Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skypathway1

I need any and all advise on how to handle this

Skypathway1
9 years ago

I'm looking for any and all suggestions. We built our house 16 years ago and it's time to do a lot of updates. We plan to stay in the house for another 5 years and then sell to relocate closer to our children.

How would you organize doing all the work? Should we do it all at once with one contractor? Should we break it up into smaller projects and multiple contractors? Who would you call to do what work? In what order? Nothing is broken, rather we want to update so we can enjoy the changes while making the house more appealing to sell in the future. I would like to have all this work completed this year. I am not looking forward to the noise, mess, intrusion into my life and construction debris but I am looking forward to a fresher, more up to date home.

These are the projects -the whole interior needs new paint.

Powder Room -new quartz or quartzite (or maybe something else?) countertop, sink, faucet, remove large glued on wall mirror and replace with modern framed mirror and probably paint or stain current shaker style maple vanity. Will need plumber to change pipes for change in counter/sink.

Kitchen-- new quartz or quartzite (or maybe something else?) countertop, sink, faucet, tile backsplash. Will need plumber to change pipes for change in counter/sink. Update light over table. May paint maple cabinets now or leave them wood and paint just before selling to whatever is the current popular colors if maple isn't popular.

Masterbath ensuite - I want to redo most of this room. Replace ugly whirlpool tub with modern clawfoot, redo shower stall, new floor, tile on wall/shower etc. new quartz or quartzite (or maybe something else?) countertop, sink, faucet, remove large glued on wall mirror and replace with modern framed mirror and probably paint or stain current shaker style maple vanity. Update light fixtures in room. Will need plumber to change pipes for change in counter/sink.

Hall Bath - new quartz or quartzite (or maybe something else?) countertop, sink, faucet, remove large glued on wall mirror and replace with modern framed mirror and probably paint or stain current shaker style maple vanity. Will need plumber to change pipes for change in counter/sink. I may want to change the floor as I'm bored with the ceramic tile in there currently, however it's in good condition and basically white as is the woodwork throughout the house. Update light fixtures in room.

Redo the area above the family room fireplace to hold all the "boxes". We did this two years ago and Comcast just changed some of their equipment and OMG the internet modem is huge and doesn't fit.

I have a complete bathroom in the basement level that will not be touched.

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate the help.

Sky

Comments (6)

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

A picture will speak a thousand words--post pics. You will get more specific input.

What is even more important than the materials you use, is the materials/quality of workmanship of the comps in your area. Also, you will need to factor in age as well as condition of your home as it relates to other comps in your neighborhood. I would do a thorough investigation of all comps in my area and price range on Zillow, Trulia etc. before I would drop a dime on my home. You could possibly be anticipating improvements you may not even have to make.

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

I would also cross post this in the home buying and selling message board:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/realestate/

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do it all at once, it won't get done all at once anyway. You have plenty of time.

Start with the smaller projects. If you are working with a contractor who hasn't proven himself, and he doesn't work for you, then you find out on a small project not all at once.

They can work one project at a time. Some contractors like to tear up a whole house at once, so then they are guaranteed the entire job. It might be in your own best interest to contract one complete project at a time. lets say you contract for projects a, b, c, d, e, and f. The contractor might pull out walls and counters in a, b, and c (maybe not have to do walls on e and f) so he goes around the house doing a little here a little there and nothing ever seems to be complete and you start losing track of your budget. But if he does a, then b, then c, then d -probably take as much time, the house will be messy for the same amount of time, etc, and you can decide better what and when you want the next contract (phase) of the reno to be signed off.

These shouldn't all be big messy projects, except the master bath. Start with the one that is the most important for you. If I was working with someone new (doesn't matter if he's a friend of a friend or a brother in law of my sister in law that I had over for Thanks Giving that one time, If he has never done work for me he is new and untested) I would start with the powder room, it would give me a good idea of the level of work that could be done, and if the PR is a tiny bit wonky, it won't matter as much as other projects. Then I would go with the master bathe, because that will probably cost the most and it might not be where I would want to cut corners. The other projects are done in what ever order, writing a new contract for each and every individual project.

• Skypathway1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mmmbeeer - I will post pictures when I'm deciding on the decorative choices - this post is just a how to organize and carry out the project. I mean I can post pictures but I don't think it will make much difference to the advice I'm looking for.

I do appreciate the advice about researching the value of my home so I don't over improve. I have been doing this. And I'll cross post this tomorrow in the home buying and selling message board - thanks - that's a great idea.

Lilylore - that's a great idea - the powder room is clearly the smallest room and least likely to cause disruption - and if I like the contractor I can continue. I'm glad you pointed out that some contractors like to tear up the whole house at one time. In reading what you wrote - I think I would feel more comfortable doing one room at a time rather than living with chaos everywhere.

Wow, I didn't expect such great responses so quickly. thank you. This is exactly the info I need to help me thing through this.

• User
    9 years ago

You'll get a better deal for all of the stone fabrication by doing it all at once. Most fabricators can deal with unhooking and hooking up sinks. You won't need any real plumbing changes for that. That's the biggest chunk of your projects, and won't be that disruptive to do.

The tile and tub changes will be disruptive and messier, but a small contractor should be able to handle all of that for you. If it really needs doing. Don't spend money on redoing something because you're bored with it.

Changes like you're talking about rarely pay for themselves in increased home value unless what exists is really gross. I wouldn't do the mirror project at all. Or the tub, if it's functional. And I'd examine the state of the kitchen fully before setting what's there under stone.

It's a mistake I see a lot of people making. Many buyers would rather pick their own taste in updates to a 20 year old house. And 20 year old cabinetry is likely to be a target for a gut remodel. Stone counters on top of 20 year old cabinets will be more of a liability than an asset to that.

• amykath
    9 years ago

How large is your half bath? That would be a good place to start. Will you share with us just a photo of that space? It may be we can see it and help you save some money with some ideas. I have redone many parts of previous homes and if done right and on a more frugal budget you can get back or more than what you put into it.

If you did you entire house at once, that could be a terrible disruption to your lives. You need at least one bathroom to use.