Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do call those bed things?

Posted by trancegemini_wa (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 21:26

sorry if this is a stupid question but what do you call those "things" that go at the foot of the bed on top of the bedspread. someone posted the name a while ago and said they use them in hotels. It's not a blanket or throw or a full length cover, it's the decorative "thingy" that sits across the end of the bed and sometimes drapes down the end of the bed a bit. I've been trying to google them and I cant remember what they were called but they had a specific name I think

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do call those bed things?

quilt?

o

Duvet?

o

I don't know that they're called, but there was one on the bed in the room we had earlier this year at Residence Inn.

Here is a link that might be useful: bed shawl?

o
bed scarf

The Marriott calls them a bed scarf.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to Marriott

o

thanks ladies, it's not a quilt or duvet but a bed scarf or bed shawl would be close. For some reason I have it stuck in my head that the name was a long-ish non-english word.

I'll try googling bed scarf and bed shawl and see what comes up.

o
bed scarf

oh well done natal, it must be a bed scarf it's bringing up lots of results of what I was thinking of. thank you!

o

I think it is called a bed throw.

o

coverlet?

o

Non-English word for scarf. Maybe a bed babushka? LOL !

o

"babushka" is like a grandma or old lady in Russian?

o

I first saw one at the Marriott in Key Largo. It was so beautiful - very tropical. I asked about it and they called it a bed scarf. Now I have one in one of my guest rooms.

o

"thanks ladies, it's not a quilt or duvet but a bed scarf or bed shawl would be close. For some reason I have it stuck in my head that the name was a long-ish non-english word..."

A Suzani on the end of the bed has become quite popular of late...perhaps you'd seen some pix and that was the word you were trying to remember? Here's a link to some...the older antique ones from Asia are extremely pricey. I've seen some in the $10K range.

Here is a link that might be useful: suzani

o

jant I'm pretty sure that's the word i was trying to remember! but I realise now a "bed scarf" is probably the actual generic "thing" I was looking for.

I love them too now datura, they just seem like a nice decorative touch without being too bulky and in my climate I'd rarely need an extra blanket or cover at the end of the bed.

thanks so much everyone, it was driving me nuts trying to google them without a clue to what they were called. another decorating mystery solved!

o

I have also seen them called a "bed runner." Happy shopping!

o

"babushka" is like a grandma or old lady in Russian?

It is, but it also refers to a square scarf folded into a triangle, worn on the head and tied under the chin by little old Polish ladies.

o

babushka, you had me laughing my butt off!! Can you imagine going into a fine dept. store and asking for a babushka for the end of your bed !

o

I've heard them called a "scaldino".

o

"Can you imagine going into a fine dept. store and asking for a babushka for the end of your bed !"

lol, you'd get some weird reactions to that one. I'm getting so many results through google and they even make ones so your pets can lie on them instead of the bedding. I love the fact it "Features a protective moisture barrier – just in case"

geez, I'm very laid back when it comes to my pets but I draw the line at them lying on my bed peeing LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: bed scarfs for pets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here