Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canopy or no canopy?

Posted by KevinMP (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 19:48

I just had a new antique bed delivered for my smallish guest bedroom. It comes with a canopy, and is meant to be used with it (not just looks but stability, too). But because of the pitch on the ceiling, it's a little tight. My neighbors say to keep it, and I'm inclined to do that, but I thought I'd check.

(I apologize for the goofy pictures, but there's really no good way to take them because the room is so small, and I misplaced my wide-angle lens. And no comments about the door trim paint or the plaster behind the bed. I need to paint, and I need to have my contractor re-plaster that corner by the window.)

View from hallway and stairs:

Photobucket

Photobucket

View form corner by closet (with me contorted on the floor; you'll see a loft area, which I hate because it would be better and natural light in my walk in closet (beneath it) without the floor)):

Photobucket

Photobucket

View from doorway:

Photobucket

View toward landing:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canopy or no canopy?

Not a fan of the canopy given the size and shape of the room, but if you choose to use it, perhaps do the open mesh style canopy cover so the room stays as light as possible.....

o

That lovely bed deserves a larger room. Send it back and get a bed without a canopy.

o

That's not an option. I meant that I can remove the canopy, making it a poster bed. It's a full sized bed, and appropriate sized for the room, which would have had that sized bed originally (although the posts may be high that has nothing to do with the floor space). The issue is the arched part of the canopy. There is 42" on one side of the bed and 22" on the other, which is plenty of room. This is an urban row home from 1826, not suburbia.

o

If you have to keep it, remove the canopy. It's too tall for the space.

o

I think that canopy looks nice with an open crochet net like posted. If you just want wood maybe less slats if they aren't all needed for support.

o

Here it is without the canopy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Kevin I love, love your house and have enjoyed seeing all your rooms.

My guest room is almost that tight also.

I know you want to use the canopy, but I think I would be inclined to take it down. The tall posts will give the room the antique "oomph" it needs. Do you have a larger bedroom you could switch it out with?

I know that is not what you are hoping to hear.

By the way - all your rugs are beautiful!

o

The canopy makes the room look even smaller. Just curious about why you thought this could work in this size room?
On the other hand, since it is a guest room and you will not be using it day to day, if you like it, then keep it.

o

I love older homes (I live in one), so I would love to sleep in that bed with the canopy and even with bed curtains. Why not play up the coziness of the room?

o

I kind of like the canopy...it makes the bed space seem very enveloping.

I think the bed is stunning with the canopy, and nice but more ordinary without it.

I think if that were my space I would want a heavier treatment than the one Annie posted. I would take the room to a rich, masculine, Ralph Lauren-ish place. Not this fabric per se, but this type of treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colonial Williamsburg image from Houzz

o

No. The other bedroom is much larger (16' x 15' vs. 12' x 10') and has a much higher ceiling overall, but that's my own bedroom and has a queen sized Henkel Harris bed I just paid a lot of money for, so that's not going anywhere. And I'm too tall for a full sized bed!

I highly recommend The Dump for rugs if you can find one in your area. They have insane prices and will negotiate. The Indian one in my bedroom and the Chinese one in my living room are my favorites.

Photobucket

DSC_0193

o

The whole house is cozy. That's how it's supposed to be. It's only 1250 square feet over three floors. So as helpful as the obnoxious, hiding-behind-a-keyboard comments may be to you, I asked for opinions on whether I should use or not use the canopy, not comments on why I bought the bed in the first place or why the room is so small, etc. But thanks for those, and thanks to everyone else, too.

Like I said, canopy or no canopy is the question. (I could turn the bed the other way, but the stupid loft area bump out is in the way (for now, at least).)

o

From what I can see, it's far more interesting, cozy and quirky old house-ish with the canopy. Are you planning on using fabric or netting?

o

I'm trying to find a non-flowery, crocheted top like this, but have not been successful so far. http://site.bedbathstore.com/googleimages/haknca.jpg

o

I would absolutely keep the canopy. Removing it completely changes the character of the bed.

