Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oopsie913

OK, educate me. What do all the abbreviations mean?

oopsie913
14 years ago

I get the DH, DS, DD, and IMO, but there are more. First where have all these abbreviations originated? Is it exclusive to GW?? And what is OP? It is a hoot for me to have been trying to figure some of these out in the past few months. And I still giggle when I refer to my husband as DH....although I can imagine what names he grumbles under his breath at me...lol

So can you give me a site where all these abbreviations are spelled out for me? Thanks, and GLA!

Comments (25)

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

lol...I think OP is 'original poster'. I usually type the abbreviation in my google search bar, if I don't know what it means. Usually I get an idea of what it could mean & go with that, if it makes sense. :)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"Is it exclusive to GW??"

Some are. Some aren't. Acronyms mean different things on different boards. Here HD will mean Home Depot. On other boards I visit it always means Harley-Davidson. Yet still, on other boards HD means hard drive. In the Navy it means 'head' as in the restroom. GW means Goodwill on some of the trash-to-treasure thrift boards I visit.

You just gotta get a feel for it I guess. Often someone will use the full word in their post first and subsequently use an acronym to save typing it over and over and over. I try to do it that way so there is no confusion. On the garden side of this board plant names are often acronymed if the name is long, hard to spell and frequently comes up in the conversations.

"And what is OP?"

Original poster ie; the person who started the thread with a question or comment.

PO means 'previous owner'. One time someone asked why and how the Post Office planted hostas all the way up to their front door for them. LOL.

PP means previous poster BTW FYI. :)

Google these search terms for lists of definitions: *acronym* *abbreviation* *initialism*

Remember some acronyms have more than one meaning so if you look something up and it turns out to be a "bad word" or doesn't seen to make sense with the rest of the message a poster was trying to convey, keep searching for another definition.

Type you acronym into the box and find out what it may mean:

http://www.acronymattic.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Type Letters in Search Box

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

oh & meant to ask you - GLA - good luck all?

• teacats
    14 years ago

Let's see:

HD - Home Depot
    RH - Restoration Hardware
    ((also: RHSS -- Restoration Hardware's paint Color Silver Sage -- kinda popular here awhile back -- got it in my master bedroom))
    PB - Pottery Barn
    SW - Sherwin Williams
    BM - Benjamin Moore
    RL - Ralph Lauren
    LA - Laura Ashley

can't think of more .... although I'm sure there are some .... LOL! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

How about -
    ORB
    MWO
    UCL
    O*k (unmentionables)
    TKO
    SS

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

ORB oil-rubbed bronze
    SS stainless steel
    CL Craigslist - but UCL?

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

UCL - under cabinet lights
    CL - craigslist

• scarlett2001
    14 years ago

My fave: roflmao
    "Rolling on floor,laughing my a** off".

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    14 years ago

this is great!! I am sure though that the DH, DD and DS came first from this site. I have never heard it used before. Maybe it was used first in more formal countries? It took me forever to realize it meant Dear Husband....like I inferred before, it does not 'fit' in 'my house. That's why i guess that it took me so long to figure out what those stood for. LMBO! JK!

• User
    14 years ago

In the kitchen forum there is a thread that says, "if you're new to the Kitchen forum read this first" and it has all the abbreviations in it. Very helpful!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

" It took me forever to realize it meant Dear Husband....like I inferred before, it does not 'fit' in 'my house. "

The 'D' can be for "dear" or "damn".

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

And I still giggle when I refer to my husband as DH....
    Wait till you slip up and call him that IRL (In Real Life) ;)
    Here is a list of internet acronyms sites. Some times HD can be short for Home Dec forum here, so you have to see if H Dep or H Dec fits better in the context.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

And my DH doesn't believe it means Dear Husband!! LOL he teases me about it. In the kitchen forum DW is dishwasher but sometimes a husband is the poster and is referring to his dear wife, a bit confusing at first.
    and yeah, somethings can be embarrassing IRL, IYKWIM

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

" It took me forever to realize it meant Dear Husband....like I inferred before, it does not 'fit' in 'my house. "

The 'D' can be for "dear" or "damn".

Or:
    daffy
    dainty
    damaged
    dandy
    dangerous
    dapper
    daredevil
    daring
    dark
    dashing
    dated
    daunting
    dazzling
    dead
    deadpan
    deaf
    dealer
    debonair
    decisive
    decorative
    decorous
    deep
    defective
    delicate
    delicious
    delightful
    demonic
    demure
    dense
    dependable
    dependent
    depraved
    depressed
    deprived
    deranged
    derelict
    deserted
    detailed
    determined
    detrimental
    devilish
    devious
    didactic
    different
    diligent
    direful
    dirty
    disabled
    disagreeable
    discreet
    discriminating
    disillusioned
    dispensable
    distant
    distinguished
    distracted
    divergent
    divine
    dizzy
    docile
    domestic
    domineering
    doomed
    dopey
    dorky
    dormant
    drab
    draconian
    dramatic
    dreadful
    dreamy
    dreary
    drifting
    droopy
    drunk
    dry
    dubious
    dull
    duly
    dumb
    dusty
    dynamic
    dynamite
    dysfunctional

I think that about covers it ;-)

• idie2live
    14 years ago

YMMV?

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I see DH, DD, SIL etc. all over the internet.

Here is a link that might be useful: All Acronyms

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Good site ideefixe!
    MCM = Mid Century Modern
    WT = Window Treatments

• meg711
    14 years ago

I remember a while back someone had posted a question and signed it TIA. So, in my response, I called her Tia--not realizing that TIA meant "thanks in advance." Duh!

Also, especially on the kitchen forum, SS can mean soap stone.

btw, in the last email I ever received from my FID (former interior designer), she told me to FOAD. For those of you who don't know that lovely acronym, here's a link to urban dictionary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban dictionary

• peoniesandposies
    14 years ago

What is TS when referred to as a store?

• lynn_r_ct
    14 years ago

TKO - I assumed it meant "Totally Kitchen Obsessed" for those posters consumed with their decisions for their kitchen remodels. In other words - they really need to get a life.

• susieq07
    14 years ago

DH=dear husband
    DW=dear wife
    DD=dear daughter
    DS= dear son
    SIL= sister in-law etc. etc.

• mjsee
    14 years ago

And don't forget the PO--the Previous Owner. Used when referring to something terrible that was done to one's house before one took possession.

As in...

The PO painted latex over high gloss oil...without sanding and priming in between.

I've owned a grand total of two houses in 26 years...and I had to deal with that in BOTH. People, please. Prep properly. Do NOT become the dreaded PO.

• lynn_r_ct
    14 years ago

Greenthumbfish, I love your response - I so need options!

• sidewindette
    14 years ago

I see hubby written all the time. My ds (darling son) ha ha gets a real kick from this. He mocks my writings all the time! He like ds too, since he refers to himself now all the time as ds. He's only 17, he'll grow out of it!! ha ha

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz