Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Share your Christmas decorating

Oakley
12 years ago

Okay guys, I'm not seeing near enough Christmas decor on any forums outside of the Christmas tree topic. Humor me! I'd love to see more Mantels (remember the contest last year?) and also little vignettes you have done. I love looking at people's Christmas decor so I can get ideas.

Even if you think your decor is goofy, go ahead and show us, because I have an area that is SO bad I may take it down! lol

I'll start with a picture I posted a week or two ago.

I've since moved the table under the wall thanks to someone's suggestion.

Comments (111)

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So many fabulous pictures! I keep checking back as I just love Christmas decorations.

jockewing-I'm loving the bright ornaments...particularly the pink & turq. ones:)
    allison~ Sigh....again,lol. Your home is just breathtaking!! I love the deer as well.

A few pics from our living room. We have no tree (yet!) here this year, but at least we'll have the real one at my parents house. I've included pic of last year's tree...maybe I'll break down and put it up over next couple of days so we can enjoy before leave for the holidays.

Missing a tree!(last years...)

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

Great stuff, love the poochies...

my stockings, that's it so far...

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Very nice stockings joann and I love the holders.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

Oh thanks nancy, my honey just made them, he cut them out of wood.
    they clip over the mantle.

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

I just want to thank everyone for sharing. I am hooked on this thread!! You have all given me so many wonderful ideas.

Allison, my heart skips a beat anytime you share pictures of your lovely home but your Christmas pictures are magical.

Deck the Halls........

• Wallpaper
    12 years ago

This blog features photos of walls decorated with Snap self stick wall decals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snap for Christmas

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Oh, what a wonderful thread! Great idea, Oakley! I enjoyed every single beautiful picture here.

Please folks, feel free to add your holiday photos to the new all-Holiday thread in the Gallery. That way, we should also be able to see them next year as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Decorating Eye Candy

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oceanna, glad to see you again! I'll take a look at the pics in a bit.

Natal, I'm not surprised you smile when two posters have differing opinions. Not even the Season stops you, does it? ;)

Here is my desk top that I sloppily slapped together. lol. The picture you see on the wall is from a Christmas card I sent a few years ago. That whole wall is a picture wall filled with a lot of scenery, including some snow pictures. Too pretty to take it down.

{{gwi:1455973}}

• natal
    12 years ago

Was it a difference of opinion or your unwillingness to listen to her explanation? She was very thorough. I would have thought you would have appreciated the effort she made.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Thanks, mtnrdredux. I know I said I didn't decorate with red and I haven't in 10+ years.. but decided to use those this year. Will make Mom happy!

Thanks, Boop and Caminnc!

Lisa_Mocha, thank you. Everything is so pretty at your house - do you have pets!?

Thank you, Sidney! That's so sweet!

(I started typing this comment 2.5 hours ago. :-/ )

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

Thanks allison. We did have a dog and everyone always laughed at all the light colors (white in the family room) and our resident Chocolate Lab. She was just so sweet so I allowed her on furniture and whatever else she wanted. (We lost her this summer after 14yrs...miss her dearly and will have another Lab someday...

Mocha just waking from a little snooze...

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, to put it bluntly it was your constantly butting in where you don't belong with your sarcastic one liners. You said on the board a couple of years ago that you enjoy when posters fight. Need I say more? No, I won't. Leave me alone, PLEASE.

• natal
    12 years ago

The sky is blue.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Lisa, such a sweet picture of Mocha. I know she is missed. We have a black lab and he has the greatest personality.

• lefleur1
    12 years ago

What constitutes *butting in where you don't belong*? Yikes, maybe I just did it!?

• natal
    12 years ago

Good question Lefleur.

Oakley, if something can be condensed into a sentence or a few words that's my choice. I've never been verbose. Sorry that doesn't meet your forum posting criteria. I certainly don't enjoy the confrontational posts you toss my way. Last week it was my gifting habits, this week it's a simple smile at the irony of someone else being in a similar position because they have a different way of doing something. I don't know if it's paranoia on your part or the need for controversy, but it's all so unnecessary.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lefleur, you're fine. Natal knows exactly what I'm talking about. She enjoys making fun of others, mostly me.

And Natal, Karen and I have talked so I'm sure that upsets you, darnit! FTR, I never said anything mean about you not enjoying giving to others at Christmas, I just asked you why, and I also stated if it was too personal of a question to forgive/ignore it. I was being kind to you but well, you're Natal. Thanks a lot for ruining another thread I did!