If removing the loft bump out is a possibility, I would definitely consider swapping the orientation in the future.

I agree that your rugs are beautiful! A childhood friend works at the Dump -- I'd heard bad stories about them so haven't made the trek (I am 1.5 hr away now). It would be worth it for great prices on rugs. Any experience with furniture or other items?

o

What's wrong with the one you're posting from the bed bath store? Here are a couple places that custom make them:

http://www.cartercanopies.com/canopies.php

http://www.heirloomcanopies.com/heirloomcanopies.html

http://www.handtiedbedding.com/handtiedbedding.html

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 22:08

o

I would retain the canopy. More interesting, more challenging, quirkier. And I love the Xmas decor, too.

o

It's a twin. All the ones I find that are masculine are twins or, because of the arch in the canopy, would be too short.

The Dump isn't that great for most things. But when they have their specials (ilke when they advertise getting a truckload of high quality brand X), it's worth it, but they never have a lot in stock (usually, it's what's on the floor). And their hand knotted rugs are definitely worth it. All of the rugs in my house were less than $1200, which is insane compared to what you'd pay for them elsewhere. When I brought the living room rug to the furniture store to pick out my living room fabric/leather (my new leather chair hasn't come yet), they said that I should have paid at least $3000 for my rug. The rug in the guest bedroom was $1300 at the Dump, but I saw it on clearance one day when I was poking around, and was able to buy it for $700. The rug in the main bedroom was $2000, but I negotiated the Dump down to $1100 (probably because they know me by name by now) during their annual rug clearance (even though they had just gotten it in stock). They mostly buy from liquidation or bankruptcy sales for rug places in NYC who have stock piles of pre-embargo Persians and other old rugs (these are not new, they are all old). (The Dump does have Karastan rugs, though, and many inexpensive, machine-made rugs, too.) There are three Dumps within 25 miles of Philadelphia, so I have a lot to choose from.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 22:13

o

I am in the keep the canopy camp. Much more interesting and cozy. Love the style you're going with and your furniture. I don't see many people here going with traditional furniture but I have always liked it best and have a highboy too.

o

Modern furniture doesn't look right in these houses. People buy these houses for what they are, and I'm keeping it in that tradition, although it's expensive. There's also no way to get anything upstairs without having it hoisted three stories at $1K a pop, so that's why once it's up, it's not going anywhere!

o

Definitely use the canopy. Try a mesh one, although I think that a solid cream-color one would also work, but without side draperies.

Your home is lovely; I especially like the floors and carpets. And if I were going to sleep in that wonderful cozy space you'd have a hard time getting rid of me!

o

I love the bed with the canopy frame.

I crocheted one for DD about 25 years ago; hers was a double bed with an arched frame si I could customize it. I won't tell you how many hours I spent with that white thread! But, I loved it then and love it now. It was like the one in your link.

Dee

o

I replied earlier before your pictures without the canopy and I do like it better.

But also, after seeing the Houzz pic that Julie posted, I can see how the canopy can work. The Houzz inspiration room, even though longer than yours, is not all that wide and it works.

With those gorgeous rugs, anything will look good! Looks like the closes Dump for me would be Richmond, VA. I need a trip to Virginia Beach :)

o

I don't know if it's the angle of the photos, but the bed/skylight combo bothers me without the canopy (with the posters reaching toward it - they almost look like they are interfering with it). It is a beautiful bed and think the canopy with cover will make it very cozy and soften the angles and dominance of the skylight.

o

I like the canopy. I like the idea of a solid fabric canopy rather than an openwork piece but am not sure how that treatment would work given the arch (which is lovely).

o

Have you considered keeping the canopy and not covering it? The arches and the richness of the wood are beautiful and interesting.

