Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

Done but not decorated - moved furniture into place

susanwrites
13 years ago

The electrician has finished. The painter has finished. And after six months we have finally moved all the furniture back into place, in the newly painted, refloored and safe from electrical fires rooms. No decorating yet but here's a sneak peek.

And it turns out that not being able to use the bookcases is perfect. They would have been much too much.

The old living room that was never used is now the new dining room. We tried had each of the pieces in all possible configurations. This is the best of the bunch. We haven't brought the chairs done from upstairs yet.

The trade-off here is that the French doors need to stay closed for this to work but I'm mostly okay with that. The doors work better if the cabinets are swapped but having the sideboard/bar on the other side makes it hard to use.

And this used to be the dining area but will be a great seating area. I'm not having any luck yet finding a coffee table or ottoman that I like or at a price I'm willing to pay yet. I'll keep looking. Not sure if that black cabinet will stay in the meantime or not but I'm going to try putting it on the same wall as the loveseat (but the other side.)

The rug for this space should be here tomorrow! I hope I picked a good one.

I am so glad to have this done and can't wait to decorate.

Comments (30)

• les917
    13 years ago

Getting to the finish line! You must be so happy!

The space is looking great, and it IS good that the bookcases didn�t work - see, things happen the way they are supposed to.

I just have one thought. I think the room looks unbalanced, with all the tall things on the left (sideboard, doors, cabinet). I would move the sideboard to the opposite side of the room, to balance, and put the lower piece on the left side.

And just notice, but have you considered putting the cabinet that is closer to the fireplace over on the short wall to the right of the couch in your new seating space?

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

les I thought of you as soon as I realized the bookcases not working were a good thing. :)

I agree on the unbalanced look though I am hoping that the large picture and lamps on the buffet (the long low piece) will help to balance the height. But it's not ideal, I know.

The buffet is really long can only go two places, where it is or to the right of the doors. We tried that but it looked shoved in the corner. (I know, I should have taken pictures of each way but the guy that was helping my husband move things had to leave.)If it is to the right of the doors it's also hard to open things.

And yes, I considered putting the cabinet that is on the right up in the new sitting area but the guy had to leave so I have to wait for someone to come help him move things. While that cabinet is a beautiful antique I sorta wish I hadn't bought it because I feel stuck with it and it doesn't really go many places. But for now, like I said, I'm stuck with it.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope this is just all the emotions coming up at the end of six long months of projects but I keep going into the new dining room and wanting to cry.

I knew I didn't want both tall pieces on the same side but when I put the one closest to the fireplace next to the buffet it pushed the buffet all the way to the end of the wall under the thermostat and that looked unbalanced. I had pictured it centered on the wall so as to be centered with the table. I know the best place for the smaller cabinet is probably up in the sitting area but that's not what I wanted up there either. Yet there's not much else to be done with it. It's a beautiful antique but I almost wish I had never bought it because we will never be able to get what we paid for out of it. (Second antique we bought. We've learned some things since then.)

I hate that I can't get in there and drag furniture all over the place to try things because of my bad shoulder and I have to wait for someone to come help my husband move things.

And I'm frustrated that I still haven't been able to find a coffee table or ottoman for the sitting area that I like (and am willing to pay for) either new or on craigslst.

After all these months of all these projects I wanted to put the furniture in the room and rejoice. We're not putting up a tree or decorating, all I wanted to do for Christmas was put the house back together but I can't even put things back in the cabinets until I know all the furniture is in the right place.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has post project depression?

• les917
    13 years ago

Oh, no, don�t feel that way. You are so close now. I can certainly understand that you are tired of the mess, tired of everything out of place.

But look how far you have come! The new shelves in the library, a new warm and usable dining space, great flooring, and a cozy sitting area for your guests and you to enjoy.

Now it is just the final details, the tweaking, and perhaps a little bit of being willing to re-think the original vision.

Sit down on your new couch and enjoy the view! Have a glass of wine, write an �ode to the chore of decor� to help you release the frustrations, and move forward.

I did have a thought about your coffee table. Check on places like Craigslist for a taller table that you can cut down to get your coffee table height.

You know what I would really love in there as your coffeetable? An unfinished simple wooden chest that you cover the sides and ends in old book bindings and covers and decoupage the top with pages of books, dust jackets, do an antique wash all over, then seal. Add a piece of glass on top if you like. Speaks to your passion about books and writing, yet has an old world feel, and a touch of whimsy. Even if you didn�t use real leather bindings and covers, but bought a slew of those Reader�s Digest books bound in faux leather.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Les. I needed that.

