Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

Custom TV and TV Niche Doors - Lot of Photos

allison0704
16 years ago

Well, it's only been 27 months since we moved in but I finally have the tv niche and the (dreaded to some) 42" tv over the FP doors installed.

{{!gwi}}

Why so long, waiting for the "perfect" thing to come along. I thought the screen would come first...tried to find a wallpaper that went in the room and didn't fade into a solid color at a distance. I was going to have a screen made similar to this:

{{!gwi}}

Many months of looking led to nothing I loved. :( Then I had a eureka moment when I found this shutter:

{{!gwi}}

The thought of making sliding panels instead of folding (so DH would not knock things off the mantel) included wood and copper panels. Lots of copper in our home: solid cupola on the garage, gutters/downspouts, kitchen and laundry back splashes and range hood. Open concept home so copper over the great room FP echos the copper range hood in the kitchen.

Lucky for me, the carpenters who worked on my kitchen have gone out on their own and are doing custom work. They did a fantastic job making my vision come to life. I am very pleased. :D They'll be back in the morning to run the base across the wall under the niche shutter/door and install a wooden latch to keep the door closed...but I couldn't wait to share pictures.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (69)

• DYH
    16 years ago

Well worth the wait for that eureka moment! The doors look fantastic!

Congrats and Happy Holidays!
    Cameron

• igloochic
    16 years ago

The first picture scared me LOL I thought...oh dear that fireplace is gorgeous and they have ruined it with this ugly tv...then the second...that screen looked sloppy...then your pictures actually came up. Sheesh it's gorgeous and looks lovely in the room!!!! Very nice work!!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, the backside of the shutter is identical to the front. They were probably working shutters. It's made with individual pieces of tin between the lattice work. The shutters had to be custom to begin with, since it is not tin between two pieces of lattice "panels." Hope that makes sense!

The floors are not hand scraped. Just 3 1/4" #2 oak, stained Dark Walnut and finished with Minwax Tung Oil. It's easy to touch up if the dog scratches - just get out the tung oil and put a little bit on a paper towel. I've only gone around the house twice since we moved in.

Thank you, Southernheart.

Gwendolynne, that's so sweet. Thank you! Before I found the shutters, I found two gorgeous handcarved (but simple) panels. She had 12 of them for 15K. I asked if she was interested in selling two and she said no. I'm glad she did!

Thank you, Ree and Cameron.

LOL Igloochic. Thanks. When we moved in, I actually didn't find the tv to be as bad as I had thought it would be...but I did get tired of seeing it during the day since I never turn it on.

The good news is DH loves the screen so much he is happy to close it up at night. Now if I could just get him to fluff the pillow on his end of the sofa before retiring!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Allison, I'm looking for new flooring and have five dogs. So what you said about your floors very much interests me. You're saying they were not factory finished at all, but were finished with a colored Minwax stain from the beginning? Would you advise this for dog owners? Your floor does look nice.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, it is oak flooring, installed unfinished. Finished on site. We had it in our last home too...even added it in the kitchen when we bought the house and upstairs when we did an addition.

In my area, most people put down 2 1/4" oak, finished on site. I wanted wider boards but didn't want pine - too much grain for me. So I went with the #2 (not clear, a few distressed marks and knots - wish it had a more!) in 3 1/4". #1 grade cost more and is clearer. Heavier distressed cost even more than #1.

After installing and sanding, they applied the stain, then three coats of tung oil. I have one 55lb dog that runs circles and he hasn't hurt it. I love the older look it has and the fact that it isn't shiny. Even satin poly was more shine than I wanted.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Wow... what a bargain for the shutter. Don't you love it when you get a great item for an unbelievable price? Doesn't happen to me very often, but when I do, it's a thrill. :o)

I checked out the link to your fireplace. Mine is a bit different. I left my paperwork for lighting AND my fireplace at my house in CA when we flew back for our Oct. visit. Ooops!

I can't remember the name of the maker for our surround. I bought ours (cast stone) thru a local fireplace dealer. They installed our firplaces and will install our surround when the time comes. I like that it appears your company allows color choices. Mine just came in one color, and at this point I'm hoping it "goes" with the chosen wall color for great room. LOL!

Loved seeing additional photos. Your home is just gorgeous! Are the stuffed animals in the basket for the dogs (I think I see a mallard duck on top??). :O)

• polkadots
    16 years ago

Allison, this looks wonderful. Worth the wait for sure! I wish I had your vision!

