Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna214

Help me pick a color for my new kitchen pic heavy

donna214
15 years ago

Hello all. I have spent most of this past year over on the kitchen forum, but decided to come here for help with my kitchen colors. My kd has suggested BM potters clay for the walls, cream fleece for the trim and monroe bisque for the ceilings. I was worried about the potters clay being too orangy, but she said the ceiling color will tone it down a bit. Antone think this will work?

Comments (24)

• debb
    15 years ago

Yes - those colours are VERY nice for your space. I cannot comment on the cream fleece, I don't have that in my fan deck, but I do think the other 2 colours indicate that your kitchen designer has good colour sense. Do YOU like those colours?

• Oakley
    15 years ago

I think the potter's clay is too orange, unless you like orange. I'd go in the red spectrum to match the flower in the tile. Plus, it's easy to decorate with as far as knick nacks go!

• debb
    15 years ago

I forgot to ask what your floors will be?

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Debb, I love the colors for the trim and ceiling, but undecided on the potters clay, just wanted someone elses opinion. The floors are white oak with minwax english chestnut stain. I'm just glad to hear someone say those colors will work.

oakleyok, that is my concern, that it is too orange, but it does look a bit more orange on my computer monitor than in person.

BTW cream fleece is a BM classic color # 233

Thanks!

Do you think as my kd claims that the ceiling color and trim color will tone it down a bit?

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Assuming that is the potter's clay on the wall, I think it's very nice and not too bright. Once the floor goes in it will balance it out. It also goes with the accent tile so beautifully, I love that bricky/soft teal combo you have going there. The bricky wall and the counter colors will echo it. What a beautiful kitchen, yum yum. And what is that gorgeous stuff your counters are made of? You must be so happy with your new kitchen!

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I would have no problem with all three colors. They're perfect compliments to the room but the bigger question is do YOU like the colors? There are sooo many color combos that would look good but,if you are not feeling the potters clay ask her to run a few more combinations by you. I think it's more important that you feel happy with the colors. From a color point of view they work wonderfully. As a potter I love the color, lol

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I can't say if all three colors work together or not as I don't have a fan deck with me, but personally I don't care for the potters clay with your kitchen. While it does match to the little flowers I feel takes your kitchen in a more rustic/tuscan direction whereas the rest is more serene and cool. I'd prefer to see something in the blue range to accent your counters and the deco strips. Then you can get more decorative accents--like pottery or jars to put on your counters to bring in more of the accent color of the little flowers.

Lovely kitchen, BTW.

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone.

bigdoglover, the counters are soapstone, one of my favorite things about the kitchen. It is a variety called Beleza and so soft and silky to the touch. BTW, my camera is not the best, so the tile colors are off a bit, Although the ginko tile shows as a bit tealy, it is actually more of a moss green.

valinsv, actually the counters show a s more of a green tint than blue in person also.

Thanks for all of your input.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I think it looks fine, but it seems you do not like it, so have your decorator pick another combo. There is not a lot of wallspace to paint and the Potters Clay would be more of an accent.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen and would have to say that I also think the Potter's Clay would look great. My only disclaimer would be that the color combination happens to be one of my favorites. :)

I have a cooler green/black granite in our master bath and painted it in SW Cavern Clay.

Val is correct about the cool/warm aspects of your paint choice. It all depends on the feel you prefer for your room.

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks parma, I actually am going for a warm inviting look and I think I'm going to go with it. I do trust my kd, she was able to take my vision and come up with this great kitchen that I love. The color will also carry over in to the dinette area so although not much wall space in the kitchen, there is a bit of wall space in the dinette. Thanks for all of your input.

• msrose
    15 years ago

This may be darker than what you want, but look at the colors caryscott and abbycat9990 used. They're more of a rusty orange.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: rusty orange

• teacats
    15 years ago

I would perfer to see a soft gold color that would work with the tone of the main flower -- perhaps Laura Ashley Gold #2?

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks msrose. While those colors look great, I think it would be a bit to rusty for me.

teacats, I also love golds, but it seems they would make the cabinets look yellow. I want them to appear more creamy.

• debb
    15 years ago

Hi how are the kitchen colours going? Did you decide to stay with the kd's recommendations? Please post a picture after you are painted and have floor in. I think it will be gorgeous. Is your whole house a new build - or just the kitchen? Good luck with it all.

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Debb, I am going with her recommendation. The potters clay has grown on me and we get started with the painting on Monday. This was not a new build. Our home is about 100 years old with craftsman details. It was a fairly large reno. The addition holds the new kitchen, powder room and mudroom. Our old kitchen is now our dining room and our old dining room is now the eat in portion of the kitchen. Will post pictures as the painting gets underway.

Also chose the color for our mudroom. The cubbies are BM James River Gray and I'm doing the walls in Revere Pewter. It is rather small so I can't really get a good picture of the whole room but here are the cubbies that were sprayed by our carpenter for a furniture finish. This is our fun room so I am doing the trim in James River Gray too. The floor is slate. I'm also looking for some fun hooks for the cubbies.

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks auntjen, it's been a long time coming and I'm very happy with how it's turned out. I agonized over the seemingly hundreds of decisions and you saying it's a charming kitchen just delights me. Crown molding is going in now and prep sink and faucets should go in tomorrow. I will post more pictures soon.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous!

I was thinking a very pale greyish blue color for the kitchen, not orange at all. I would introduce shots of orange in artwork & accessories.

For the mudroom, I think a greyish taupe that pick up the color of the tile floor would be beautiful.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

Well, I hate anything orange unless we're talking modern accents...that said and that aside, I don't like it. I agree with what was said above that it's taking the kitchen in a totally new direction...But maybe that's the direction you want to go...the accent tiles are more homey and country, so if that's what you're going for, the orange may work...I would do a grey/green/blue though to keep a more updated feel...that's just me

• mdc08
    15 years ago

I think BM Richmond Gold which is a warm butterscotchish (is that a word) color would be great! We have it in 2 bedrroms and 2 baths, and it is the favorite color of everyone who sees it! It would be great in a kitchen. :) Good luck hunting colors!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I "know" Potter's Clay and think it is very beautiful. But, I love orange! I have one concern, however. There are a few skinny strips of wall beside the fridge and the sink window. I don't think they'll look good with a strong color. What is the plan there?

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Oh yes, I agree with mdc08, the richmond gold hc41, love that color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benjamin moore richmond gold hc41

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I just went out and bought a sample of Richmond Gold. After the plumbers leave I'll take more pictures of the connected dinette area and dining room which will be the same colors and post.

Question: Will the Richmond Gold go well with the BM Cream Fleece for the trim and BM Monroe Bisque for the ceiling?