Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texashottie

What's your opinion on this table for my black DR?

texashottie
16 years ago

You guys remember my black dining room:

{{!gwi}}

Well, I've been eyeing this EJ Victor table for the last few months. It's come down in price at my local store and I'm tempted to pick it up.

My room is small---I really don't have the room to put in anything but a table and chairs. I like the fact that it's round and that the leaves can be removed---it's very well constructed. When the leaves are in, I have about 32-36" to the wall, which is a little tight. But I haven't found much else that will fit in this room without being too large that it invades my foyer.

This pic doesn't do it justice--it has a formal, polished and glossy top, and the wood grains really make a statement. There is a small inlay in the center. I really only want a round table. Also I like that it's cleaner-lined for my dining room.

What do you think?

It doesn't have chairs.... that will probably be next year's big purchase.

Am I headed in the right direction? What are your opinions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Table

Comments (21)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Absolutely in the right direction! That table is exactly what you need to make the room sing. It's fabulou, yet understated, yet terribly classy! I love it!

I'd love to see mahogany chippendale style chairs with perhaps a black and white toile seat....heh heh but I'll let you choose!

• juddgirl2
    16 years ago

What a beautiful dining room area! I love your black walls - never would have thought of doing that myself - and the design of your wood floors.

A round table for the square space would be perfect, and I think that the one that you've posted is wonderful. If you love it, then you should definitely get it. What kind of chairs would you use?

• lovetorenovate
    16 years ago

i really like it... go for it!

• les917
    16 years ago

I think it is a nice table, and I am sure the wood details are amazing. I went the the EJ Victor site and looked at some other tables that have amazing detail as well.

That said, I just feel the pedestal is the wrong fit for the details already in the room - the crystal chandeliers and heavy detail on the wainscot, as well as the furniture and details in the foyer which act as an introduction to the DR, feel more formal and ornate than that table does. I agree that a round table would be wonderful in there.

However, if it speaks to you and feels right for the space, then you should go for it. Only you can truly judge what the room wants and needs.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Wow on that room and yes the table would be just great in there.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

I think it's a wonderful choice for your fabulous room!

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

That's a beautiful table!!

Now let me throw out this food for thought. How big is your dining room (as in dimensions)? Reason I am asking is if you ever want to add a sideboard or buffet of anykind, then it's going to be tight on the sides after you add chairs. An 84" diameter table is very large. With a rectangular or even oval table, you would have plenty of room to add some other pieces down the road and won't feel like you are on furniture overload.

The other question that comes to mind, is if you & DH are having a dinner party for just 2 other guests, will you want to sit at an 84" table - you'll be spread out quite a bit. Think king size bed which is 76x80"...for 4 or even 6 people? Or is that the size with the expansion pieces? What is the normal size without the inserts?

Maybe the store will let you take it home and see how it works in that space. Some will...

Your DR is gorgeous! ;)

• texashottie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW! You guys are fast!! I was trying to find this above pic from BH&G because I recognized the table. I think it's the same one.

Sippimom, I don't think I can put in a buffet or anything else---I've already come to that conclusion (Even if I went with an oval/rectangle). I like round because I think I can fit more people around it comfortably. And yes, 84" is with the expansions.

Les, what do you mean about the pedestal? What does that pedestal say to you?? LOL!! I thought that the high-gloss table top made it more formal-looking. Do you think it's not formal enough? Talk to me. :)

As far as chairs.... I haven't gotten that far yet. They're so expensive! I'm slow to make decisions. I'm attracted to the Empire-style dining chairs---I'll post a link---minus all the carved dolphins? I just randomly found them---I don't know---I'm throwing it out there to let you guys tell me if I'm on the right path.

I also like the Louis XVI with the straighter, fluted legs.

I do like a little gold accent on the chairs. I think that dresses up the table more, especially if Les thinks the table isn't formal enough....

Here is a link that might be useful: crazy Empire chair

• gawlt
    16 years ago

What are the dimensions of the table when it is not extended?

We have a 72" round table in our kitchen and it is big even with 7-8 people around it. You can't pass dishes across the table, they need to be passed around the table. I keep thinking we need a lazy susan...not something you'd want in your dining room. I do love round tables and I think in your square room it would add a nice complimentary design touch.

You might consider mocking up the table at 84" to see how it would feel in the room. I use a card table and either cardboard boxes or contractors paper used to protect the floors cut in a circle. Grab some chairs from your kitchen and see how it feels.

