Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liketolearn_gw

Looking for old post about woman who did her own wood wall panels

liketolearn
16 years ago

I'm looking for an post about a woman who DIY'd her own wood wainscoting.

If I remember she did it herself using power tools to cut the trim pieces. Sorta of a Craftsman-style wainscoting rather than a beadboard. I think it might have been in a family room on the wallls and included some angled panels near a stairway. And it might have been a basement as I think there was a square post (like a support post) that she covered too. It was her project and she did most (or all of it) without her DH's help.

I love what she did and REALLY wanted to show it to DH and just can't find the post. I don't think the post was that old that it would have dropped off. Hopefully someone remembers or original poster sees this and can add some photos. Can anyone help me out?

Comments (24)

• sarahmakes6
    16 years ago

It was Punamytsike. I can get her a message for you.

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

Thanks sarahmakes6 for alerting me. Not sure if liketolearn is talking about me but here are couple of my wood projects anyway:

bar counter before:

bar counter after:

closeup:

Media room before:

Media room after:

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Holy smokes you're talented!! This is stunning! You are awesome!

How did you do all this and didn't it cost you a fortune in wood? You didn't carve those corbels did you? What tools did you use for these jobs? I've got about a million questions. lol!

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

Thank you oceanna :)

It did not cost fortune in wood but would have cost in labor ;)
    I got lucky with the corbels, found them at the unbelievable price on eBay.
    My best friend was compound miter saw and air brad gun but I also used regular circular saw, table saw and drill.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

It's breathtaking. Did you also use a router? Or do those pieces on the vertical columns come that way? Is the room panelling mahogany plywood on the walls? Or veneer? What wood is the bar? Tell us more, please! How did you do it? How did you get your angles right for the staircase?

I have a compound miter saw but it's "off." I had doubts about myself until my son came over and used it, swore at it, and ran home to get his own. I don't know if it can be adjusted or just needs to be trashed. I hate to put it in landfill, but I hate to pass it off on someone else, too. Darned thing.

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

Did you also use a router?
    No
    Or do those pieces on the vertical columns come that way?
    Yes
    Is the room paneling mahogany plywood on the walls?
    It is regular plywood stained with Minwax Mahogany stain :)
    Or veneer? What wood is the bar?
    All molding used is poplar and stained either Minwax Mahogany in media room or Becan in the bar area.
    Tell us more, please! How did you do it?
    THat would be a whole book ;) ask specific questions and I will try to answer :)
    How did you get your angles right for the staircase?
    I made the correct angles out of paper first.

• Robbi D.
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I've wanted to do a wall or a room with judges panels, and I think you've inspired me again! Now, which room should it be???.....

Robbi

• msrose
    16 years ago

I'm speechless. I have to keep going back and look at the pictures again to take in all the details. I would love to add some corbels to my kitchen cabinets. How did you attach them? nails? liquid nails?

Laurie

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

"I would love to add some corbels to my kitchen cabinets. How did you attach them? nails? liquid nails?"

As you see from the photos, we added a layer of paneling to the original wall. So the corbels were attached with screws from the back to wood board and then the board was attached with 2" brads to the wall.

If your corbels are decorative only (ours support the granite above) and are not too heavy, you might be able to get away
    with liquid nails type installation.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I am in absolute awe! How did you figure all this out? Did you have some type of instructions or a book or something?

• Katie S
    16 years ago

Punamytsike is unbelievably talented... Have you seen her ceilings and her stained concrete? Hats off to you. Punamytsike!!!

• tre3
    16 years ago

Punamytsite as a woodworker wanna be...gorgeous job. What an amazing transformation! Please share pictures of your ceilings and your stained concrete. Thanks for the inspiration. T

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I have been so fortunate to 1) meet Puamytsite 2) see her fabulous home and 3) drop my jaw at her talents.

And all I could do was make a chalk board!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

No, but I would love to see her ceilings and stained concrete. Where do we see more?