Is that a paper towel holder on your island - it is so interesting. Where did you get that? Thanks.

• User
    16 years ago

Lovely! So worth all the looking and planning.

• texashottie
    16 years ago

Awesome, Alison!! Really super job! You have great creativity and an eye for making it all come together.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all!

TB, yes those are the dog's toys. :D I bought him a bunny at the grocery store yesterday. He didn't want to go walk around the yard afterwards for worrying about it inside! lol When DD2 brings her dogs over, they empty them all out...just like kids. :D

Polkadots, I purchased the paper towel holder from David T Smith. I'll link it below. If you're interested after seeing the price, sign up for emails and they'll let you know when they are adding new pieces. The container has a raised bottom inside to hold the towel roll in the center. I love the cracked glazing on my piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: David T Smith

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Allison, I love your creativity! And *how* you had the patience to wait until you found just the right thing, I don't know! I hope you're enjoying your gorgeous home!

• Shannon01
    16 years ago

Allison- I too thought the tv looked icky, also thought the panels were ok, then was impressed with the final result. Really neat!

We are in process of rebuilding our fireplace after putting in an energy efficient unit, with tv above. My concern also was to not have this black monster up there. The fireplace is already dark. We thought of doing something like yours but the idea never went far. I simply thought of sconces on sides of tv but dh and dd thougth that would be distracting.

So as we were installing the mantle yesterday we got talking. I showed him your results and he loved it! We are thinking of taking a picture and making 4 panels.

Here is where I need your help. Obviously your two panels slide over, then the single one does. I see the track that they are on. Where did they get the track system. I am sure we can rig something but thought I would see if you knew what they used. I am thinking I might have a hinge between my two panels so that when they slide over, the middle ones will flip over the side one, so that the picture on other side is not showing and therefore not distracting you from the tv. Yours is not distracting because it is the copper. I think a pic would be a little more distracting.

Since we have our wall literally tore up we are at a point where we can do anything. So we need to recess the tv, center speaker was already going to be recessed so this will just add to that project already planned.

I love this forum. It allows us to see so much and get inspired. It actually makes me feel like this project will actually get done.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

Once again - a stroke of genius. You are my number one top notch designer on this forum. Your whole house is lovely!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, hoosiergirl. I made a mistake with a rug purchase (not in any of the pictures above) but ended being able to use it in a lower level bedroom. I wasn't about to make a mistake with something screwed to the wall!

Shannon, Thanks! I decided to do three panels since more wood would show with four...plus the "rule" about odd numbers. I don't like to follow "rules" but odd usually looks better than even. ;)

They ordered the tracks online, but don't know from what company. Maybe try a search for furniter slides or sliders. They come in all lengths. He said these will hold up to 50lbs each.

Good luck with your project.

• pahance
    16 years ago

Allison, it looks fantastic! One thing I've always wondered about though with wall-mounted televisions... Where do you hide all the components (cable box, DVD player, etc.)? Several months ago, when we moved into this house, we mounted our television in the family room on a wall but all the components are sitting underneath on a small IKEA console until I could figure out how to hide them. I see rooms like yours all the time with the components out of plain site. How is that done anyway?

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Rosewind. We ran the wiring for the satellite between the niche and the tv opening during construction. Actually we ran two sets of wire between there and the dish...in case the first one is ever taken out by lightning.

We have a fancy remote control that uses an "eye" that's mounted on the bottom right corner inside where the tv is mounted. The eye talks to the devices/equipment so the door can stay closed at all times.

• pahance
    16 years ago

Thanks, Allison. I just showed My DH your setup and he asks if you could be more specific about how you are controlling the components (the satellite receiver, DVD and audio controls). What device (the "eye"?) ties all the components together to one remote? Did you have this installed professionally or is this a DIY project?

Thanks in advance!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Thanks about the flooring! Tung oil is so pungent, though. I was afraid of what's in it and was even wondering if oil was used on floors. Love that natural, old look! and with pets, the poly isn't so great, imo. I'll be finishing my own floors :)

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Rosewind, I think a company called Smarthome.com has those remote controllers. If I remember correctly, they're pretty pricey, though.

