Figured I'd show some progress.

Old light.
{{!gwi}}
New light.
{{gwi:2142514}}
{{gwi:2142515}}
{{gwi:2142516}}
{{gwi:2142517}}

Looking at the photo, I think it should be lowered (it's 32" from table), but looks fine to me IRL and will stay that way. The arms of the old light was 34" above the table! (very center of old light was 32".)

May - Thank you for finding this light. I really like it. Overall the shades appear more ivory. It could even be used with just the glass frosted globes if I wanted a different look. I'm still not sure what or how many lights we'll be using for the island. I figured I still have some time to figure that out. Might be easier once the kitchen unfolds more.

I'm still staining. Those who replied to my how many coats thread, after testing a third coat on the back of a door DH and I both said immediately that was it. You can still see the grain, but the overall finish just looks so much better and the color a bit richer. I was trying to hard to convince myself 2 coats was good, but it bugged me. The picture I posted of the opaque stained cabinets in another thread - if I were to guess, I'd say they used five coats.

I'm having difficulty finding time to finish so it's going slow. Hopefully I'll have more updates soon.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 21:54

Comments (13)

• voila
    9 years ago

That's such a pretty update to your kitchen! Can't wait to see it all unfold. All your hard work will really pay off in the end. You are going to love it. Use that as inspiration to keep on slogging through all the staining.

• mwatkins01
    9 years ago

That looks beautiful! Hope you have a great Xmas!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Looks really nice in your pretty room. Glad you are happy!

• AngieS80
    9 years ago

Ohhhhhhh, I LOVE it!!! Makes me want to put it up in our house, but our house is not chandy material. :)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

That is a very pretty fixture, or maybe I should have said understated elegance. I like it a lot.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Beautiful choice, Shee!

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

What an amazing choice, I love it in your decor !

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Oh yeah, that was a good choice. Love the darker finish and simpler design.

• User
    9 years ago

Love it! Agree it could be lowered some, but it is a lovely update to your kitchen and I really like the shade detail! It's exciting to see things coming along in your kitchen, Shee :-)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Glad it worked out! It's simple but with some nice touches to make it interesting.The shade color looks good to me--not seeing any buttery undertones. Sounds like the cabinets are going to be beautiful.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

The new chandy looks great! You old one is similar to one I just replaced in my dining area. While not hideous, changing it out went a long way towards updating the room :)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant - I agree. I found I was asking myself if I really wanted to change the light since I felt it could certainly be worse, but I'm glad I did. The chandelier bothered me less than the island light, but once we decided we were going to change them it made sense to grab this first.

The new light is a little wider than the old one and I was hoping it didn't look too big, but since it's more petite in style I think it actually looks even smaller and works.

There's about 1/2" or so wiggle room that I could lower it, but I don't know that it's really visually worth it.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by sheesharee on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 14:24