Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cursivesailor

SW colors.... x-posted

cursivesailor
15 years ago

My builder prefers Sherwin Williams. So I just picked up the giant fan of colors and I am now completely overwhelmed.

This is a new build. 3Bed, 2 Bath. Living/Dining/Kitchen combo all open to one another. A hallway and a Laundry room.

I think I wanna do the living/dining/kitchen room a neutral with one accent wall of something bolder. The flooring is a rusty chocolate color 20x20 tile.

Any suggestions for favorite SW colors? I can't really rely on my fiance's opinions because he's truly color blind. As far as the colors, I dont wanna do any pinks or purples. Other than that I am open to suggestions.

Also, what color would you paint a tongue&groove porch deck on a house w/ mossy-taupe siding.

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

I love my bedroom color...SW Compatible Cream with Napery on the ceiling. Golden Fleece, one step down on the same strip is lovely, too.

I have fun with the SW paint deck because it's organized so nicely. When my friend was trying to pick colors, I spread the whole thing out and told her to point to three sections that she liked. We went from there. It's funny how you can zero in on a strip or two once you narrow down the overall choices just that little bit.

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

By the way, do you know about colorcharts.org? If you had colors selected in another brand, that site will help you see comparable colors in Sherwin Williams' line.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I can't help too much as I'm not familiar with SW colors, only one and that is a silver blue, not a color you'd want I don't think.

I just wanted to comment on the accent wall you are thinking about. Remember when you do an accent that you have something on it to highlight like a fireplace for instance. An accent wall just to have it as an accent is not really attractive. Also, an accent wall does not always have to be a different color than the 3 other walls. Painting an accent wall just one shade darker than the other three will make a big impact. I find this method of accenting a wall much more pleasing to the eye.

My porch is painted. I'll post the photo of it when it was somewhat clean. It stays dirty with all the construction constantly going on. We tried to keep it clean but found it to be too difficult so now we just leave it dirty. LOL If you like the color I can get the name for you.

• Oakley
    15 years ago

Go to the SW website, below is the link which has a tool for you to play with showing colors in a room. It took me a few tries to get it right, so be patient.

I'm in the same boat you are with the SW fan deck here, while I'm trying to pick out three paint colors which needs to flow into each other. I've got 2, but I'm stuck on the room inbetween!

I want to add, a lot of your choices should be with what colors you like to decorate with.

Warning though. When I saw a color I really liked on the website, I would look for it on the fan deck and it wasn't there. So either the fan deck isn't updated or the website isn't.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Cursive, I used these SW colors.

SW Mannered Gold - Foyers, hallways, great room, stairwells
    SW Chamois - Dining Room
    SW Burlap - Kitchen, breakfast area
    SW Red Bay - Office

I am now working on colors for my PR on the main level, bedrooms, bathrooms, family room and the PR in the lower level.

• tiskers
    15 years ago

My small downstairs guest room is painted in SW's Rainwashed, and oh, I LOVE that color! It looks soft and soothing in every light. I would paint that same color again in a heartbeat!

• mcps
    15 years ago

My guest bath is SW Rainwahsed. I love it. Very fresh looking. It looks great with my chocolate brown shower curtain. One color a lot of people on here use, and I would like to use in my living-dining room, is SW Blonde. It is a neutral gold color. I remember one poster said she used it all over her house.

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

We stained our porch decking so you might consider that an option as well. There are many more colors than just shades of brown to choose from. Ours is chocolate because our house will be a creamy yellow.

A hint I just figured out on porch colors: consider the color of your dirt. We have light sandy colored soil here that tracks badly over chocolate... looks like I am going to be doing a lot of sweeping!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

paint chips, I figure I'll be spending more time keeping the porch clean than I will my easy care floors on the inside!

• tiskers
    15 years ago

mcps,
    I'd like to see pictures of that home painted in the SW Blonde... I love it on the chip! Is there a link you could direct me to?
    Thank you!
    Lynn

• parma42
    15 years ago

Tiskers, I have my home done in a majority of Blonde and Ivoire (upstairs in different colors). Most of these pics are from when we just moved in, so please excuse just about everything.

The kitchen and breakfast are Blonde and the lighter Ivoire in the DR, LR and halls.

The Blonde is a bit warmer, IRL, and isn't photographing that well. Bought a new camera (thanks to GWer's help) but haven't played with it yet.

• tiskers
    15 years ago

Oh Parma,
    Thanks for the photos. I LOVE your home and the paint color is BEAUTIFUL! I have that paint chip swatch here, and love the Ivoire, too! Those two colors are major contenders for the new kitchen. Thank you!
    (BTW, I love SW paint. I know BM is very popular around here, but we don't have a BM dealer in our area. But our SWs is very close and very friendly -- love 'em!!!) ;o)

• tfm1134
    15 years ago

I just painted my den in SW Whole Wheat and love it! It is very warm. We are getting ready to paint the foyer in Believable Buff

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

I used Believable Buff in my foyer. It's a very pretty neutral color and really makes my dark stained entry doors stand out. For the rest of my living areas, I'll probably be using Whole Wheat and Burlap for the walls, Antique White for the doors and trim, and Creamy for the ceilings.

• Jeannine
    15 years ago
  • cursivesailor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DEB- Do you have a picture of the Red Bay? I was thinking about using that for my front door.

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Cursive, I will take a picture, upload and post it for you today.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals