Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunsoleil

Removing scratches from glass tabletop

sunsoleil
9 years ago

I have a Calligaris dining table with a glass top and it seems to scratch quite easily. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck removing scratches from a tempered glass top.

Comments (10)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I haven't and honestly I don't see the scratches anymore but they are definitely there. I wonder if a professional glass installer would have a solution ?

• porkandham
    9 years ago

I think your best bet would be to consult with a glazier.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I bought a glass table at C&B's scratch and dent area almost a year ago for a great price-- but the glass had some scratches on it... I was determined to do something with it-- spoke to a glass company and they said if the scratches can be really felt with your fingernail they couldn't buff them out totally successfully- he said if they were very superficial scatches, they could remove them. I was going to paint the scatched surface and flip it so it was on the bottom sortof like glass tiles, but I didn't like me little sample corner- I decided to either replace the glass or just keep as is and now it doesn't even bother me-- it's not as apparent as when standing under the lights in the store and I usually have some things on the table that help mask them....

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have one glass shop in town and they said they don't do any glass polishing. I've read about cerium oxide, but I didn't know if anyone has tried anything like this at home.

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Busybee, I hope I can get to that point--that would be the easiest solution:)

• alex9179
    9 years ago

The glass shops that used to be within a reasonable distance have closed in the last few years. I bought a coffee table from Goodwill with a glass top that has a couple of significant scratches. I worried over it at first, but I tend to place decor/flowers/plants over the worst area. I don't even notice the ones that show, anymore.

It comes down to new/full price or bargain/loved it with flaws. At least, when my youngest uses the surface for his matchbox cars, I don't blink an eye. This may be why new and pristine things don't attract me.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I have a round glass tabletop that has those "significant scratches" along with another problem: It has a milky white splotches all over. It was left outdoors for a long time and I wonder if this is oxidation? I've tried everything to get it off and nothing works. I've thought of painting it, but I've never painted glass. Any suggestions?

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Tomatofreak, here is a list I found with a couple of things I hadn't heard. Vaseline for 4-5 days or toothpaste.

Check out the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning cloudy glass

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

My advice is learn to live with it. Trying to polish a scratch out yourself will result in an expanded area of fine haziness that will be more noticeable than the original scratch, and probably won't entirely get rid of the scratch anyway. In addition, there are limits to what can be done with tempered glass as too much physical vibration from a power tool could trigger it to shatter.

My dining room table has a collection of fine scratches that have happened over the years. I added a finely woven runner that goes down the middle of the table and covers about 1/4 of the top: it draws attention away from the minor defects.

• Lars
    9 years ago

Try contacting someone who repairs auto windshields. They may be able to repair it, but it will not be cheap. There might be a way to buy whatever it is they use to remove scratches and cracks from windshields. I have used UV glass glue to repair broken glass, and something like that might work to fill scratches, but I have not tried it.

Lars