Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ash6181

Design Challenge - Home Office

ash6181
10 years ago

Hi everyone:

I'll be changing jobs at the beginning of 2014. At my new job, I'll be working remotely from my home (exclusively). I have a spare bedroom that I'm working to convert to a home office, and its pretty much a blank canvas. Right now, the walls are painted white and there are medium stained oak hardwood floors. There is one window in the room.

The things I know I want in the room are a desk, a desk chair, a comfortable side chair (probably with an ottoman), and a dresser (I use the closet in the room for my clothes and need some extra space). I don't have a lot of files or anything to store, but a bookcase or other storage space might be nice. I'd also like to replace the current flush mount lighting fixture, but I probably need another flush mount fixture. I'll also need other lighting - a desk lamp and probably a lamp at the side chair. The window will also need new blinds/curtains and I'd like an area rug. I'm open to any other ideas. I'll be working on my laptop a lot and making frequent phone calls.

I'm starting from scratch as far as furniture and accessories. However, have picked out some posters for the wall that I plan to have framed. I've had my eyes on these for a while.

These are WPA inspired travel posters for some national parks. My husband and I enjoy traveling and have been to all of these parks, and I think they're a nice reminder of our trips. I'd like to use these as the jumping off point for the rest of the room, but I'm having a hard time getting started.

So what would you do? What pieces would you purchase to get started? There is no set budget. I'm glad for any help you can give me. Thanks!

Ashley

Comments (17)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First is function. I have found that at least an L if not a U is the most efficient office layout as it provides maximum working surface within a minimum amount of space. You can do this with a work table next to your desk, or get a desk with an arm. Also consider things like outlets to plug in equipment, things like bulletin or write and erase boards, how you want to store office supplies, files, etc. also consider the durability of the work surface...would wood work or glass topped desk or would formica be better? Think about flooring. Will you have wheels on your chair? Do you want the sound deadening of carpeting? Will you need a mat under your chair?

Consider layout....things like do you want your desk under the window? Do you mind if your back is to the door? Will light from the window cause glare on your work surface? Will you ever need to accommodate business visitors and need a comfortable seat across from the desk?

Once you get function and layout done, you can start considering the decorative elements like color and lighting. Your posters are great...pick your colors from them as a starting point. Maybe a soft blue or gray....

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 9:39

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

Do you want "homey" furniture or more "Tech/office" kind of furniture?

You might try Houzz for home offices, just to start narrowing down what you like or don't like.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

What will you be primarily doing while at work? (On the computer? On the phone?) What functions and equipment does your desk need to support? Multiple monitors? Art tablets? Writing or drawing space? Laptop? Room for in progress files or books? Printer? Will you have clients or co-workers in your home office space?

Besides the really cool posters, can you fill us in more on your style? Do you like traditional? Modern? I see a lot of lovely blues and greens in the posters and I think both are excellent colors for a work space.

Can you share a room layout? I would suggest placing your primary work space (I'm assuming the desk) facing the window if it's a pleasant enought view or artwork if it is not. Also, if you're working from home, I suspect you may at some points be asked to join in on video conferencing. It's important that you make certain you have enough lighting on your face to be visible, so make certain you have a good window or lamp in front of you.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I love the vintage travel posters!

I think that some of the norms for desk design have gone out the window. I work part time as a board member and I do some work from home. I find that most days I work in an upholstered chair with my feet up on the ottoman. Most of the things I read are electronic, and everything i write is electronic. I don't need a surface. I have a desk for an inbox to keep those things I might print out for some reason. I don't do many long phone calls so I just use my cell; as a result I don't even have a dedicated phone. I do have a printer and a scanner, but no fax anymore.

So, I would so an ergonomic study of exactly what tasks you will be performing and how much physical stuff you will handle. Then decide how you are most comfortable.

• ash6181
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh, thanks for your comments. I agree that in many situations a L or U is a great setup. However, most of the work that I do will be electronic, similar to what Mtnrdredux describes. I’ll be reading and writing documents on my laptop and making phone calls. I’ll have a printer and scanner; faxes will be web-based. I’ll be using my cell phone for calls.

I think I will do most of my work from the chair and ottoman I’m planning on putting in the space. I’d like to have that option, and also a desk and chair so I can switch between spaces when I get tired of being in one place. Having a large surface to work from is not critical to me. I also don’t need to store a lot of files or office supplies. I will not have visitors in my space.