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

Thank you ladies :)

Little while ago, when we were trying to sell the house ( multiple personal reasons and before the real estate collapsed) I made this website (linked below). There you will see more pics although some of the latest project are not there but the earlier ones (stained concrete and ceilings are)

As a side note, I also designed the house, my first and if I may say so, not too bad ;)

Thanks Cathy and Katie :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Are you kidding me! That's your home! It is gorgeous!

If I were moving to Florida, I'd buy it in a heart beat. The area is so pretty.

I just love the video. :)

• tre3
    16 years ago

WOW! Love the look of your home. That ceiling is incredible. My arms and neck ache just looking at it:)

• nhb22
    16 years ago

I meant to ask about the ceiling...did you paint that as well?

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

Below is a link to the page where I show how the ceiling was done :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Great room ceiling

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Your home is incredible and your talents and bravery have made it even moreso!

On the ceiling, what kind of plywood did you use? Did you paint the designs with a brush or stencil them? How did you keep the stain from bleeding out to surrounding areas? What brand of stain did you use? Any more tips?

I also found the link below to your concrete staining work you did. I love it! I have a very boring grey concrete front walk and steps and have been wondering what to do with them. I would love to do this! Have you written up any instructions for how you did it? Or could you tell us please?

What product(s) did you use?

How did you transfer your design to the concrete?

Did you mask off areas?

How did you apply the product?

What do's and don't's did you learn along the way?

Thanks very much for any help you can give me!

Where did you learn to do all this? Do you do this type of work for your job?

Sorry, but I am SO inspired by all you've done, and I'm a DIY person, so this thread has filled me with questions. Thanks for answering them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete staining

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

On the ceiling, what kind of plywood did you use?
    usually luan is cheapest good looking plywood in HD, so that's what I have used mostly.
    Did you paint the designs with a brush or stencil them?
    stained designs are painted with a very small brush.
    How did you keep the stain from bleeding out to surrounding areas?
    Fist I make a stencil and trace the design with pencil and then fill in with stain, making sure that I have very little stain on the brush.
    What brand of stain did you use?
    I have always used Minwax

---------------------------------------

wondering what to do with them. I would love to do this! Have you written up any instructions for how you did it? Or could you tell us please?

What product(s) did you use?
    Decosup
    How did you transfer your design to the concrete?
    I drew the design on the floor with pencil based on smaller scale design on the paper
    Did you mask off areas?
    it was not necessary, as My husband cut the lines around the design before I stained and that prevented most of the bleeding issues.
    How did you apply the product?
    with the cheap foam brushes from HD
    What do's and don't's did you learn along the way?
    Don't too it on a hot day, the stain dries too quickly and you will not get as deep color.
    Thanks very much for any help you can give me!

Where did you learn to do all this?
    Trial and error ;)
    Do you do this type of work for your job?
    Not yet at least, I have thought about doing it professionally but I am really lousy sales person, so this might for ever be just my obsession and hobby :)

PS. I have a long e-mail I send to people that ask about my concrete work, so if you want to receive it, drop me an e-mail.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Thanks so much, Punamytsike. You've got mail. :D

• liketolearn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OP here ...
    Thanks sarahmakes6 for pointing us to Punamytskie.

And yes, Punamytskie you were exactly who I was thinking of! I loved what you did in your media room.

We are converting a double-garage into a "man-room" for DH. The lower 1ft of the walls is cement foundation with drywall above. I thought the idea of what you did would be a great way to finish it off covering the cement foundation. DH does not visualize well and certainly not in sync with what I describe so having a picture is EXTREMELY helpful LOL! And seeing your pictures has him interested in this as a good solution (and much better than the other idea he had ... which as you can guess I didn't like LOL). So thank you very much for posting pictures.

If you have a picture showing the woodworking before staining would you mind posting it?

Again thank you and I'm glad to see so many others remembered and loved your handiwork!

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

I am glad, liketolearn, that my photos helped. Here are 2 more before the staining: