Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remodeling guest cabin

Posted by mskhw (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 22:43

Hi I am new here, it is nice to have found this forum!

I hope someone can help. We just bought our house and it has a guest cabin (bunkie) We are restoring it. We are going with pine tongue & groove boards for the interior. I am looking at a 3" board with 3 grooves of 2" per board, giving the appearance of 3 small width boards. I am considering that for the ceiling with lines going from front to back. The cabin is like a chalet (large V ceiling) The wall comes up (about your armpit) and meets with the slope of the ceiling. For the walls I am thinking of 3" matching pine board to match ceiling but with a greater width. My problem is whether I should place the wall boards, horizontal or vertical. I hope this make sense. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
with thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remodeling guest cabin

You could do either, but pretty generally they're laid horizontally. I guess the question is, would you rather the space feel taller (vertical) or longer (horizontal).

o

We built a vacation home in the woods and installed the pine ceiling on a diagonal - it accentuates the height of the 2 story great room and I think it's more interesting.

I couldn't find a photo to post.

o

Hi there - great bunkie. My personal preference would be to do it horizontal (like the ceiling), but you could go either way I think.

Will the floors be pine too? I know that all pine is the tradition for bunkies, but it might get a bit 'heavy' looking if all three surfaces are pine. Even just one white surface, like the wall in Annie's picture, might lighten the place up. Unless it is only used as a sleeping bunkie, if so, not a big deal. Given your use of the word bunkie and the look of your site, I'd say we must live pretty near each other!

Good luck.

o

My sidewalls were done horizontally and my ceilings were done vertically. Everone liked the look but past owners used alot of nails and screws which left holes so we covered it up with sheetrock. Since your siding is horizontal it might make more visual sence to go that way for the kick wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here