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

Alison: I've admired your kitchen many times on the kitchen forum, but first time I've seen the rest of your lovely home. Your solution for the TV is amazing--love the copper accents, love the shutter. Goes perfectly with the post and beam ceiling. Just curious, what does the outside of your house look like?

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rosewind, the remote we have is by rti. www.ritcorp.com

It's the T2+ Universal system touch screen remote controller. It's shaped like a regular remote but is a bit longer.

I think, from looking at the spec sheets, it has a RM-433 Receiver module - that's the "eye." But then there are two other parts - SPS-1 Video sync power sensor and the VPS-1 voltage power sensor - on the specs that have something to do with it too. All are RTI products, I believe. Really wasn't "my thing" to select and DH was the one that talked with the company. Nothing is priced separately in the bid, so no prices.

Squirrel, the tung oil smell doesn't bother me but I suppose doing the entire floor could be quite strong. The smell wasn't loud when I saw it at the end of the day. I agree, poly isn't great with pets. Shows too many scratches. Oh, fyi, the flooring company owner told me his brother is allergic to peanuts and when he did his first floor with tung oil he had to be rush to the ER.

Valinsv, thank you. I love our kitchen. I don't post pictures of the front of the house but I'll post a few of the garage and lower level/back of house. We live on 4.5 acres on a lake, so lots of woods. The house is a European cottage - suppose to look like a house that's been added to an old stone barn. Our stonemasons did a wonderful job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photographs

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

Allison, your house is absolutely stunning. You are one lucky gal - must be like living in heaven!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, yvette. It's only 12 minutes over the mountain to the grocery store but feels like a world away.

• pahance
    16 years ago

Thanks, Allison. I'll pass the info to DH. Looking at the first couple of photos again, I can now see the components in the niche. I missed that upon viewing them initially, as the picture is somewhat dark on my monitor.

Again, looks great! And many thanks for the information!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're welcome. Another fyi, the slides are mounted onto pieces of wood - not directly to the wall. Not sure you can tell that in the photo.

Also, I received an email they would be finishing up a table top they are making for me from old wood for our existing breakfast room table and bringing it out this week. I'll ask them where they ordered the slides when they come.

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

Wow, that is brilliant and lovely. Who would know what lurks behind that screen and door? Very well done.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Simply gorgeous!! You have a real talent for design! Your home is simply heavenly! :)

• teacats
    16 years ago

Bumping UP! LOL!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, bungalow house and teacats.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I forgot to comment on this last week so thanks for bumping it up teacats!

Love it Allison! Especially because it's so unique and creative! Once again, you have such a gorgeous home!

Now exactly when are you flying out to help me with mine? Whine, Whine, Whine! ;c)

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Lindy.

What's your weather like? We might be able to work something out. ;)

• blue_velvet_elvis
    16 years ago

I can't get the pictures to load. :~/

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They are there - I have not done anything to my Photobucket account.

Are you using Firefox or on a Mac, by chance? Sometimes, I have to either "force quit" or "restart" in order to see photos. Frustrating.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Allison, I just love the pictures of you room. You should have went into the designing business. I love the covering for the TV that goes beautifully in your room and looks perfect over the fireplace. I also like the Moderate White paint color that goes well with your woodwork and furniture. Congratulations on another creative beautifully designed room.

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Allison,

Your home is lovely. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jana

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Allison,

If its great weather you want, how about the Napa Valley? ... we have great wine and food, too. I'm in the middle of a kitchen, MBdm, whole house remodel and sure could use your fabulous decorating skills!

You've done a fabulous job designing and decorating your home. Thank you for sharing all the above information. I've sent Mission Stone an email to see if they offer narrower fireplace surrounds (MBdrm corner fireplace). I like the color of your fireplace, can you tell me the color? That ceramic paper towel holder is a great idea!

You truly have a beautiful home, hope mine looks half that good!
    Seriously, the sun is shining and the welcome mat is out ....

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Lynn. I grew up in a furniture store family and always thought I would end up working in one of the stores....but we found out you could lease the spaces and not have to go to work everyday. ;) It is and was a good job to have so I could stay home with the children.

Thank you, Jana.

LOL Napagirl. DD1 has lived in San Francisco for four years - just went to visit her - but I've never been to Napa. I don't drink wine but I do like to eat. :)

Looking at their website, I believe it was Rustic. The samples look different now.....it looks darker. But if you go to the Gallery, and scroll down to Custom Series - mine is like the Preston/Canterbury (Rustic). But I had some of the bottom section of the mantel cut off (you can compare the pictures and see what I had done).