Right now I'm raising a glass to my husband who indulged me even though he was already tired of moving things around. Never underestimate the power of a husband who doesn't want to see his wife cry. I got a piece of soft and slippery material and he lifted one end of things and I put the material under it and we pulled and pushed and managed to swap the cabinets on either side of the French doors. I'm much happier with that now.

What I can't figure out is if the buffet should be centered on the wall it's on and then the table moved to center with it or if I should pull it all closer toward the sitting area which would mean the buffet would be off-center on the wall. If it's not centered it leaves almost 6 feet to the left of the buffet where I guess a small chair could go.

What a fun idea on the decoupaged table! I actually have a chest for my office that I planned to decoupage and that's a great idea for it. I could maybe do it in the sitting area but the space is very small. At the moment I am leaning more toward an ottoman there with small tables on the sides of seating but that is subject to change. :) I hadn't thought about cutting down a taller table though. Thanks!

Here's an ottoman from Pier One that I've been considering. I just don't like the $300 price tag. :)

{{!gwi}}

And thanks for the support. I really appreciate it.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

Congratulations - the rooms look great! No post-decorating depression allowed. Sit back and have that glass of wine :-)

Your chairs look very much like the Lane recliners I'm considering to replace my chair and a half. I've been eyeing them at Macy's for awhile. Are yours Lane and do you like them? I thought the one in the showroom was very comfortable but I'm 5'2 and DH is 6'1.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

It sounds like you are done and I think it looks great, but I had an idea that may help out. Have you considered painting the french doors the same as the rest of the woodwork in the room?

I think that would remove some weight from that side of the room.

I agree that buffet lamps will help fix your balance issue a lot.

I know a lot of people have trouble painting stained wood with white (sacriligous or something), but I have done it in almost my whole house and its been great.

I think it will give some definition to that wall and not be one long brown visual.

Love the room! And I love the furniture.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Very well done indeed!

And yes -- the bookcases would have been way too much for the space -- sooooo -- the "goof" was a gift! :)

And yes -- painting the French doors white would remove that visual sense of heaviness.

All-in-all -- Looking wonderful in both areas!

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    13 years ago

Your new dining room is beautiful! I'm amazed at how switching the two large pieces made such a difference. It all looks fantastic. The rug is wonderful too. I know you are ready for it to be done and you are "this" close. Hang in there. I would love to have a fireplace in a dining room.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone.

juddgirl2 - yep, those are the Chloe Lane recliners from Macy's. They are a perfect size for me, at 5'1". Hubby is 6' so while he fits in them fine if they were the only ones we had, he'd be okay, but he likes the larger ones in the library best. (and those are too big for me.) But very comfy.

loribee - thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

wendy - the topic of painting the woodwork on the French doors has popped up in my head a couple of times. I haven't decided how I feel about it quite yet. We have the same issue in the library where the trim should maybe be darker but then the doors stay open all the time and the color of the French doors now is perfect in my office which is on the other side. I think that's one of those things I need to ponder for a while.

teacats - funny how that "goof" was serendipitous, isn't it? I still sorta miss the idea of the bookcases, because I think books warm a room up, but if I put any bookcases there I think they need to be white.

tannatonk - thanks! We were amazed too at how switching the pieces made a difference. And just switching the rooms made such a huge difference too! I love the idea of the fireplace in the dining room too but believe it or not, we've lived here almost 4 years and we have never even turned that fireplace on! We just didn't use the room before. (We use the fireplace in the library constantly.) So it will be fun to have it to use when dining now.

Thanks all.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the buffet should be centered on the wall or not? The table/rug can move both ways but I just can't decide about the buffet placement.

• teacats
    13 years ago

As for the exact buffet placement on the wall -- try placing the chairs around the table. Then step back and take a couple of photos of the table and the buffet (stand in front of the French doors ......)

Will the placement of the table AND the buffet change for everyday movement or traffic through the area AND then change when you actually use the dining room??? Check and see -- sit in the chairs around the table FIRST -- see how much room is needed for the chair users. AND walk through the room several times and see which placement works best .....

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I'm not as experienced or talented as most of the folks who post here, but realized I just should have weighed in anyway. In your first pics, I thought "just swap out the two cabinets on the french door wall and it will look better". I was glad to see it did...so now I'll comment on the buffet. I think it looks perfect centered. If you move it to the right and leave a space on the left (for a chair or something) you are going to have 4 items on the walls, each one directly across from another. I don't think it will look as balanced as it does now. I think it looks fabulous now and when accessorized will be even more wonderful.