Don't bother replying, I won't be back to this thread.

The sky is gray. :)

• natal
    12 years ago

You do have issues. Merry Christmas girl!

• Rajrang123
    12 years ago

If you are going to decorate your Christmas corner, the traditional way, this tree of life wall hanging can be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Of Life Wall Hanging

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

Here are a few photos I took this week.

Our tree is full of all kinds of unique ornaments. They are my most prized possession.

The Bar setup for the party

Guest Bath

I just got that cabinet from a friend, not 100% sure I love it in there.

Santa!

I re-arranged this a little since the photo.

The Mantle

I have one other cute vignette that I didn't get a photo of, will work on it if I have time.

Beth P.

• mjjones453
    12 years ago

It's a Country Christmas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chrismas 2011

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Lovely tree, bethpin!

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

So many pretty homes. I love the decortating individuality. The wheels are spinning in my head for next year already.

TFS

• anrol
    12 years ago

It sounds like your DH is an angel! What a wondeful guy. What a great story! I love to see all of the beautiful Christmas decor. Great thread.

• cozyfarmhouse
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone, I've been lurking on GW since we put our house on the market in May (it sold in July, yay!) and finally decided to register. I wasn't going to do any Christmas decorating this year. We are waiting on our new house to close and this temp. rental just doesn't feel like home at all so it is hard to get in the spirit. But, I broke down and did a little anyway. Our "tree" is not exactly a typical Christmas tree.

The ornaments are all vintage and all in shades of gold

[IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/HeidisCloset/goldornament-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/HeidisCloset/tree-2.jpg[/IMG]

Simple arrangement for the table

[IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/HeidisCloset/tablearrangement-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

mjjones, clicked on your link and nothing to view.

• cozyfarmhouse
    12 years ago

Oops, trying again, sorry had the wrong code copied,
    {{gwi:1900620}}

{{gwi:1900621}}

{{gwi:1900622}}

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Cozyfarmhouse, first welcome and glad you unlurked! Especially to show that really creative holiday display. I love it. Although the more is more decorating theme is always fun, your tree especially is different enough and good humored enough to really make me smile. Great job.

I hope you keep sharing as you transition to your new house. If your holiday decor is any indication, I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

Ann

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I like your tree. Reminds me of the wire trees my grandmother made back in the 80s. What is yours made with?

I added glass icicles to my tree - borrowed from Mom. Made a big difference. I knew it needed long ornaments but couldn't find any in the stores this year.

• cozyfarmhouse
    12 years ago

Thank you Ann! I have lots of ideas for the new house, hopefully I'll have more to share very soon.

Allison, the tree is an outdoor tree from Frontgate that is intended to be placed in an urn as entry decor. It's wrapped wire, pretty flexible and reminds me of a feather tree without the feathers.

I was looking for glass icicles when I happened across the vintage German coiled gold wire icicles I ended up with. I still love the glass, but figured with three cats and two big dogs, maybe less to break was a good idea...

Your home is beautiful, I love everything about it!

• mjjones453
    12 years ago

OOps, hopefully know it will work. Click on my above link. Mary

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

You are all so incredibly creative! Wow. Lisa_mocha, I love all the white. MIL gave us this beautiful runner and the little vintage tree this year. The other items came from last year. The gingerbread man is actually a wine bottle holder. Of course, need to keep our mischievious cat away from this!

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

Everyone's decor is so pretty!!

Lisamocha, my3dogs, ttodd, and allison...WOW! All of you have a style that just speaks to me. Really gorgeous, outstanding homes! You all should have those photos in a magazine!

I did almost nothing this year. I put up the tree right after Thanksgiving, and then life just got kind of crazy, so that's all there is. I didn't even bother to put the wreath on the door, so I've enjoyed seeing all of the other wonderful photos.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Thank you, franksmom. I've enjoyed doing and seeing them this year. DS and his fiance will be here Tuesday. He told me today "hope you are leaving all the decorations up for (fiance)." Hadn't even thought about taking them down - he remembers all the years I would start the day after Christmas.

• judithva
    12 years ago

I enjoyed everyones decorating so much.

This is my tablesetting for this year, pale greens, white, and silver.
    Excuse the lack of curtains, I am remodeling, I just finished painting and not put up my curtains yet.
    Dressed up "Lady"

Pink tree, I didn't decorate it as much this year because I was not feeling well, but I guess it would do.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Judith, LOVE your dressed up Lady! I am guessing you move her when people are at the table? Anyway, she is marvelous.

