Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kburdick29_gw

Help with Window Treatment

kburdick29
11 years ago

This is the layout of our master bedroom windows.
We are planning on getting light filtering cellular shades for each window from blinds.com. We would then like to put some blackout curtain panels for sleeping purposes (husband works night-shifts!)

My question is: How do I use curtain rods and panels with this window layout? Do I just put one panel on each rod and then sweep it to the side? Or do I have to get 2 panels for each small window? Do I make them floor length or just window length? Thanks for your input! Keep in mind we have many new house expenses, so the more affordable, the better:)

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

Because of the lack of adequate space on the outer sides of your windows, I think you could easily do just one panel per window, and sweep them to the side with tie backs. This is what I have done in my bedroom, which has the same type of configuration.

• kburdick29
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THanks nanny2a!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I agree with nanny2a.

You can do either a regular rod, or you can do a decorative wooden rod and put the flat end up against the wall and have a fancy finial on just the open end of the rod.

If you really want to save money, you can do a black out roller shade instead and then your fabric window treatment need not be so heavy.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 7:36

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I don't like the look of one panel on a window because too much of the rod is left exposed. I would do two panels on each window, mounted near the ceiling and going all the way to the floor, stopping one-half inch from the floor.

Depending on what the view outside is, I might use a blackout blind and stationary drapery panels.

• dawn_t
    11 years ago

I have a similiar small window that needs a room darkening treatment added, and I like the look of one panel swept to the side. I'm working on mine today - just bought a blackout panel on sale from Sears.

Here is my inspiration pic from Pinterest (of course)

I'll post a pic later, if it doesn't turn out to be a disaster :)

This post was edited by dawn_t on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 14:03

• camlan
    11 years ago

I would use one panel on each window and sweep it to the side.

The problem, for me, is that I'd want to sweep the panels to the outside edge of the windows and it doesn't look like you have very much room there. It might make the corners of the room look crowded.

Another option, just to throw it out there, would be black out roman shades, outside mounted.

• dawn_t
    11 years ago

Well, it didn't turn out as nice as I'd hoped, but perhaps with some re-arranging it will drape as nicely as the Pinterest curtain ...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

dawn t, yours is outside mount, not inside mount, and your fabric doesn't have a very soft hand to drape nicely...you might try to wash it to see if it will soften...

Here is a diagram of an asymmetric window treatment with the finials on one side each.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

If you need the room darkening function to be complete, you will need to use a return rod on each window with two panels on each window, to avoid light gaps.

Here was the problem in my trainer's bedroom:
    Blinds that did not quite fit as inner mount and a lot of light leakage. He propped a mirror over part of the window

Here is the problem at night, a streetlamp a few feet away from his window:

Here is the rather complex solution which, it turns out, was not quite good enough:

A blackout roller blind for light control; a sheer for daytime privacy, and a panel to deal with some of the light gap. The rod returns to the wall. Because of budget and space we went with one panel on each window.

Because there is still a gap he had take to *tacking the blind to the trim, *tacking or taping the curtains to the trim, and various other things which are damaging the blinds and panels. He is a guy, what can I say, and sometimes comes up with solutions that cause even more problems.

I convinced him to spend the money on two full blackout panels for each window. They are not installed yet. I am hoping that between a full blackout shade and two blackout panels on each window, we might finally get what he wants.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 20:44

• dawn_t
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback AnnieD, and apologies KBurdick for hijacking your thread a bit.

• sumac
    11 years ago

The thread did get hi jacked a bit, but what a great conversation addressing the OP topic.
    I love the friendliness in all the discussions on this site. Good advise too!

• dody40
    11 years ago

Another thing I noticed with the inspiration picture, the curtain had a regular rod pocket. I think that would make a big difference.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

We have a similar situation in our MB. Two windows plus a slider out to a little deck. My husband wants it completely dark at night, so I started with room darkening panels over existing duets. Light still came through the panels, so invested in black out duets, which are great, but there is that edge thing where a sliver of light comes in. So, we now have the black out duets ($$), plus the panels pulled across at night.

I skimped a little on the panels and only got one per window which are mounted above the window on black metal rods, & we pull them to the side, leaving them to hang down during the day. It looks fine, but at night, we could use a little more width on the panel, so it comes out to the side more. Got the panels at Overstock because I had SO much trouble finding any I liked & any that were wide enough. I've made room darkening panels before, and that's what I should have done, but think I was feeling lazy when it came to this.

With your narrow width on the side of the windows, get fabric that will drape nicely and not be bulky when pulled to the side. I do like the photos above where the panel is swagged to the side. Outside room darkening roman shades would work too if no light crept out from the sides...maybe try a google search & see what you can find, reasonably priced. We had the issue of the slider too, so that didn't work for us.

One thing I noticed when shopping for the room darkening panels is that a lot of them don't do the job...light still comes through. Let us know what you decide!!

• erinsean
    11 years ago

The difference I can see with pictures are the tie-backs are too high....swag the drape lower onh your window....at least 2/3 of the way from the top.. IMHO

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

kburdick29 do you plan to put the bed on that wall? If so the spacing of the windows may not bother you as much once a headboard is centered. Then you could just use regular blind or a pair of panels.

dawn_t I think that inspiration pic is a bit like an elaborate haircut at the hairdressers - it might look good when styled for an hour, but when you get home and wash it yourself, it's hopeless! If you want to leave the drape like that all the time you can spend the time to fuss with it to get it to drape properly but if that's a functional window I don't think it will be easy to have it looking good most of the time :(

• meowzer
    11 years ago

Another idea would be to hang two rods that meet in the center of the wall. Then use black-out curtains with rings for ease in whisking them to the center of the room during the day and out to the wall at night. There should be no light leaking with the curtains so far past the window edges. Does that make sense? I could do a diagram if you like.