Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bixa525_gw

Show me your favorite picture for over the sofa?

bixa525
14 years ago

I need ideas for a picture to place over my sofa. It is a neutral color with neutral walls so any color will work. I like any decor except country/folk art style. Can you show me your favorites pics?

Comments (56)

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

www.art.com is a great site as someone above said. The modern Vincent Van Gogh's might interest you and 2 or 3 Georgia O'Keeffe's would be striking. That site subdivides by categories so you can find lots of modern/contemporary prints and it gives dimensions (without framing).

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Kitty, I love your vintage print. Where did you get it, and do you know who did it/what it's called?

Red

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

This pic is from last Christmas (we've since added a throw on the couch):

Our wall hanging is pretty contemporary bixa525.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Here's the category for abstract art at art.com -- might be something there!

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- abstract category

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

Our LR ceiling is high and we have hung a very large oil over the sofa. This sort of continues a gallery concept from our entry.

{{!gwi}}

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I went to a warehouse yesterday, filled with art, lamps etc that decorators had used to stage model homes and were now selling the inventory so the warehouse could be rented to a new tenant. Some of these pieces are "large". I checked on art.com....too large to ship. Any of these would be nice above a sofa. Maybe my pics will give you ideas....

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

Hi Red,
    I love this one too! I bought it from a designer about 12 yrs ago & still enjoy it. It is by Brent Heighton & called Summer Shadows. Mine is canvas, not a print. Believe you can buy both, not sure. Have a place for it?

• susieq07
    14 years ago

Paintings above my sofa in great room:

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I have a rug over my sofa. Sometimes I swap it for a Navajo one.

• readerlearner
    14 years ago

mimi 2006, I really like your painting, very nice.

• dixiedo
    14 years ago

I am not good at committing to a specific picture, so I did architectural plaques instead:

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

One of the photos on this thread made me rethink how I place pictures above a sofa. I always treat only the sofa itself as the 'space' to fill and center or align my pictures (if there are more than 1 which would be center over the center of the sofa) between the outer edges of the sofa only, disregarding any tables or lamps on either side of the sofa.

However, I notice in susieq07's photo it appears the 2 paintings are spaced evenly between the 2 lamps on the end tables on both sides of the sofa with the outer edges of each painting therefore extending beyond the edges of the sofa. Is there a right or wrong way of filling this type of sofa wall space, how do most people calculate their spacing, or is it just a matter of what looks 'right' to each individual? (Yes, I am a Type A when it comes to measuring and will move a picture if it looks even 1/8" higher or lower than a matching print next to it.)

• RoseAbbey
    14 years ago

IMO, I dont think there is any right or wrong way, it depends on what or how many items you are going to hang above the sofa. If it is only a large picture, it should be centered above the sofa but if it is a bunch of pictures, I would include the whole space between the sofa and the end tables. One of my pet peeves is if the picture or wall decor is not the correct size for the area and if the art is hung too high.

• stu2900
    14 years ago

Here's mine.

• RoseAbbey
    14 years ago

picture over my sofa in my home office. Sorry about the dark color but it is a dreadfully dreary day here today.

{{!gwi}}

• Meghane
    14 years ago

This was over the sofa in my old house. Now my sofa floats in the living room so there isn't anything immediately behind it.

• homersmom
    14 years ago

Here's my sitting room. The print is of an Amish family near the water. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

well, I can't help you at all because it seems that all my houses I have lived have had my couch in the middle of the room. However, since I may be soon becoming the height hanging police, I will take a risk and recommend that whatever you decide to hang above you couch, hang it LOW. I know that some people's thought is to hang pictures at eye level when you are standing, but, consider this: are you in an art gallery in your home or a 'family room' or living room' ? So my thought is to hang low. It instantly warms up a room to see a picture low, which means you hang at a comfy viewing height when you are sitting, no standing. I know I will hear other opinions, but IMVHO I say hang it low. Kudos to low-hanging-poster-homersmom.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

oopsie, I think that the general rule is that the center of the art work should be about 50" off the floor (or eye level when standing). Considering that most sofas backs are at least 30" tall if you place a 36" tall painting just 6" above the sofa it should end up with its center at about 50". So it totally follows the "rule".
    I do like the height that homersmom hung the other art in the room. It makes the whole seating area feel very cozy and grounded.

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Here's mine. SuisieQ07, what a nice bright open space you have.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Susieq, I would have never thought to hang two pictures like that, but they are perfect for that area above your sofa and below the ledge. Just gorgeous.

And I love those pictures too. My favorite landscapes!

My "rule" is, if it looks good, then it's okay. :)

Sjt, I want your sofas!

• idie2live
    14 years ago

This picture is now hanging over my sofa. I searched for quite a while before I found it. For me, the only thing that could make it perfect, is if there was raindrops falling in the street. :)
    Loretta
    {{!gwi}}

• parma42
    14 years ago

I plucked this pic from our local MLS.

I'll call it a what not to do.

When I looked at the video tour, there wasn't a thing on the other side, either.

Unfortunately, in our house, we have so many blasted windows that there's no room for art over any sofa.

• RoseAbbey
    14 years ago

Idie2live, love your painting, may I ask where you got it?

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Thanks Roseabbey. I got it from Kirkland's a few month's ago. It's measures 45"x57". Reasonably priced too. HTH
    Loretta

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Here is mine - recently put up I still need to increase the spacing between the photos a bit plus the shadowing makes it look worse.
    The art is from an estate sale (first one I had been too)and the two side pictures are actually completely made of molded iron which is kinda cool...imo!

Roseabbey - I have the exact same twisted iron work you have...it is very beautiful above your photo.

Haley

• idie2live
    14 years ago

homersmom, I love your chairs.

• RoseAbbey
    14 years ago

Thanks Haley, I bought the iron topper at HomeSense, love that store, you must have one near you as well?

• homersmom
    14 years ago

Thank you kindly, idie2live!

• anrol
    14 years ago

Here is mine. I have read (and it usually works out) that you measure from the floor to the centre of the picture (or mirror) and it should be about 63 inches. In the diningroom or kitchen you can hang a wee bit lower as you don't want to be looking up at the artwork when you are seated. Over a sofa I think the space should take up 3/4 of the sofa area. I guess that theory blows this out of the water then! Ooops! Newbie posting pics on this forum!

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

door, I love the dramatic statement !! welcome !!

• nicole__
    14 years ago

door.....That's Cool! WOW effect plus!

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Lots of great ideas here!

I inherited this old Audubon print & placed it above the sofa. I put old war sepias around that and added the 2 square things. Plans are to add different artwork to replace the square thingies as I find it. My thinking was I needed something substantial over that big honking sofa.

{{!gwi}}

Smiles:)

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Roseabbey - Yes HomeSense it was - my all time fav store! Where in Canada are you located?...as I don't believe HomeSense is in the US.
    I live in Quebec but right on the border to Ottawa.

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

I'm an artist so I like going a bit bold.

Jodi-

• RoseAbbey
    14 years ago

Haley, yes I live in Gananoque, just east of Kingston, Ontario. HomeSense and Bombay are my fav stores.

• jenfromnc
    14 years ago

oo Door I love that!

I need a MASSIVE piece for above my couch and I have no idea where in the world to look for one. :( Even a massive piece would probably still require a grouping of things around it to fill the wall. I have a HUGE wall behind my couch with a vaulted ceiling. The wall next to it is even worse. Bah.

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Homersmom, I love your room -- very pretty!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I used a grouping:

• shine_2009
    14 years ago

So many nice art grouping!!

• homersmom
    14 years ago

Thanks, Hoosiergirl.

• olychic
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Bixa, don't know if you were asking everyone for opinions on the two pics or just door, but I like the first one (trees and hills).

• anrol
    14 years ago

I can't see the pictures, Bixa!

• crazyone
    14 years ago

I agree - my pet peeve too is mis-scaled art hung too high.

living rooms are meant for sitting and visiting so art should be lower as mentioned to give a warm embracing feeling.

homersmom, your room is devine, scale -color- amount of art and furniture.

door1- lovely as well!!

haley - LOVE your christmas tree and warm cottage ambiance

lorretta - love your art

jodi- as a daring artist, have you considered colored walls to warm your space?

thanks to all for sharing photos, it certainly shows many tastes and styles!

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Crazyone, there is still much to do in our living room (new carpet, lamps, end table, etc.) and I'm hoping to bring some color to the walls some day.

There is an "Inglenook" (i.e., step down conversation pit) and fireplace just behind where I am standing to take my picture. It has colored walls and built in seating that I absolutely love. I just need to find another color for the sofa area that will compliment it.

The wall opposite the sofa has a large, espresso color entertainment unit and a vaulted ceiling that needs some serious attention as well. So much to do, so little time. :-)

Jodi-

• leafy02
    14 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I had to say Teacats, I love the Ouija boards! What a neat thing to show off. I have a couple of them around here and never once thought of hanging them up!

• teacats
    14 years ago

Leafy02: Thanks! I just adore the history, colors and graphics of all of the "talking" or "spirit" boards! Lots of fun! Do consider hanging your boards too! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• lindafab
    13 years ago