Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

Family room decor questions

phiwwy
10 years ago

It's been a while since I've been on GW, been enjoying the kitchen and other renovated areas. Just bought the pictured leather couch, upholstered recliner and a rug which has not come in yet. I would like to have the armchair repaired and think it would be nice in this room. Lastly, I hope to find a small coffee table with cubes for playing games, additional seating. This room is open to the kitchen, no TV, just a piano. What would you cover the arm chair in? Walls are BM Revere Pewter, the natural woven shades are a dark gray and the leather is a greenish brown. The kitchen accent is lime green.

Comments (26)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I would do something fun and bright, probably in a solid color velvet or leather.

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

What tones/colors are in the rug you're getting?

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the rug I've ordered. It's really beautiful in person. a tiny bit more subtle than the photo shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: jacquard rug - ethan allen

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd add a little color...maybe do a green like the smaller circle in the throw pillow on the sofa

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I think a bright green would be fun, add color, and match the kitchen accents

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Bright green or one of the greyish blues from the other chair.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I'm actually kind of liking the orange tone in the chair now. It's a little unexpected and not so matchy matchy as green would be. Maybe not that exact color, but something from the coral family to complement the green.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I like the current color too.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Because everything in your room now is either brown, beige or green, any other color you use on the chair is not going to be,cohesive looking unless you carry that color over to wall art, decorative pillows or throws. If you're looking for a more monochromatic look, I'd go with a beige.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are so helpful, thank you. Finally I can post a photo of the adjoining kitchen. The accents in the kitchen are lime green - and as you've seen, a less bright green in the family room in question.

• amykath
    10 years ago

phylh,

I think picking a blue or green from the chair would look very nice

Also, what color are your living room walls? I love it! Your home is beautiful and your kitchen is gorgeous!

Thanks!

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. The accent color in my kitchen and connecting family room is lime green as well. I love it! I would definitely stick to the green family for the chair. Any one of the colors in the accent pillows or the recliner. I don't think i'd introduce a new color .

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

k9arlene - would you post a few pix or a link to your home? i'd love to see it!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aktillery - forgot to answer - the walls in the kitchen and connected family room are BM Revere Pewter. Mostly looks gray, sometimes takes on a green hue. love it. and thank you! here's another shot of the kitchen from the family room.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a few fabric possibilities. Love to hear what you all think. This one is a green Greek key pattern. I also found a good, i think, fabric for the ottoman that i think i will use. it's red underneath so either a slipcover or re upholster.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's another one. more neutral. I'll post closeups of the patterns.
    Thanks all!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the 2 fabrics together, with the lighter green backdrop on the ottoman.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

What is the fabric on the right side of the picture just above this post? It looks blue or grey? Assuming that's the "more neutral", I vote against it - I just think the greens add something to the room in a coordinated fashion, and the neutral is just "blah".

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Nix on the grayish fabric. I'd almost be inclined to use the greek key on both the chair and the ottoman. Wish I knew how to post my family room pics. I've got 2 brown leather sofas, a cream leather chair and 2 lime green velvet swivel barrel chairs with lots of lime green pillows and lime green glass bowls and vases. Love it!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like the green, or even more purple! And some creamy white furry pillows, maybe even a Flokati rug.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think i would go with green, but the 1st photo you showed with the fabric swatches you called the greek key look too yellow on my screen--- i would want a more vibrant green (tho the swatch photo shown up close of the key fabric doesn't seem to have the yellowish cast as much...?)
    or, i agree- if you could find a purple similar to the pillow color, that might look nice too!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The rug is in, and I'm really liking the green greek key pattern shown on the armchair. What do you think for the ottoman? Green greek key again, or the light green solid as shown in the pix? Or one of the others I posted in earlier photos?
    Thanks all!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Just wanted to say how much I love your kitchen!

About your room here, I like the green greek key too and would do it on both chair and ottoman. With anything else and it looks like pattern overload to me. But I'm not one for a lot of pattern either.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

The figured chair in the foreground....is there any way to make pillows for your sofa of the same material? I would take one of the colors in the figured chair and use it for the ottoman and chair....right now I like the goldish (at least on my monitor) you have on the ottoman and I would do the same fabric for the chair.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I like the idea of pattern on the chair and solid on the ottoman. It's going to be beautiful which ever way you go. I love the green accents throughout the house.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I'm looking at my family room now with the brown leather sofas and apple green velvet chairs and apple green accessories and I really do love it. I also have apple green accessories and touches in my connecting kitchen as well. I think you should think about doing the chair and ottoman in an apple green velvet to liven up the family room. The greek key fabric will look good, but I think the room really needs a fun pop of color to coordinate with your kitchen.