Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

Should I paint these stair risers?

lorishopaholic
9 years ago

I'm thinking about painting my stair risers white and would love your opinions! Also, if anyone has done this did you sand them first or just prime and what type of paint would be best? Thanks!

Comments (31)

• aprilmack
    9 years ago

Lorishopaholic,

If it were my home I wouldn't paint the stair risers.

• aprilmack
    9 years ago

Lorishopaholic,

If it were my home I wouldn't paint the stair risers.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I think they would look great painted. However, if you paint the risers, you will need to set aside time for an annual touch up. They will be kicked as people go up and down the stairs.

Here is a very crudely edited photo that may give you an idea of how they will look. If you want an on site idea of how it will be, why not tape white paper to the risers.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Gosh, I love painted stair risers, but I really like your stairs as they are.

I'd definitely do the mock up as suggested.

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

I think painting them makes them look cheap, plus you will be making a rod for your own back having to constantly clean them and touch them up. THey look lovely as is.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I'd leave them as they are! I too find the painted risers to look cheap. And if you ever want to put a nice runner on the stairs, it's going to look much better to keep the stained wood riser (imo)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

They have a richer quality as-is, don't paint them white. What a hassle, having to clean scuffs and touch-up chips annually. They are so beautiful right now, and tie in really nicely with the floor and view beyond.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Cheap white pine risers get painted.

Leave yours alone. The natural wood is really pretty.

• amykath
    9 years ago

If you want to lighten them, maybe use a runner? The wood is so lovely! It would be a shame to paint it.

However, it is not my home and you should do what you really like. Just consider it before going through with it. Painting them will also show scuff marks and dirt.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

No to the paint

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I also like painted stairs, but the wood is such a beautiful color. I wouldn't do it.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I would definitely paint the risers. Your stairs are a very pretty shape, but the oak risers have taken stain differently from the treads, or perhaps the treads are a different wood? and to my eye that look is a little distracting. I'm not a huge fan of stained oak, either, so to me it would naturally look better painted. The effect of your staircase is very dark overall, as there are no painted newel posts or pickets. Painting the risers would light the area up a bit and perhaps show off your floors to better advantage.

Wouldn't worry too much about an annual touch up painting. It's not that much of chore and if the treads are sized properly peoples' shoes shouldn't regularly be banging into the risers! We paint when necessary but clean the risers a couple of times a year instead of painting over boot marks.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Definitely I would not paint them.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The oak veneer on your risers will not take paint in the same fashion pine or fir risers do. You will first have to strip the finish off these risers before filling the grain, priming and painting, and I doubt that you will be satisfied with the outcome. No to the paint.

Based on your previous posts, you might want to consider buying a fixer upper with built in projects to do.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Please, please, please don't paint them...it is a decision you can never come back from. I believe that risers are painted when a cheaper wood is used for the riser than for the treads...painting them will make your beautiful, rich look staircase look cheap. Ours were painted when we moved in and I tried to strip and restain them...honest to God, I worked on those stairs, on and off, for the better part of a year and never could get them to look decent...ended up repainting them. I also have to touch them up at least once or twice a year.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Please, please, please don't paint them...it is a decision you can never come back from. I believe that risers are painted when a cheaper wood is used for the riser than for the treads...painting them will make your beautiful, rich look staircase look cheap. Ours were painted when we moved in and I tried to strip and restain them...honest to God, I worked on those stairs, on and off, for the better part of a year and never could get them to look decent...ended up repainting them. I also have to touch them up at least once or twice a year.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

A runner would look much better than painted risers on your style of staircase.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Your stairway is so pretty as is. Please don't paint...do as others suggest, if you want a change, and put a runner on them.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

No Way.

• glad2b
    9 years ago

No - they are gorgeous! :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I kind of like the idea of black risers (and posts) with the wrought iron balusters. I think it would give your foyer a sophisticated look. With a nice runner, it would be gorgeous.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 17:52

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I wouldn't paint them and definitely not white. Maybe black. Your kitchen looks like is has the same kind of wood, so white doesn't necessarily complement the rest of your house.

I'd get a nice runner if you feel they need something.

However, if you're determined to paint, I'd just cut some card board and do a white (or black) mock-up.

Here's a before/after of white and black:
    {{gwi:2142506}}

Other ideas:
    {{gwi:2142507}}

{{gwi:2142508}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Gosh, I'm liking the black a lot! If you were to do it in black, I'd do the same sheen as the treads, and I'd also VERY CAREFULLY, and using tape, paint the overhang from the floor in the hallway above, so that it looks black from the foyer but so that you can't see it when you're walking down the hall when upstairs.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for all the feedback and ideas! It was pretty much unanimous to not paint them! My hubby is military so I know we will be selling in a few years which is why I always like to get everyone's opinion in hopes that what we do will appeal to most when we do sell. I attached a updated picture because I realized I had put a older one up before we changed the lighting in the hall and kitchen.

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

I'm late to the party, but glad to see you're not painting them. I was thinking yes before I opened the thread, but I actually like them as is. I'd add a runner if you're looking for some added interest.
    Very pretty.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

I would leave them as is and add a runner. I always wondered if steps without a runner get scuffed up over time?

My only input is it appears your wood floor stain and stair stain is off a bit - so that draws your eye to the staircase as being a bit "off". I don't think painting the risers white will fix that and while I liked the pictures of the black risers posted, I don't think they will go in your house with the white trim. Your metal railings look bronze? Not black so that's why I don't think black risers will work.

I suggest a carpet runner - I love a textured carpet as a stair runner or even an oriental type design.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

After seeing the last photo, would recommend painting even more strongly. You have a lot of different stain colors in the floor, treads and risers. Your molding is at least a uniform color so I would use that on the risers and thus eliminate one of the different stainss.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

They're gorgeous just the way they are. I'm on the no paint side. Painted risers usually mean cheaper wood was used there and they only splurged on the steps. Show them in all their glory.

• momfromthenorth
    9 years ago

Another vote for no paint. But maybe add a pretty runner.
    I agree with others - paint only if the wood is cheap and doesn't look nice. Your wood is lovely.

I would be inclined to give the wrought iron posts a coat of gloss black paint to clean them up and give them more definition... and maybe paint your white iron table by the mirror in gloss black also.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If that was going to be a "forever" home, I would paint the risers, black, since I think it would give the stairs and foyer some sophistication (along with your wrought iron balusters) and weight, but if you think you won't be there long, I wouldn't touch them. Not worth the labor, cost, expense, etc.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz