Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
octoberdana

Help with new living room window coverings

octoberdana
10 years ago

My living room has had the same chocolate curtains on them for 7 years and I'm sick of looking at them. The walls are tan color Valspar Oregon Coast. The floors are a bamboo wood stained a cherry. My fireplace is brown granite, but the other furniture in the room is black or black-brown. Trim is white. Living room sits right off of kitchen which is painted the same oregon coast except for one red wall, cherry cabinets, and lighter tan flooring.

I am thinking of ordering wood blinds for the living room because I need a better way to control light. The TV is wall mounted and right now the curtains stay closed all the time because there is no easy way to open and close them. Thought about doing cellulars but think they aren't really what I'm looking for since they aren't really good for light control.

I have selected 2.5" wood blinds from JCP that I would like to purchase (I have gift cards). I'm trying to decide between bisque, dark mahogany, and rich walnut.

Bisque would most likely match the trim, but afraid it might be too bedroomy or kitcheny. Dark mahogany is really dark but would probably match the black furniture best. Rich walnut is what I'm leaning towards but afraid of introducing a new wood tone into the living room.

http://www.jcpenney.com/for-the-home/sale/view-all/jcp-home%25e2%2584%25a2-2%25c2%25bd-wood-blind/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003310216&catId=cat1003040005&deptId=dept20022800026&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null

I'm really open to suggestions. I do eventually plan on softening the look with sheers on the sides.

Comments (9)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

If you have a fair amount of painted trim, the bisque would look good, assuming the tones are close to the trim color. If there isn't much trim and the blinds will not relate to anything else in the room, you'll probably want a wood tone.
    Keep in mind that a dark color will show every bit of dust. If cup doesn't have a wood color that works, there are a lot of other sources, and many will send you color samples.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think I would go light, not only for the dust, but also to have some contrast from the tan/brown walls and furniture.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

If my monitor is correct the wall color is fairly light and has pinkish tones in it. It would still help in seeing a photo of your room and it's furnishings.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I would also vote for off-white instead of a wood tone, it will lighten the room and look fresh.

• octoberdana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture of living room. I hate to use this one but it best shows my normal furnishings. This picture is dark, so the wall color is lighter in this, it's more of a soft tan than the dark tan it looks in the picture. I know it's hard to see the floor but it is a cherry colored bamboo wood.

TV is now wall hung with the black media cabinet underneath it. Black shelves shown above TV are gone. Same floors and other furnishings are the same. We also do have a red loveseat in the room not shown in the picture. There is also another window on the other side of the TV, so there are 4 windows total. 2 that frame the TV and the double one on the back wall.

This post was edited by octoberdana on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 9:14

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thanks for the picture octoberdana. That really helps.

Personally I'd go with the dark wood to best match the floor. I think if you go with a color that matches the trim I'd keep the brown panels or at least what looks like the red scarves.

• octoberdana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay thanks... The scarves are red, gold, and purple to add some color- sooo much brown.

I was thinking of replacing the brown panels with some simple gold ones on the side only to add in some color. Not sure about the scarves... may keep them, may not.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Gold panels would be pretty too.

• octoberdana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Decided to do 2" instead of 2.5 due to the small size of the windows (35") so I can either order rustic brown or ebony. Thinking ebony would match the black furniture, rustic brown would be dark but browner than the floor....