Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlingtonvaremodel

ISO 9 foot square sisal rug with black border

ArlingtonVAremodel
10 years ago

Any suggestions? I've had no luck with the usual rug suspects. Lots of options, but no squares of this size. It could go closer to 10 on one of the sides, but 8 would be too short on the other. Thanks for your help!

Comments (12)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I bought mine from theperfectrug.com. They deliver by a freight forwarder, though, so be prepared to lug it into your house...no white glove delivery.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

My local carpet store (from which I've ordered a sisal rug) binds rugs in-house, so they'll cut it to your specific size - you might check into that, although to get 8' or 9', you may have to buy more than you need - I don't know how they price it.

• homersmom
    10 years ago

I've had rugs bound from our carpet guy, but you do have to pay for the entire width of the roll. You would actually be paying for a 12'x9', but have it bound in a 9'x9' or whatever width you choose up to 12' (many carpets are 12' wide - just using that width as an example). When our rug was made, I had the leftover chunk made into a rug for the back door entry.

• User
    10 years ago

I got a sisal custom made when I lived in the DC area, from a store in Bethesda I think. Let me see if I can remember the name of the store. There are stores that do this.

• User
    10 years ago

It was The Kellogg Collection. Not sure if they still offer them, but worth a shot.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Natural area rugs. You can get them custom made at a very reasonable price. Right now, they have a 100.000 off deal for purchases above 300.00.
    I clicked on a random pattern, and a 9x9 would be 491.00 minus the 100.00 discount.
    I highly recommend them. I bought a sea grass rug from them and am very happy with it. In fact, I'd consider sea or mountain grass.

Here is a link that might be useful: natural area rugs

• User
    10 years ago

I second what nosoccermom said. I bought my entry way rug from there and did custom dimensions.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I have purchased from Sisal Rugs Direct and been very happy with it. You can do custom sizes. If you join their mailing list, they have occasional sales. Would order from them again.

http://www.sisalrugs.com/

ETA: you can choose the width of border, etc. I have an extra wide black canvas border. Love it.

This post was edited by mamorella on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 11:13

• busybee3
    10 years ago

no help on where to order, but...
    we have a rug bordered with black banding in our kitchen-- one side of it gets alot of sun and has faded significantly- might want to check out/ask about the black border fabric's ability to hold up to uv rays if your area gets alot of sun... (i asked, was told it would fade some, decided to get it anyway because it was more of a shortterm rug...and it has faded!!)

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all - so helpful!

Mamorella, could you by any chance share a photo of the extra wide border? I am intrigued. I plan to layer a heriz Persian rug over it (too small to stand alone in the space) so don't know if an extra wide border would work, but I would love to see it.

Busybee, I appreciate the advice. This area definitely gets some sun (one of the dog's favorite lounging spots). But I guess one benefit of a square is that I can rotate the rug pretty easily, so hopefully I will get a decent amount of time out of it. Definitely something to think about, though.

Thanks again!

• theclose
    10 years ago

Sure! Here they are. It is only 2" wide. I think it would look great layered. In an old apt, I had a zebra hide over it. Loved it.

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mamorella - a belated thanks for taking the time to post the photos. They're very helpful - I really like the 2-inch border. Just waiting for painting in the dining room next week before I make a final decision on ordering the rug.