If it were my space, I might try one dining room chair (an arm chair if you have one) on the fireplace wall on the right side only. Or a fern on fern stand, etc.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

teacats - no, the idea is not for the table placement to move when it is in use unless we actually used the pull-out leaves, then we'd have to pull it closer to the sitting area. But as it is now the rug gives enough room for all the chairs, even with people sitting in them.

I'll take pictures of both ways once we get the chairs downstairs.

As for the sitting area, I have had this ottoman marked at Overstock for a while and wonder if it would be a good choice?

olychick - I'm glad you weighed in. Thank you! I think teacats is right that I need to bring all the chairs into the room and see what happens then. I have a small table that I was going to put to the right of the buffet, under the thermostat, with a big fern on it but now I'm not so sure. Maybe on the other side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ottoman possibility

• teacats
    13 years ago

I truly feel that there is enough furniture in the room right now -- especially when the chairs are added to the table area.

I would leave the sides of the fireplace bare -- and MAYBE place a dining chair on each side of the buffet.

Add a couple of tall buffet lamps to the top of the buffet for lighting options and wall sconces on each side of the artwork.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I would leave the buffet centered. I used to want to fill all empty spots, but I am getting better at it. It would be fine to have nothing next to the buffet on either side. Live with it awhile and see if large wall gaps become less so. But you have to finish accessorizing before you do that. Accessories keep the eye busy enough. Any more furniture may be too much.

As far as painting the door white or not, you can leave the other side as-is and just do one side. My upstairs doors are like that. You will just have the decision point about the middle edges to be white or wood. But if they are going to be mostly closed, as you say, it won't matter.

Pondering is good.

Also do you know about Magic Sliders? They are these awesome disks (felt for hardwood, plastic for carpets), that slip under each leg easily and make for very easy sliding of furniture. Its like your furniture is on wheels! I love them!

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jan and Wendy.

Hubby is finally available to bring down the chairs for me and I am rearranging books in the library. Hope to have some more pictures for you later.

• akshars_mom
    13 years ago

Susan You have done a great job with all the work in the house. I love your furniture.

I think the buffet looks best in the center.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I centered the buffet on the wall but need help to move the rug/table/chairs. I'm assuming the table should be centered with the buffet? If I do that, there's still room to walk around

another angle

Now in the sitting area, I'm 99% sure this is the way the seating is going to be arranged. I have to be careful not to block access to the kitchen, bathroom, hubby's office or the library. This is not to be the main gathering place for us every day (okay, except for the dog on the couch) but will get occasional use when we have company.

I have a few tables I could move in here, if they would work.

Then I have a couple of tables from some place else I could put here, if they would work.

This round one could get painted/stained/whatever. It was a freebie from CL.

And then I have two of these in the library. I could use one or both.

• teacats
    13 years ago

A vote for the two darker tables (like the one pictured in the last photo) And a couple of oil-rubbed-bronze lamps?

Not sure about the round Neoclassical plant stand in the dining room ..... but perhaps with a fat thick faux fern -- and a smaller faux green plant below? I wonder how it would look (only FOR NOW) under-the-stairs???

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Neoclassical? Is that what that is? Thanks, I never knew. It's antique piece I fell in love with it when I went to look at something else. :) It usually has a giant (real) Boston Fern on it. For some reason that stand makes me smile every time I see it.

I'll clean up both sets of tables and try them. I found an old corner table in the garage that I was debating trying but I think I've changed my mind.

So in the dining room, should the table and buffet be in alignment?

• teacats
    13 years ago

A vote for alignment -- and I do like the spot where the buffet is now located .....seems to look "right" for the size of the wall .... (sheesh .... hope that makes sense! LOL!)

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Makes perfect sense, Jan. I pulled the leafs out on the table and made sure the table was in the right place and then centered the buffet on the table. It's mostly centered on the wall:)

Well my rugs just came and the big one for under the chairs is hideous and is going back. Of the two runners they were to send, they sent one runner and one round so now I have to deal with all that getting sent back and looking for a new rug for the sitting area. I'm sick of looking at rugs. :)

• User
    13 years ago

Can't help with the furniture placement but I can help with the moving of furniture. Go to Lowes and look in the area that has the sticky pieces you place on the bottoms of furniture to keep it from scratching the floor. They have these large soft pads that have elastic on them...6 " across...you lift the legs of the piece you want to move and place one under each leg....we have used it on china cabs that weigh a huge amount....easy peasy to slide them anywhere you want. We move everything this way. Also the pads can be way bigger than the feet of the item you are moving and it doesn't matter, they stay in place. So save you and hubby's backs....hope this helps...and I love the way it is all turning out. c

• les917
    13 years ago

Things are looking good! I like the buffet centered on the wall.