I'll go pull my invoice and let you know if it was the Rustic or not.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Napagirl, I love the paper towel holder. It came from the below link:

Here is a link that might be useful: David T Smith

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

Allison,

You are brilliant! I have the same dilemma in my own new home, and our design is similar to yours (kitchen open to great room with same ceiling treatment). DH is insistent on the TV above the fireplace as much as I dislike it. This was #3 on his wish list (after walk out basement and 4 car garage) so it was hard to say no when my own wish was so long!(HA).

Teresa

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Allison,

I notice you have face grain wood on your beautiful island counter, soft pine at that. Do you have to be really careful with that? No cutting on the surface, etc? I'm getting butcherblock, one reason being for the durability, and porousness for food prep, I believe, that they described over a face grain surface. Oil and sand as needed :)

I also notice kitchen counters in the David Smith's links that are face grain.

How do you use your wood counters? Any sink problems? Food safe finish?

Any info you can share is appreciated.

Thanks.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Teresa. Would love to see photos of your home. I'll have to do a search later.

Squirrel, it is antique pine. I do not cut directly on the counter at all. When needed, I use a cutting boards either on the island or next to the range. Don't cut directly on the granite either.

We are good about wiping away water splatters after washing hands or dishes. I have never left a glass sitting on the counter overnight, so I don't know what that would do. The guys just asked me about that when they were here installing the tv cover.

The pine is finished with Good Stuff for Wood which is FDA approved for food prep surfaces. I order from the below link. Have only recoated twice in 27mths. I clean the island with a damp sponge and have started using Lysol wipes too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Stuff for Wood

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

It has a nice soft shine. I've seen that stuff, probably on Bally. I'm mixed about how much I want to work directly on my counter. I may experiment on a small island area before distressing the main counter :)

So, do you lay out damp lettuce and veggies on it directly? Worry about any messes or spills while you're working? I tend to clean up while I go, but am not a neat worker. And when I'm tired, well ....... who knows.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I like that it's not very shiny. If you use, do follow the directions and go with the grain, don't apply to thick and no swirly motions or you could be left with swirly areas. Ask DH how I know. They fade away but still.....

I lay out damp lettuce, etc and don't worry about spills while I'm preparing a dish. I clean as I go and that includes wiping up the counter now and then. I am a neat freak - why does that make me feel funny typing out?! lol - so I haven't worried too much.

DH tends to prep on either side of the range. He realizes his limits. :D

• summiebee
    16 years ago

Sigh...I want to move right on in! Do you want to adopt a 30 year old daughter and two Granddaughters? Ideally my husband too, but we'd leave him if we had to!
    ;) Kidding.
    Not aboutmoving in though. ;)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hmmm, you are giving me all new things to think about! Thought I'd written that off. It's so much easier to dream :)

Thanks much for the info! and have a great holiday season :)

• allison0704
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Summiebee - we are enjoying being empty nesters. ;)

You're welcome, Squirrel, and you too. We're looking forward to visiting with family tomorrow.

• cdking
    16 years ago

Hi Allison, did you remove your pictures by chance? I guess I'm coming in to this party late and I don't see anything, like they've been removed, or I'm having technical difficulties, one or the other.
    We're in the early stages of replacing our fireplace, took out the old wood burning, and we're going to replace with a direct vent, put a flat screen above and still not sure about the design. I'm looking for as many pictures as I can find for ideas, and saw how many people were raving about yours. I'd love to see them. Any chance I can get a direct link to them?
    Thanks.

• twg7590
    15 years ago

I would like to see too. Thanks.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry. No pictures left on Photobucket. DH is out of town with camera, but the panels are leaning on the DR wall at the moment anyway - TV went black (not even 3yo!) and we had to remove them to send TV to shop.

The guys who made the sliding panels for me came to remove them. I found out they used very large drawer glides. They used 28" glides on the double panel side and 14" glide on the single panel slide.

Hope this helps.

• kmm1
    15 years ago

Are you saying you do not have the pictures @ all for view. I registered just to be able to see what these looked like. I have also been researching for about a year and do not like anything out there and was contemplating something custom made that sounds like what you have. could you share one shot, please