicteacher
    10 years ago

I am no decorating expert, but I love your first "dandelion" rug. The room is very classy but neutral and that rug adds just a bit of color and pop and gives your eyes a place to focus. I think it just makes your room, without being extreme.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

holly-kay - glad to oblige :) And if you want it photoshopped in your room, I can give it a try.

nosoccermom - got it. Yes, prob. way too light with the GS. Here's a purple for you:

Thanks yayagirl, kitchentime. k9arlene - I see your point and worry a little about that too. Linelle was saying something similar; I don't think I want the rug to be the key feature in the room. Quandry of - am I decorating with an eye to a Houzz photo or towards what I love?

kksmama - I really do like the colors of the Capel Medalliion too but... see paragraph above.

Thanks sheliaaaus122.

Now a few more which I did yesterday:

Capel Tracery Charcoal:

Capel Mink Balustrade:

Capel Hibiscus Mink:

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my OB, I just changed my vote to the Capel Tracery.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Of the more recent, I'd vote for the Capel Tracery Charcoal. It's a smaller scale overall pattern that ties the room together without being a focal point. I love dandelions as much as the next person, but I don't want them to be the focal point of my floor. That type of pattern also makes things off of kilter in terms of making one side of a room heavier than the other. Before you make a rug selection, I'd also be looking at window treatments that coordinate well with your rug choice.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Another consideration: Coffee tables? If you have a large-scale non-symmetrical pattern, the tables will cover them up unless you choose glass.
    I therefore like the Tracery and the original Star. Also would pick wool over polyprop material. Another question: Are they tufted? If yes, I've had problems with tufted rugs because the plastic background that they're basically glued onto, starts disintegrating --- which can smell at worst, and have little white stuff coming out at best. I had to get rid of a really nice PB rug because it smelled absolutely horribly.

• User
    10 years ago

I like the second rug you showed best of all on the thread. The darker rugs in polyester will look tired and dirty if they're the type that get crushed fibers. Wool is an overall better choice, IMO, and the lighter colors strike a harmony. The darker or "statement" rugs make it all about the floor, which I think is almost always a mistake.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Okay, I'm changing my vote. I do love the Dandelions but I looked at the rugs on Overstock yesterday and didn't realize that besides the gray "dandelions", there are also dark ones that are plum or purple. First, I saw this as a plus. Now, not so sure. Looking at #3 on Overstock, I don't like the pattern as well as I like it in your photoshopped picture. I now like the calming, serene #2. It's a beautiful rug, looks very well made and is not as trendy as some of the others.I also like the Capel Tracery Charcoal. It's such a pretty room & how nice to have so many rugs that work.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Agree with nonsoccermom about liking the Star as well.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This may be The One....

k9arlene - I am planning 15" or so deep built ins flanking the window (vs. window treatments). These could be painted any color.

kswl - I'm listening about what you're saying about dark carpets! However, I have to say I have ADORED the warmth provided by my dark herringbone tiled floor. (My first dark floor and I truly love it).

nosoccermom - good point about the coffee tables. I'm thinking dark wood or similarly colored ottoman. Perhaps a glass topped coffee table in front of 'my' sofa - the one in front of the window.

Here is a link that might be useful: Momeni Gramercy GM-13 Charcoal Area Rug

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I love it. Adds a touch of whimsy without being in your face and leaves things wide open to add colorful items on your bookshelves as well as either painting or adding fabric on the backs to add color or design. It's the bookcases and accessories you want to highlight, not the rug. The room looks sophisticated but friendly. Just want to make sure the raised circles don't create a tripping hazard.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

hmm, I like the Capel Medallions, too.

BTW, i started calling in Dandelions, but someone said it looked like Queen Anne's Lace and I think they are right.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I change my vote yet again. I figured you would know it when you saw it and I do think that the Momeni should be the one. It is truly lovely and has a classic, timeless look. Rug studio has wonderful customer service. The rug that I got that was damaged (shipped that way and not the fault of the carrier) couldn't have been easier to return. They issued a prepaid call tag and I got a refund via gift certificate as soon as the damaged rug got into the UPS system.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I still like #3 above, and I really like the latest Momeni Gramercy charcoal. Now, if the colors IRL are true to the way they look on the monitor you'll be all set.
    I like the tracery above, but on my monitor the color is really off.

