Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Living room layout question

Got new living room furniture delivered. I'm not sure where I should put the end tables. Which of these options do you like better?

Option 1:
{{gwi:2142462}}

Option 2:
{{gwi:2142463}}

Better close up of option 2:

{{gwi:2142464}}

Obviously, this room needs a LOT. We need art, lamps, stuff on the tables, plant stands, etc. I'll be looking for all of that in the coming weeks but I am definitely open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas!

If anyone thinks of a better furniture arrangement, I am open to that too. However, I don't want anything blocking the view out of the pool and lake, nor can any couch/chair go with its back to where the camera is looking because that's the view through the foyer from the front door when you come in.

So, any suggestions on table placement, furniture arrangement and if you see any great accessories/art to add :)

Comments (40)

• bpath
    9 years ago

Not sure about the tables, but I think I'd move the occasional chair to the front, turned into the conversation group and the pool. Because it's kind of a perch, easy for someone passing by or just stopping in to set for a moment, and enjoy the view while they wait, or chat. And because it's probably very pretty from the back/side. It's kind of lost by the window, and the person in it can't see the view.

If you did this, I think I'd go with table arrangement #1.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I agree, try bringing the occasional chair to the front on the left hand side and put both of the tables by the sliding glass door. The round one on the left hand side and the square one on the right hand side.

See what you think.

Then. switch the two tables and see what you think.

Right now you have visual weight issues to deal with because the tables are different sizes as are the couches. Until you get more into the room that will remain an issue. For example, a large piece of artwork over the smaller sofa will affect the visual weight of the room. then add a floor lamp and bam, you will have changed it again.

This post was edited by blfenton on Sun, Dec 21, 14 at 0:17

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We're big on having places for guests to put drinks, and the single chair is kind of out of reach of the coffee table, so I'd put the round table between the chair and love seat so it can be used by both.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Rug is too small in size for the large scale furnishings you have selected.

Is this just a conversation area with no flatscreen in the room? It might be better to place the sofas in a corner arrangement if the length of the 2 sofas is not too long to accommodate.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm glad Beverly put that diagram up. I've been sitting on my hands to not suggest the same layout.

Having the sofa facing the door not only will not impede the view as people walk in, because they'll be standing (notice you've got your outdoor sofa facing the same way). but I think it would actually enhance rather than making the living room look like it's in the way, i.e.: the outside is part of the WHOLE picture. In addition, it's much more important to be able to enjoy a view for stretches of time, i.e.: while sitting on the sofa, having your morning coffee, whatever, than for the moment of walking into a house (but again, the view is NOT impeded).

The other benefit of the L setup is that it actually makes getting to the outdoors easier and w/o having to step over people's legs.

I'd go with Beverly's arrangement, and put a console table behind the sofa facing the doors to give it a finished look.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I will try some of these layouts today, particularly the "L" if you don't think it will block the view!

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Bev's arrangement looks perfect. You can see over the sofa when you walk in the room (I think), while having an awesome view while sitting on the sofa.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Can't hurt to try, right? Unless you're walking around on your knees, it won't block the view. But again, it will allow you to enjoy the view from the sofa. It will also give the room a more homey look rather than a waiting-room look.

Looking forward to seeing how it looks with the L arrangement.

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

I wasn't planning on saying anything, because of the request to not put one of the sofas with its back to the camera, but since others have done so, I'll add that I quite agree with Beverly's layout.

What struck me when I first looked at the pictures was that the layout and 90 degree lines of furniture presented a rigid formality that conflicted with the modern look of the glass doors. Also, having the pieces so close to the doors makes the scale feel off.

I also agree that you don't need a clear 100% view from the entry door. If anything, having the sofa block the lowest part of the view will encourage people to go into the living area, to get the complete picture. It's one of those cases where you don't want to reveal everything at the start.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I like the L arrangement also. If you can find a sofa table to put behind the sofa, that would look nice as you enter the room. Just add one or two items on top so as not to block the view.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Nothing is going to block the view unless you put five-foot tall trees on a console table or everyone entering that house is 4 feet tall or shorter. Lol.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I need to get help moving the furniture and then will do the l. I will post pics as soon as I get the furniture moved :)

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

The one on the left in the photo appears to be a love seat. It should be the one facing the windows.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

"Unless you're walking around on your knees, it won't block the view...Nothing is going to block the view unless you put five-foot tall trees on a console table or everyone entering that house is 4 feet tall or shorter."

Tibb, you always make laugh. Good thing I wasn't just taking a drink! And, as usual, I agree with you and the others who like the idea of the L set-up with a sofa table that will look pretty from the foyer.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, well, one never knows, does one. Got to cover all bases.