As far as layout, I have a general idea. The items I know I want in the space are a desk (writing style desk would be fine, it doesn’t have to be huge) and a desk chair, a rug, a new flush mount lighting fixture, probably a desk lamp and a floor lamp, curtains, a side chair and an ottoman. I want to add a dresser for clothes storage and perhaps a bookcase or other storage piece for the few office items that I’ll have. The printer/scanner can go on the desk or perhaps the storage piece, depending on what I end up with.

Andee, I would be more interested in “homey” than “tech/office” furniture. I want it to be comfortable. I have looked at Houzz and Pinterest, but nothing has struck my fancy yet.

Pricklypearcactus, I’ll be splitting time between phone calls and the computer. Probably skewed slightly more towards the computer (laptop). I won’t have multiple monitors, tables, supplies, etc. I’ll be doing things like trying to find records, reviewing records, making calls, interviewing people over the phone, writing, and sometimes making very long conference calls. All I really need, at the very basic level, is somewhere to work on my laptop and room for a printer/scanner. No one will be coming to my space, so it only has to suit me.

As far as my tastes, I’m pretty open, and that’s what I’m hoping you all will help me with. My tastes are pretty eclectic I think and I like a variety of styles depending on the application. I would prefer neutral tones for the side chair so I could reuse it. I typically prefer simple styles instead of something ornate, but I also like a nice mixture in a space for interest. I typically don’t favor bright colors, at least in large doses, and favor more muted tones. Transitional might be the best description of my taste overall.

There are two doors into the room and one window, in addition to the closet door. I can probably put a layout together, but I’m really more interested in ideas for design (colors, fabrics, furniture, lighting) than layout help at this point.

Mtnrdredux, it sounds like you and I will be working in a similar style- mostly electronic. As I noted above, I think I’ll do most of my work from my chair with my feet propped up on the ottoman. I’ll probably switch to sitting at my desk occasionally for a change of pace.

So, does anybody have any design ideas? I’ve though about getting a chair and ottoman in a charcoal gray color. But I’m truly open to any ideas. I love the “design around” challenges on the Kitchens board where a scenario is given and people post ideas for what they would do with the space. I’d love to see some ideas like that. I’m just really not sure how to take the posters as a starting point and design a room around them. Thanks for the input so far!

• ash6181
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If it helps, here are a couple of desks I've considered. I like both of them, but I'm not married to either one if somebody has a better suggestion. They're obviously different as far as finishes and styles, but I do like a variety of things.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Well, I think you have a fun project. I would be indulgent; this is a space just for you, and if you like being in it it will make your more productive.

I would start with the hunt for four things (the chair and ottoman, which I would insist on test driving for this purpose), a floor lamp, and the desk chair. I had to really look for a desk chair that was both ergonomic and nice looking.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Those desks are nice if you don't need any file storage at all.

I think it would be helpful to start with a design inspiration. Given the desks you selected and your posters, maybe something like this can serve as inspiration. I think the blue walls would look great with your posters, and the desk is similar in style.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rough-hollow-parade-home-contemporary-home-office-austin-phvw-vp~202111)

[Contemporary Home Office[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-home-office-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_732~s_2103) by Austin Interior Designers & Decorators PPDS

Maybe something more feminine like the soft powder blue...here they use a dresser as a storage unit behind the desk.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/nest-home-office-eclectic-home-office-boise-phvw-vp~70149)

[Eclectic Home Office[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-home-office-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_732~s_2104) by Boise Interior Designers & Decorators Judith Balis Interiors

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/pella®-350-series-casement-window-traditional-home-office-cedar-rapids-phvw-vp~1427906)

[Traditional Home Office[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-home-office-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_732~s_2107) by Other Metro Windows Pella Windows and Doors

It would also be helpful to do a room layout so you can play with how and where and what size furniture might work for you. I've played with homestyler.com. It's free on line and seems relatively intuitive to use.

You can also think about window treatment...if you want a fabric one, the fabric would need to coordinate with your poster colors. Or you could use something like a woven wood blind which is more neutral.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

When I did my husbands home office we got a nice large desk that has all the storage for the computer because he does not use a lap top. A comfortable massage/heated office chair, bookcase, file cabinet and a comfy recliner for the corner. We centered the desk in the room facing the door and the bookcase behind the desk.

This is the desk we have.

https://www.houzz.com/products/tribeca-loft-black-double-pedestal-desk-by-kathy-ireland-prvw-vr~963322-

What I like about the desk is that it hides your legs and any stuff you may have behind the desk sitting by your chair etc. It is also decorative from the front so it looks nice facing the door. It also has a access whole in the top for cords etc. and space inside the desk for outlet plugs, usb ports etc. A nice large - heavy desk.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

If I were doing an office setup like you describe right now I'd start with an Ekorns Stressless chair and ottoman.
    They're more modern than my decor typically is, but they are ergonomic and the singularly most comfortable chairs I've ever sat in.
    Each style comes in 3 sizes so that you can buy the size that fits your body type best too.

If you chose one of those that would give you a direction to work from in terms of the rest of your room decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stressless_recliner

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

If I were doing an office setup like you describe right now I'd start with an Ekorns Stressless chair and ottoman.
    They're more modern than my decor typically is, but they are ergonomic and the singularly most comfortable chairs I've ever sat in.
    Each style comes in 3 sizes so that you can buy the size that fits your body type best too.

If you chose one of those that would give you a direction to work from in terms of the rest of your room decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stressless_recliner

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I've worked from home for more than ten years. I work between 8 and 12 hours a day and while I have a cordless phone and a day bed in the room with me, I'm really most efficient when I'm at my desk. I'm on the computer and phone talking to clients and colleagues - lots of conf calls ..... Way too many conf calls.

How many hours do you work and do you think there will be an adjustment to working from home? i found it was an adjustment for me and the more like an office i made it, the easier it was to concentrate.

How big is the room? Mine is small and serves several functions. If I had a choice, I would have less in the room rather than more.

So with that in mind, I would say get a little more desk space than you think you need. Pay attention to the depth and height of the desk, comfort of your desk chair and try to make it pretty from there. If a chair fits in the room, get one that's work-comfortable, not nap-comfortable.

Working from home is great, but many will tell you they work more hours then if they were at the office and it becomes more difficult to disengage.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree with 1929Spanish. Plus, working a full-time job from home with the majority of work on a computer (laptop or not) is simply not a good match to a chair and ottoman. You need a desk with monitor at the right height. If you use a laptop for 8+ hours/day without a separate monitor adjusted so your head is level, you will get neck strain. I spent the first 2 weeks of my new work-at-home job with a warm rice bag around my shoulders/neck until I got the monitor adjusted correctly. Even though my job is 90%+ electronic, I still find I need room around the computer for the non-electronic supplies and occasional hard copies my research and writing generates (or that my clients give me).

• sixtyohno
    10 years ago

regarding the WPA posters- Do you have them already? If not The Library of Congress sells them. So much of the WPA art was destroyed. We are lucky to have them. They are marvelous.
    http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/wpapos/

• fully2
    10 years ago

I too, share my 'dressing room' as a office. I bought used 2 drawer file cabinets ($60) each, used the too small headboard from our queen bed for a desk top. I use the cabinets to store all those electronic 'extras' that come with my devices and printer supplies. I don't work from home so the chairs are mostly decorative and the price was right. The long low dresser looks like a credenza, thus in keeping with the office look.
    My money went to unusual artwork and accessories.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I was reading the responses, and I think, if you can, you should borrow furniture from other parts of your house to see how you personally like to work.

I personally almost never work at a desk anymore, but it sounds like lots of people prefer them. So it is probably quite case specific to the person and the exact tasks they do. I am also working only one day a week, and often not a full day at a time, so YMMV in re neck strain issues etc.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I have worked from home since 1990. You will probably want to transition into this slowly. If you jump right in doing too much, you will find that you did not need everything you got, or did not get all you needed. First get the basic necessities, a place to sit, a computer and something to place it on, work a few days and decide about lighting, work a few more days and decide about other items such as storage and ergonomic-friendly items. Take it easy. Things have moved so fast over the years that I found my office redo's taking place more frequently than I expected. Work titles change, way of doing the same thing changes and your needs may be different this season from next. Technology is moving rapidly, and we have to move with it in our work places, so just be patient and the work environment will help you meet your needs and fulfill some of the aesthetics that we all like in order to make our workplace pleasant.