Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyadair

HUGE decorating dilemma! Which color???

daisyadair
16 years ago

First, let me introduce you to Reilly:

We adopted him yesterday from the Humane Society. He's a lovely shade of orange with amber eyes and a new black collar as his accessories!

Here's the problem I am facing - Which color claw covers to get him? Currently he's adorned with a set of orange ones that were left over from Halloween.

I do, however need to make a decision very soon as to whether I want to stick with an orange cat/orange claws pallette, or should I really go over the top and order black claw covers. The black would match his collar, but the orange is also good. I just can't decide!

So, please vote for which color you would go with - Black or Orange.

Reilly and I thank you all in advance from the bottom of our hearts!

Comments (34)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oh that sweet little boy! He's beautiful :) Congrats to all of you!

I have no idea on his claws, but he does look good in gray :)

• teacats
    16 years ago

What an incredible Christmas cutie!!! :) Just a lovely lovely face!

Go for basic black claw covers --- goes with everything! :)

• snookums
    16 years ago

Oh I say baby blue - to celebrate winter.

What a cutie!! He looks so comfy and I'm sure he knows he's found his forever family.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Excuse me ... what are claw covers? Never heard of them before!

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

What a handsome guy. He has the cutest nose! Why not get both colors and switch them out.

• skypathway
    16 years ago

What a cutie, I have a Riley cat too - spelled a little differently and sometimes, when he's bad, referred to as Mr. Rileykins.

I vote for electric blue - and new matching color - blue is his color, will set off his gorgeous orange coat.

Sky

• daisyadair
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I totally agree about the blue ones, however that color has already been chosen:\

I don't know if it would be in good taste to have more than one blue.

Check out the softpaws website, there's a number of colors there - even some two toned ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: soft paws

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That electric blue looks gorgeous on him! I had no idea the claws were so much fun. My new kids came with clear I think.

How about the Autumn blend :)

• User
    16 years ago

Personally I think they need to come in more fashionable colors so I'd stick with black to go with his collar and anything else he might decide to wear this winter. Like Jan said, black goes with everything.
    Can anyone tell me how easy these are to put on? I have three growing kittens and have noticed that my darling Joey has been distroying one corner of the sofa in my den! I'm going to recover it one of these days, so I want that to stop before I get it redone!

• User
    16 years ago

By the way Riley is adorable! He'd really look handsome in any color. Daisy's kitten looks darling the blue too!

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Riley is so cute! Again this makes me want to adopt a kitty cat so bad. Daisy's kitty cat is adorable also and I love the electric blue! I vote for keepign the orange and buying black as a spare pair.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Reilly (as in O'Reilly) would look handsome in any color. How often do you have to change them? I would match the season if you could. Do they nake white or silver ones for the winter season?

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

P.S. Daisy, How does Riley get along with your other adorable kitty cat?

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Reilly.... Sorry for the mispelling...

• daisyadair
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My kitty with the blue caps is 10 monthes old now and huge! Lynn, we are s l o w l y introducing Reilly to our other cats. Jackson (with the blue nails) is DESPERATE for a new friend and he has spent all day outside the guest bedroom door where Reilly is in residence. The girls are not interested in Jackson's game of chase the kitty around the house!
    Here's the link to the website that I got Jackson from. I wrote an article about the claw covers, and there's a lot of good information in it.
    I've noticed as my other cats get older, the claw covers need to be replaced much less often, maybe one or two every couple of weeks. Well worth it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soft claws directions and helpful tips

• budge1
    16 years ago

Just a warning, we just got a new kitty too (also from the humane society) and when I asked the groomer at the local pet store about getting the soft claws put on, she said that you have to be very careful to change them often enough. Seems she has had some cats come in with them grown into the pads of the cats feet.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

How pretty he is! Such gorgeous eyes.

I used the clear on my oldest cat, Boomer. The first two times they came off very easily. The third time, I was cutting them and peeling them off. :-/ It was a new package, don't know what the difference was - in the glue maybe? I trimmed the ends too because a few were getting close to his pads. They finally were all off and I haven't used them again.

DD2 adopted two kittens last week. Lola and Layla:

• User
    16 years ago

I'm going to blame this on how tired I was because of late hour in which I replied to your thread Daisy. I didn't realize, as I should have, that you wrote both the original post and the one with Jackson as a kitten. Not to meantion I spelled sweet Reilly's name wrong. Nothing more personal than one's name and to spell or pronounce it wrong is a sad thing.

I've had kittens and cats in my life since I was nine years old. She was a very tiny small (four pounds) calico named Katie. I loved her so much I named our daughter after her. Which I always promised Katie the kitty I would do. Katie the kitty was a soft colored calico like Allison's DD2's Lola. Assuming she listed their names in the order they are pictured.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

justgotabme, I read your post and that is how I spelled Reilly's name wrong and got confused also. Then I realized what I did and corrected myself. But I was just as tired as you. LOL

Katie sounds so cute! I love kitty cats that stay small like my Candy did when I was little. I love Calico cats. My Candy was a small Calico cat and I miss her.

Allison's daughter's new kittens are adorable and I am glad they will have each other to play with.