When you go to pick your chairs, measure the width of your chairs at the front and determine how many can realistically fit under the table. I ordered 8 chairs from a different company than the table but realistically 7 fit better. The chairs are wide and touch each other at the front corner when 8 chairs are under the table. Obviously I didn't think about this. So one chair is in storage upstairs and only comes out for guests.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Gaw1, could you get away with an onyx, marble or granite lazy susan? I see those on eBay. Or find a regular one and put a very pretty china or silver tray on it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Onyx lazy susan

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

TH, I love the table and think it would look beautiful in your black dining room. As for the chairs I guess without all the dolphins they'd be OK, but they are way too much as shown, beautiful as they are, for your room. Though, I could be proven wrong once you have them in the room. Often something that really packs a punch like they would really makes the room.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

If you had just asked us cold what to put in there (and I know you didn't), I would say something like one of these, because that's what your dining room says to me...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Of course price is no object when I'm not paying. lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stunning antique tables

• jjam
    16 years ago

I love the look of the table you chose, and I think it would be stunning in your INCREDIBLE dining room. (One of my all time favorite rooms posted here) The only thing that I would think about is how you plan to use your room. I used to have a 52" round table in my kitchen and I loved the look, but didn't like it when just two or even three of us ate there. Especially if it's two, when you are across the table it's so far away, or if you are next to each other, it's odd because you aren't really facing each other, and then you have all kinds of empty space around you. Round tables are fantastic for a large group, and if that is what you will be using the space for, then go for it. I wonder if you could duplicate the look of the table you have chosen but still keep some versatility that you may want down the road. Maybe an even smaller circle that can expand easily like the one oceanna posted, or an oval table with leaves?? Either way, I think the look is great. Just be sure you are buying a table that will function well for your needs; you will be happier with it in the long run.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Some of the newer large round tables actually have a built in lazy susan in the middle. But if we have smaller groups of people at the table most of the time, say two or four, it makes sense to get a smaller round table that can become a longer oval when we add leaves for that Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, or the big party. I think that's probably the most practical for most situations. But as Jjam said, it depends on your intended usage. If you have a family of six that will eat there nightly, for instance, a larger round table makes great sense.

The table you picked out is lovely. If it suits your needs and you love it, then I hope you can get it and enjoy it for years to come. Your DR is exquisite, and seems very elegant and formal. You've done a fantastic job with your decorating choices and I'm sure whatever you decide on will be lovely.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

The table is beautiful. I like the simplicity of the table against the background of the chandeliers and all the wood trim especially if you are planning on ornate chairs.

If the price is right, go for it.

• texashottie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for the info and the suggestions! Gaw, I really appreciate what you had to say about picking dining room chairs---I would not have thought of that!

I cannot remember the dimension of the table without the leaves... I think it was around 48-52". That's the same size as my breakfast nook table, and I'm okay with that. I guess DH and usually find ourselves sitting side-by-side as opposed to across the table from one another.

I envisioned using the formal dining for those big holiday parties with relatives, etc. So I do want the option for seating that many people. The circle seems the best in such a small room. And yes, I already thought about a lazy susan---for sure you would need one!

Oceana, I like the table that you posted. It's similar to the one I'm looking at, but weightier and more decoration on the table edge. I just don't if it'd be too much in that room? I would also feel like I would need a simpler chair....

Les, where are you? :) I hope you post a second reply...

• georgiagal
    16 years ago

For what it's worth, I absolutely love the table & think it would be perfect in your already gorgeous DR! As for chairs, I can see something simpler too. I know you love ornate, but I think simpler might be better & more classic in the long run. The table to me is very much a formal & classic style table & would work well in your room.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Gorgeous -- I adore round tables (even though I've never had one) BUT do agree that the whole table/chairs do need to measured carefully because lots of room will be needed!

I would love to see Regency-style black-painted chairs with the round table. Just me ......

Didn't Oscar de la Renta design a round table?? With removable leaves?? Just wondering ......

• lindabarbara
    16 years ago

What I personally love about the table is that the radial pattern on the table echoes the pattern on the floor; it seems made for the space. I think it's a wonderful match and I don't think the style of the base has to exactly match the style of the house or room...it just all goes together.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Love the table. Wish it was mine. However, it will look much, much better in your room than it would mine. It will be lovely and a keeper. Keep the chairs simple and let the overall room do the singing its own song. Don't try to upstage the room already replete with great bones and charm.

• jjam
    16 years ago

Sounds like you've really thought this one through...and I think it will be absolutely fabulous in your room. Especially if the smaller circle will suit your needs, and it sounds as though it will, then you've got to go get it!!
    As for chairs, I'd get the table first; then try some chairs with it in person if at all possible. The beauty of your table is that any number of chair styles could work very well with it. That could be the place where your own personal style will make a statement. Good Luck.