Lol.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, is this better. I like it! But, I think I will need to get a sofa table. And maybe a small slipper chair for the other side of the table next to the chair? Right?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture. It is hard to get pics in here because so much light comes in.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think it's much better, except that I'd put the sofa on the other wall so that there is a bee-line from the front door to the patio sliders. And if you put a console table behind the loveseat, it will really look finished and great. Maybe a rug in that area to define it as well?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moving the sofa to the other wall is going to have to wait until my husband gets here on Christmas Eve. My dad helped me move this and the couch is way too heavy for us to move, LOL.

But I will switch them out. That will make it easier to put a lamp on the table too, since right now the plug is not positioned right for a lamp. If the sofa is on the other wall, I can hide the cord under the couch.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not going to be able to match the sofa table to the existing tables because there is not one. Would you try to get something close in the same antiqued-brassy style? Or get something totally different so it doesn't look like I tried and failed to match ?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

There's never a rush to move furniture! Question is, how do YOU feel about the "new" arrangement? Also keep in mind that the room looks fairly unfinished as you only have furniture in there, nothing on the walls, no decor on the tables, and that will make a HUGE difference and give it a very homey, comfortable, finished look, very welcoming, I think.

Since your sofas are a set and your tables are a set, you're room is definitely not moving in the eclectic direction, so I' try to find a console table that is not matching but in the same "genre", so to speak.

This one (Lavonne) from Pier One I think would look awesome with your floor and sofa upholstery

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The console table doesn't have to match your other 3 tables, but it should coordinate with everything. Maybe consider something in wood this time. The table shouldn't be longer than your loveseat and should be lower than the top curl of the sofa.

Those of us that live alone use 'furniture sliders' so we don't always have to depend on others to help us move furniture. This is also a good product to have around when you do have help. It will save your back.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, I like this arrangement a lot better! It definitely needs art and accessories. It is really overwhelming to try to furnish basically this whole house all at once. For my PA house, I'd been going to estate sales and collecting stuff for years and years. That was a lot easier than this!

I love the legs on that table you posted, but not sure about the top. I'm going to Pier 1 soon to get some pillows and stuff, I'll see if they have one on display to look at in person.

Thanks beverly27. I will measure the sofa dimensions and look into tables that are appropriately heighted. The furniture sliders do look like a useful thing to have!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That's funny, because I thought you'd like the mosaic tile on the table because of your floor and the pool etc.

Only mentioned accessories and wall "art" to point out that once they're in there, it'll make a very big difference. I think it's actually more fun to add things slowly, as you find them, than to feel you have to do it all at once. Also think the Nicolese table would go nicely in that room.

Here's the Baldwin

This one's also nice

Here is a link that might be useful: Baldwin Console Table

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I have those things that Beverly posted. Since you don't have a rug to speak of (that one is easy to move), you can also use folded up towels to put under the feet, then just slide the furniture into place.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

If your second home is in FLA. make sure you take in all the resale shops. They are overflowing with all the large scale, traditional furnishings as people sell their places and switch to a more contemporary appearance in furnishings for their homes. My local Craigslist has lots of sofa and end tables for sale.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, I like the Baldwin. I will have to look at what our local Pier 1 has. I didn't install either floors or pool tiles here. I like them, but would not necessarily have done exactly what they did if I had started from scratch. They are brand new though and very, very nicely done so I'm working with them.

beverly27, yes this is in Florida. I will check out the resale stores and craigslist. I've been looking on craigslist to replace my coffee tables in my family room and haven't seen anything good yet, but I will persist :)

This post was edited by beaglesdoitbetter on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 17:27

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Beagles you are doing such a nice job.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks emmarene.

We got the furniture moved and I think it looks very nice. This is the way it will stay now, I think. I just need to get a sofa table, some lamps and accessories.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second picture.

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

That looks so much better. Congratulations.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Very nice! I'm glad you chose to alter your initial vision. View is intact and enjoyed!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's wonderful! I hope you love it.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I love it. We sat there on Christmas Eve and had drinks and yesterday I had my morning tea on the love seat looking out. It is much nicer to be able to sit and look out.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'm so glad for you. Yes, much better than the "The doctor will see you now" setup!

Lol.

• glad2b
    9 years ago

It looks so inviting now - great job! :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Beagles it looks wonderful! Happy New Year to you.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. It did look kind of waiting-roomy before.

Still on the hunt for a sofa table and possible slipper chair and of course art and plants and floor lamps!

Happy new year to you too holly-kay!

• yayagal
    9 years ago

It's so yummy, I want a cup of tea there lol.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

That looks wonderful, beagles! A new look for the new year-may the year be as marvelous as your new design! :)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!