• daisyadair
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those calicoes are tooo cute!
    Budge, if the soft claws are growing into the paw, there was too much glue applied. I think that all problems that people have with the claws are due to too much glue - you just need a dab, and only at the very tip of the claw. Also, people who's cats immediatly try to take them off may have gotten the glue on their fur - cat's hate that!

• chelone
    16 years ago

We have a scratching post (it's beat!). And there are a series of "switchbacks" that our cats use to leave our second floor "apartment" and get to ground level, so they have lots of opportunity to "use their claws". You can also get a scratching pad that comes as a box and it made of corrugated cardboard. It unfolds and is impregnated with catnip. The LOVE THEM. Scope out Petco or someplace similar for more good ideas.

We have one kitty who has recently decided she rather likes the upholstered furniture... a habit I fully intend to squelch with the squirt gun in the coming weeks. ;)

(pretty cat, I've a soft spot to the yellow ones, personally).

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Thanks. They are adorable and her dogs love them too. I had to look back at her email, but I did get the names right! lol

Lynn, a kitten is what she told her boyfriend she wanted for Christmas. They went to adopt one, but DD2 said she could not leave the sister all alone so she paid for her. I'm glad she adopted both of them. They are so cute together.

Gorgeous kitten, daisyadair.

• claudesw
    16 years ago

BRAVO to all those adopting these lovely creatures in need of a loving home! I really need some claw covers for mine--they rule the home and ruin the carpet. Where can you get these claw covers?

• chelone
    16 years ago

Every single pet we have has been someone else's reject... 3 unwanted kittens and the out of control, 100 lb. dog (who only needed loving training). And, the nearly 18 yr. old tiger who, along with her brother, came home with me on Labor Day weekend... COVERED in fleas.

The only pet we've ever actually bought, was our cockatiel... he was $50, hand raised, and we had him for 17 yrs.. Money well spent!

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I ordered Soft Paws online from the company. Once, I ordered from Drs Foster and Smith website during a sale and I was ordering other things so price was better, even with shipping.

4 cats, 3 dogs - all but one dog was a stray or shelter adoption.

DS has 2 cats - both shelter adoptions.

DD2 has 3 dogs, 2 kittens - all but one was a shelter adoption.

My state has a new tag; spay and neuter. I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Is a a "tag" a motor vehicle registration plate?

If my state had one like that, I'd pay "extra" for it!

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Yes....and I suppose you have carts instead of buggies at your grocery store too! ;)

If you scroll down on this link, you'll see the tag. Cute, huh? :D

Here is a link that might be useful: New Tag aka Motor Vehicle Registration Plate

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

Wow, I have never heard of claw covers!!! I am so going to order these. Our Copper loves to scratch our kitchen chairs aaahhhh : ( Plus when he wants attention (can't figure out why he thinks he's lacking any, he's such a big sucky) he snuggles up and gives you a big popke in the Butt with a claw. That usually get visitors attention REALLY fast!
    Here's our 4yr old stray Copper that welcomed our newly purchased home 4 yrs ago : ) He's a massive boy but such a "lovey" guy, I just love strays they seem to appreciate family and life so much.
    {{!gwi}}
    Merry Christmas all

• claudesw
    16 years ago

thanks for the information on soft paws. One of our cats habitually ignores the numerous scratching posts that we have all over. The rugs are a much better challenge!

Great idea--adopting from shelters, and also spay neuter. We have a save pets tag but no spay/neuter--which is really a good idea. So much misery would be spared if people would do that for their pets.

Thanks

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I just wanted to say bless your heart, Daisy. People who adopt needy animals hold a very special place in my heart. I hope you, your family, and your new fuzzy darling all have a lovely holiday! He is so lucky to be with you, and I suspect that feeling is mutual. There is an email list on clicker training cats that you may enjoy, btw. Cats are just as easy to train as dogs are. I have been 'net friends with the lady who runs it for over a decade and you won't find a better animal trainer. She's a former dolphin trainer, btw, and co-runs the bird clicker list with me, and teaches dog clicker training classes as well. You'll love her.

• happyintexas
    16 years ago

For specific spots where cats claw, try out www.stickypaws.com

Our cat only visted the kitchen counter at night (she thought I wouldn't notice the butter licks lol) so we tried stickypaws. It helped her remember the rules.

I don't care for claw covers because I want my cat to be able to defend herself if she does escape to the great outdoors.

We also like the sticky paws scratching mats. Rascal had one under the tree this morning. :0)

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Soul

• kellym_2007
    16 years ago

Daisy, Your new kitty is adorable and so very lucky to have found his new forever home....
    Are the soft paws really easy to put on and do the cats mind having them on? I have 4 inside cats and usually take them to the groomers to have them clipped....Good luck with your new baby.....

• allison0704
    16 years ago

You still have to clip the nails before applying. I can do it by myself, but they are easier to put on with DH holding the cat.

• anele_gw
    16 years ago

Reilly is so cute! He looks a lot like one of my cats. Even though he's an indoor cat, I have a collar on him. It's PINK and it looks awesome, so my vote is for pink! :)