What I like about those two, at least on my monitor, is that they ground the room without overwhelming your furniture. They pick up the color in the pillows and coordinate but don't scream "look at me first and always".
    Now, to avoid the RH look or a too-calm Houzz picture look, you need a really amazing piece of art.

Just an idea, looking at some pics on Houzz - glass coffee table, a bit of pattern in the rug, and some art on the wall

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103)

• romy718
    10 years ago

Oldbad, that one (the Momeni Gramercy) is perfect!

• amykath
    10 years ago

I like the Kabash Cube and carpet 2 and 3 wool. I like how they have both dark and light. It adds warmth but with a bit of interest as well.

I love the dark one you said might be it but it might seem like you have too much brown. Especially if you use a dark brown coffee table. Just a thought!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

After looking at all the pics, I still like #1 the best.

For the record, I have that Momeni charcoal rug in my master bedroom. The way it is photoshopped into your room, it looks like the circle pattern is much larger than it is IRL. On my rug, which is an 8 x 10, the "circles" are about 5" in diameter.

I think a big solid charcoal rug is going to be sort of boring, sorry.

Love, love the dandelion/queen anne's lace rug. And I'd get a glass coffee table to make the most of the pattern.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

The size of the prevailing pattern can make a huge difference (sueb20). Big patterns bother me (oh, look at those circles/dandelions/etc.!), whereas smaller ones take on a more homogeneous look. The example shown on the website can be misleading. They give so much info, too bad they don't offer any sizing of the pattern.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I like the casbah cube too. Something about all the geometric shapes going on in the room is nice.

I still vote for the first one- the darker color grounds the room, and also would look clean longer than a lighter rug.

Your room is going to be so pretty! Your kitchen is great too.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i would like the momeni gramercy if there was abit of color variation like the casbah cube has... i like the pattern in the momeni better than the diamond pattern of the cc...
    keep looking!! :)

• Gooster
    10 years ago

ob2b: I am late to the party but I can't tell you how many of these rugs you posted that I have in my favorites or pin lists, from my last rug search (in different colorways) -- including that last one from Momeni.

• teacats
    10 years ago

A vote for the richer deeper look of the Momeni Gramency charcoal rug -- and the design mimics the shapes of the pattern of the kitchen backsplash

Gorgeous home! :)

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I'm afraid if you go with a rug that has a light gray in it and it isn't an exact match to the sofa, it may look green or gold or some off color. I think that if you are going with a rug that has gray in it, it should be a charcoal gray.

This post was edited by k9arlene on Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 0:18

• romy718
    10 years ago

Oldbat, where are you? We are missing you & this photoshopping rug adventure.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

romy718 - thanks :) I've been busy getting ready for the holidays and mentally had put this aside. I saw your backsplash post on the kitchen forum (gorgeous!!!) which reminded me to go back to this.

sueb20 - thank you so much for the info on the size of the circlces on the Momeni rug. It was great to know but also rather off-putting to think that my photoshopping any of these rugs might be so far off from reality. Could you possibly post a picture of your rug?

Linelle - great point, thanks. I will try requesting the pattern repeat and actual photos of any rugs which make the short list.

k9arlene - yes, you are describing what I'd like to do. Sophisticated yet friendly, with a touch of whimsy. Good point about the light grey.

mtnrdredux - why am I not hearing orange or pink from you? You are being very conservative.

holly-kay - I need to spend more time on rug studio, thanks.

mlweaving_Marji - yes, I do want to ground the room. Thanks for the Houzz picture. I am considering (for the first time in my life) a glass coffee table. (Considering, I said!). Art on the walls - hmmm. There's a local painter in Gloucester, John Nesta, whom I really like. I could go visit and select a painting and then pick out a rug.

Thanks aktillery, nancybee_2010, teacats. Busybee3 - I am definitely still looking. Gooster, that's so funny!

Must get to work. More photoshopping coming in the near future:) You guys are the best!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Okay, I'm a little embarrassed now because I actually looked at the rug in my room this morning (before, I was just going on memory) and the circles are actually more like 8-9" across! They still seem smaller than the ones in your pic, but not as small as they appeared in my head when I commented. Sorry I don't have time for take a pic today, but they are bigger than I thought!

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022