This thread has been fun to read.

• judithva
    12 years ago

cyn427, thank you. Yes, she moves back to the buffet table, "she" is there for my arriving company and before dinner is served I put her back in her normal "home". :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Ah,thanks. I am green with envy-love unexpected touches like that!

• graciepunkin
    12 years ago

Wow, such great holiday decorations!

I just ordered the reindeer from Wisteria Allison linked above. It is now on sale for $44.75, but I saved an additional 40% paying only $26.85 by using coupon code EMAILOPT from retailmenot.com.

Here are a few of my Christmas decorations...

Meet Gracie (don't let the scary eyes fool you-she is a sweetheart):

Meet a tired Punkin'

Can't leave out our owner...meet Brutus:

And in closing:

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria Reindeer Link

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I saw it was on sale earlier, but had DGS so didn't come post. I ordered 12 garlands from Wisteria today to use on the front veranda French doors and a mirror or two indoors. Oh well, was going to link but they are gone now.

• natal
    12 years ago

Thanks Gracie! I ordered the Santa. Didn't buy anything new this year. $15 end of season (including shipping). It'll be fun to stand next to the tree in 2012.

Allison, the noble fir? Says out of stock, but call for arrival date.

Here is a link that might be useful: Noble Fir garland

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Yes, that's it! Didn't show up when I searched garland or on the sale page. Had to go to Seasonal.

• lefleur1
    12 years ago

whoohoo ~ thanks to allison & graciemay ~ I just arrived home from our Christmas vacation & immediately ordered that wonderful deer ~ also used the coupon ~ such a deal.

FYI for anyone in the Galena,Il. area: If you are ever thinking about a destination family Christmas, this is a perfect spot. It takes about 3 hrs. to get there from Chicago and we have rented different large houses that accommodate our extended family (16) for the last 11 yrs.

• chijim
    12 years ago

I did minimal this yr.

Jim

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

Love everyone's decorations! I only did my mantle and it's not worth photographing. We lost a kitty after a long illness just weeks before Th'giving, and I just didn't feel like it (and with no one coming to our house for holidays, just didn't see the point).

GracieMay--where did you get the Kitchen towel? I have a group of friends for whom "b*tch" is a common theme (in a good, friendly way!). This year, a husband bought magnets for all of us that says "Wine takes the b*tch right out of me". A towel like that would be the perfect gift for these gals to have ready for next year! Thanks!

• graciepunkin
    12 years ago

Hi Tracey, sorry to hear about your kitty. I found the towel at the Atlanta merchandise mart (America's Mart) the vendor primarily sells to gift shops so I'm sure you could find locally or online--perhaps Etsy. I also bought a towel that read "Yes, I know she's a b!tch-but she's family, so that makes her OUR b!tch". My brother loved it :-) lol!

• natal
    12 years ago

Tracey, I'm sorry about your kitty. We lost ours (Artie) in early October and I have to admit I had to push myself to make it feel like Christmas, but I'm glad I did.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

It pays to check in on this thread often because there are so many beautiful things I want to comment on but I get so sidetracked when I look at th enext response! You all do great decorating! I have to say though that everytime I see the picture of Whitdobe's dog I get the biggest smile on my face!

Jim - fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!

JudithinVa - feels like it's been awhile since I've seen you post. Very beautiful. I love the white tree w/ pink ornaments. I just bought a pink tree for DD's room today but seeing your tree I wish I'd maybe have gotten the white one for her room. Her room is white w/ pale pink, grey and a hint of deep berry in her duvet. Hmmmmm.... What to do?!

Here is the banner that I made. I made one for my Sister but I used scrapbook paper instead of old newspaper laying around. Hers is shades of pink, red and greens. Some argyle letters, stripes, floral prints, a damask and a circle pattern. Each letter also outlined in red. Her letters are of heavier weight paper so they haven't curled up like mine. I used scraps to make the holly berries & leaves w/ thumbtacks glued on to the backs. No pics of hers yet. Camera battery died and I can't find my charger.

• artydecor
    12 years ago

Lurker here-
    I'd like to share my Christmas before I take it all down. My family had a beautiful Christmas day, I hope everyone here had the same.
    And thanks for the Wisteria coupon code. I bought several items and saved a bunch.

{{gwi:1900643}}

{{gwi:1900645}}

{{gwi:1900647}}

{{gwi:1808407}}

{{gwi:1900649}}

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I have not moved or deleted my photos. Not sure why they're not showing up anymore. :(