Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for decorating unusual built-ins

Posted by Debwa (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 20:40

I just moved to a new home that was built in the 80's. There's a great sunroom addition that has two units of floor-to-ceiling built-in shelving. The shelving is in the corners of the room, so each shelf is deep and triangular. Any ideas for making use of this space in an attractive and functional way? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for decorating unusual built-ins

Looks like the TV and components go there.

o

That was the case with the previous owners, but we'll be using the room for reading and container gardening.

o

Books & magazines on the narrow shelves?
During the holidays, a great spot for a Christmas Village display, the Dept 56 villages that need an outlet to light each building.
Are both units configured for media components?

o

You could always eliminate them...

or if you're into fish, they'd be great for an aquarium....

or you can add doors for enclosed storage...

o

I'd forget about the depth of the shelves; possibly even doing something to make the shelves shallower. Those shelves are too deep--you'll either lose stuff back there, or have a hard time retrieving it. Just because they are deep and triangularly shaped doesn't mean you have to use the whole depth. You can just use them like shelves for books or pretty objects or what-have-you.

Or, if your house is short on storage, put a row of books up front and store other stuff in back of them, stored in attractive, easy to pull out boxes or bins.

If you have an interesting collection, you could add lights and display the collection there.

Could you put grow lights in and use the shelves for part of your container garden?

o

Love the aquarium idea - or use the shelves for a display of your cool gardening paraphernalia. You could install grow lights for an herbal garden or a killer bonsai.

o

My first choice would be to take them out. It wouldn't be complicated at all, although you may need to patch/redo drywall. That isn't hard at all-even I have learned how to do it.

If that is not an option, I agree that you could repurpose the shelves for plants. You could do something like those living walls they are showing. If you google living wall art, there are lots of images.

o

I would store things behind other decorative items like books, baskets, a small lamp, and other pottery or decoration items. That would be the quickest fix and you could have storage and display.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here