I have another thought for you to ponder. Since you have leaves for the table, and have the room to leave (ha, ha) them in, i wonder if you would consider putting in a leaf and putting three chairs on either side of the table, none on the end.

I think it would open up the view of the fireplace wonderfully. SInce the end chairs arenâÂÂt host chairs, they can be put on the sides easily.

Will you be adding a chandelier for the dining room in the future?

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, trailrunner!

Les, that's an interesting thought but I don't think it would look very good for a couple of reasons. This table has leaves that slide out from under the exisitng table top and there's a wavy gap on each side where the leaves join. Plus the leaves are a much darker color (I'm guessing because they didn't see the light as often) so I'd only use it with a tablecloth.

I have no idea what I am going to do with the chairs yet. I don't have any chairs for the big table in the library at the moment (can't afford the Carrington Court ones right now) so either two of these chairs or the two non-matching end chairs with arms, will go in the library. But I'm not married to the idea of having chairs all around.

As for the chandelier, we just had a ton of sheetrock work done plus all the downstairs ceilings refloated and the entire house painted so it is not in the near future but a possibility down the road. I have my chandelier that I love but had to take down because it was too low. My thought was, besides the expense of the electrician and sheet rock and painter, I wanted to live with the room swap for a while and make sure we really liked it and make sure we had the table in the right place before we went to all that effort but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Of course considering the way hubby has walked by the room 10 times today and each time said something about how nice it is, I think I know his thoughts on it. :) But we always knew that room would work for a dining room. It's getting the sitting room figured out that has me the most bothered.
    Did you see the picture I posted of the dark tables I could use there?

And it didn't help that the rug for there arrived today and is going back on Monday. It was so wrong. I ordered another one, more of a tone than a pattern, that I hope will be better. (Wish I had gotten the Chloe recliners in a solid color...ah, hindsight, my good friend.)

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Les's idea about chairs on the sides of table only is brilliant to open the view to the fireplace. Would you consider trying one leaf with a table runner to cover some of the sins of the leaf?

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

olychick - I totally see the point of moving the chairs on the end to be able to see the fireplace and I have no problem with that. I can put a chair on each side of the buffet, which I was considering anyway, or in the library, or just put two of them upstairs until we need them and then just have two chairs on each side of the table.

I won't put the leaf up permanently because it just looks funny and makes the table huge. I would have to use both of them because otherwise you would see a seam on one side and not the other. The leaves pull out from each end. There's no need to have that much table in that space.

I'll pull the leaves out and take a picture of it later.

• les917
    13 years ago

Susan, I took another look at your new seating spot with the couch and chairs. I am not sure how you would have enough room for an ottoman there and space between the ottoman and the seating pieces for people to get around. I know that it is hard to tell sometimes when we are not seeing in three dimensions.

But with the ottoman you linked being 30x30, and then needing at least a foot on each side for walking space, you would need an open center space of 54 inches between the chairs. It just doesnâÂÂt feel like you have that much space. And then you would actually need even more space if the chairs are to be angled that way.

Have you taped together some boxes or something to mock-up that size object there to see if it would actually work?

I can certainly understand waiting to put in lighting for a dining space until you are sure that you are going to leave that. I assume that you have the pot lights on dimmers, and of course once you had more lamps in the room that will give you the warm ambience you want for a dining space.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Les, we came to the same conclusion on the ottoman/coffee table in the sitting area. No can do. And I'm okay with that. I found a smaller ottoman that might work but I'm not going to worry about anything in the center right now. It would just get in the way of the dog jumping up on her couch. :) I do need to decide if I am going to use those dark tables on either side of the loveseat for now. I don't have any extra lamps around here to try on the tables so I've been looking around online and haven't fallen in love with anything yet. I have one nice floor lamp that I could put in that corner.

As for the dining, yep, the can lights are on dimmers and I have buffet lamps. Oh, and I have another lamp that goes on top of the china cabinet next to the column.