Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_602339

White Crown Molding Over Oak Cabinets

16 years ago

Our dining room, kitchen and family room is an open plan. The kitchen cabinets are oak and there is a large entry to the dining room that is oak. The walls are a warm brown. I am wondering if it would look ok to put white crown molding around all of these rooms. The cabinets are drop downs. I want to continue the white crown molding down the hall which is the same color of brown.

Thought about staining the crown molding oak, but really hate to put it down the hall and you can see the whole layout as you walk in the door.

I posted this on the remodeling forum. Got one nice response that she had put the white crown molding over her drop down stained cabinets and liked it.

Does anyone have a picture of doing something similar?

TIA,

Dora Lou

Comments (13)

• 16 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning! Love the lighting...can't get too much in a kitchen.

A drop down cabinet is one that leaves a space between the ceiling and the top of the cabinet. You can then set things on top.(There is probably a better name for them.)

Thanks for the picture. Yes, I do like the white on top! I have been agonizing over this for a year. Would love to see more pics.

DL

• 16 years ago

Thanks Texas! I should have figured out that a drop down is a cabinet that drops down, as opposed to one that goes to the ceiling like ours do.

So are you looking for photos of darker rooms or hallways with crown molding that's painted white? That should be easy to find, both here and in the various decorating magazines.

Or are you looking for white molding on darker stained cabinets? If that's what you're planning, then will you have molding above the cabinet, too? It gets further complicated when you're talking about rooms that open up to each other and how you'll treat the areas where the crowns end or meet up unevenly with another crown.

When we were planning ours, I looked through many, many magazines for options-and, in the end, went with the builder's error.

• 16 years ago

That photo looks great. :O)

I'm not sure if I know what you mean, but I just saw a kitchen with cream cabinets glazed with a brown glaze, and the molding at the top of the cabinets (not crown molding in the room, but the actual top molding on the cab's) was a dark brown stained wood. My goodness, it was gorgeous! I know it's the reverse of what you appear to be asking, but I still think the opposite would look great too.

I'm having a similar dilemma as you with trim thru the house... can't decide if I want stained doors and trim or painted whitish doors and trim. Well, I know I want wood doors/trim on the main floor, but they are more than 4 times the price as a painted door. And I really would prefer white trim/doors on the 2nd/3rd floors, but the 2nd floor doors are visible from the first floor. Decisions, decisions.

Best of luck as you choose. FWIW, I think the white trim sounds great for your home, even with oak cabinetry. :o)

• 16 years ago

Texas,
    We just did the same thing that you want to do last week. Before I did it I had the same concerns that you did. Here is a picture. I hope this was what you were talking about.

• 16 years ago

My cabinetry isn't oak, but they are stained and we have painted white crown molding throughout. This is a new construction, so these pics are taken at different phases. If you are interested in more detailed photos, just let me know and I will take some better ones.

Before staining and painting completed:

• 16 years ago

Thanks to all of you. You have eased my mind and it is full steam ahead. White crown molding everywhere.

What beautiful kitchens you have.

Will post pics when we get this project done. Probably spring!!!!

• 16 years ago

Doesn't it feel great to make the decision? I'm sure it will look wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos. Good luck texas!

• 16 years ago

mavs_fan - Tell me about the faux brick corner I see in your beautiful kitchen?

Like mavs_fan, my kitchen is cherry, but we have the drop down cabinets and white crown.

• 16 years ago

Newhomebuilder,

Thanks for the kind words :-) The tape and bed/texture guy added sand to the texture compound and after taping the brick pattern on the walls, used the sanded texture to make the "bricks". He also made the surrounding texture appear to be breaking away from the brick. The faux finisher then painted the brick to mimic our exterior brick and therefore a full masonary wall with the plaster cracking away. Here's are a couple of close-up shots in a different area of the kitchen....

This one was taken before any of the surrounding area was glazed:

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Progress So Far

• 16 years ago

beautiful kitchen! We have 9 ft ceilings in our house and our cabinets are staggered at different hieghts but we have cove moulding around the top.

Just wondering why the cabinets are installed unfinished? We I live that is unheard of! Just very curious as to why!

Again, BEAUTIFUL!!

• 16 years ago

Thank you for the explanation, mavs_fan. Your entire home is beautiful and I can't wait for you to show it off when you are moved in.

• 16 years ago

Thanks for the kind words newhome :-)