Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portwest

Small Electric Fireplace on Carpet?

portwest
14 years ago

Hello,

IÂm trying to work out a plan for my tiny living room and hoping someone here might help me. This seems more like an issue for the decorating forum rather than the fireplaces forum.

Here goes: IÂve got a small townhouse and am in the process of fixing a problem with the floor in my living room area. The room is small, half dining area and half living area. The dining area is tiled; the living area will be carpeted (canÂt do tile or hardwood because of my floor problem).

I found a small white electric fireplace for the living area, and while I know some folks think theyÂre tacky, my budget is very tight and IÂm actually kinda excited about it, as IÂve really missed having a fireplace --- it will also create a badly needed focal point for the room. What I canÂt figure out is whether to simply set it on the carpet or to build a small hearth or "plate" to set it on --- either from wood, stone or tile.

Assuming we can get past the issue of whether or not "fake fireplaces" look okay, do you think a fireplace would look funny sitting directly on my carpet? I canÂt find any photos on the web of a fireplace sitting directly on carpet. If IÂm going to create a "hearth" or plate of some sort, I have to decide before getting the carpet installed.

I appreciate any advice you might have for me.

Portwest

Here's my fireplace:

Comments (12)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"Do you think a fireplace would look funny sitting directly on my carpet?"

Yes.

Even if the electric fireplace manufacturer say it is perfectly safe to do it would still look funny running carpet right up to the hearth.

"I canÂt find any photos on the web of a fireplace sitting directly on carpet."

There is a reason that you don't see photos of this being done - because it isn't done that way.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I would create a tile hearth area for the unit.

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

Yes, you would want tile under the unit. If you aren't sure that you will want the FP there forever, maybe you could put carpet under the area and then build a low box (kind of like a stage) for the FP to sit on. The box could be tiled with small tiles. That way, if you ever change your mind about the FP, all you would have to do is take the box away.

• portwest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it's unanimous then. ;-)

I've got a few extra tiles from the dining area, so I can use those to set the fireplace on.

Thanks!
    Portwest

• portwest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

IÂm back! This time, looking for help creating a "hearth". IÂve been trying to find photos on the web, but canÂt really find anything that would work.

Again, this is a small townhouse. The dining area is terrazzo tile; the living area is carpet. I do have a few tiles that I could use to set the fireplace on, or I could try to build something out of brick. I could also do what deltabreee suggested and build a "stage" for it. Most of the photos and discussions I see here are for full-sized homes, not tiny townhouses like mine, so I donÂt know whether anyone can relate, but, while I donÂt have a lot of money, I donÂt want it to look cheap or tacky, either.

Any ideas? Has anyone else ever done such a thing?

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

Just to confirm,the FP would go where the shaded pink box is? Did you think about swapping the TV and FP?

• portwest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi,

Yes,the pink-shaded box is the fireplace. Sorry, I should have made that clear. The reason I can't swap it with the TV --- which, by the way, is a really good idea --- is that the wall behind the pink shaded area actually sticks out a bit. There's a large duct behind it, so a 40-inch wide piece of the wall sticks out three inches. The fireplace is 36 inches wide, and I figure it will make the "sticking out" part of the wall look a bit more normal. (Does that make sense??)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

If you raise it onto bricks, I would secure it to the wall. Maybe they are secured to the wall anyway?

Why don't you like it in front of the tv???

Where are the windows and entrances to the room?

On the short wall will not work?

• painteddragon
    14 years ago

If your tiles are 12x12 have a peice of plywood cut to 5x2 and a piece of half round cut to cover 3 sides of the plywood, the fourth side will go up along the wall, if you have the half round stick up from the plywood by just a little bit it will form a lip to hold the tiles in place. instant harth.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

That looks like awkward tv viewing. I'm guessing the windows are on the short wall. Maybe a corner fp unit?

• Michele Mccarthy
    4 months ago

Your fireplace is beautiful,I have a black one and the legs broke,so I put it directly on my carpet,and it looks great,not tacky at