What about a single width of a stunning, almost reversible, fabric or a tapestry, running down the middle of the canopy? Leave the sides open so that one can still see the arches. I've tried to find a picture of what I am thinking about, but am not having much luck. I am seeing lots of canopy beds left uncovered.

o

Kevin, I will give my opinion in exchange for your sectional sofa (with the petite, yet traditional, arms) OR your living room floor OR that round end table. Deal?

Seriously, though, I see that I am in the minority but I prefer the bed without the canopy in this space. However, if you keep it up (it's probably easier to leave it on the bed than to store it) I would leave it empty. Since you are going for a masculine look, that is.

I think for a guest room, a double bed is as small as you want to go and a modern style would look out of place with the rest of your furniture. This is a beautiful bed, with or without the canopy.

o

I love your home and I would absolutely keep the canopy!

o

Is there any way you can lower the canopy? Even a few inches would help. That would mean altering the bed permanently, getting a woodworker or carpenter in to modify the posts, but it can be done. If you cannot lower the canopy I wouldn't use it as the effect is absolutely claustrophobic otherwise. Love those quirky spaces even if they do limit your furniture choices!

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 8:41

o

i'm intrigued by the loft--is that staying?
and i love the idea of a canopy with lush bedding at this time of year. in summer i'd switch out to a more open canopy cover.

o

I agree with homemaker. The canopy will make the room extra cozy. All I would notice is the beautiful bed, canopy and furniture and how beautiful the room is.

o

Kevin, I love your rooms and decor. As others have said you are creating a very warm and welcoming home. My only concern about a canopy is the skylight. I would think the skylight was put there because of needed light and if you put a fabric canopy, based on your pictures, I would be concerned about blocking the light as well as the sun fading the fabric. You can definitly use a "crochet" type canopy, or if you want fabric consider using a drape of fabric on each bedpost to add color/richness to your room.

o

Kevin, I love your rooms and decor. As others have said you are creating a very warm and welcoming home. My only concern about a canopy is the skylight. I would think the skylight was put there because of needed light and if you put a fabric canopy, based on your pictures, I would be concerned about blocking the light as well as the sun fading the fabric. You can definitly use a "crochet" type canopy, or if you want fabric consider using a drape of fabric on each bedpost to add color/richness to your room.

o

I like what rrah suggests. A similar effect of a bed scarf.
But something light.

o

Canopy --- but no frilly lace covering. Either like this:
http://interiorstyledesign.tumblr.com/post/11871086941/love-this-a-wooden-canopy-bed-without-the

or with a nice fabric.

But also see below.

Here is a link that might be useful: makeover

o

Well, darn. Had you asked this several years ago, I would have given you one of the open work canopies from beds in my parents' home outside Philadelphia! My sister took the beds, but not the canopies.

I also love your home and am a big fan of period row houses in PhilaPa. I think I would keep the canopy support up. It is charming and quite fitting.

o

Nosoccermom, that one is even closer to the ceiling than mine! And part of the reason I bought this was because I liked the bare wooden slats. Thanks everyone.

Here are some daytime pictures from this morning.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

If you keep it bare, I would see what it looks like removing some of the slats so it's more open like in the photo example.

Curious if you get much noise between the units of those old row houses.

o

You were SO lucky to get that beautiful bed to fit in there. And as the link from Nosoccermom shows, the bare frame of the canopy is beautiful in itself. With your exquisite taste, you don't need to ask anyone if what you're doing is questionable.

I have been reupholstering old chairs that I buy on Craigslist, and see that one in the corner of your bedroom in the Stewart Hunting Tartan 'sealed the deal' on my desire to do one in plaid. I just bought yardage to do a similar chair I have in that fabric.

Your home is stunning, inside and out! I'm in the keep the canopy camp, and it's perfect without any covering.

o

You cannot really remove the slats because they have wooden pegs that they snap on to, and you'd see those wooden pegs and a quarter to half-inch void where each slat was removed. I think it'd look weird.

o

My3dogs, I wish I had been able to find a chair like that on CL. It was an outrageously expensive Ralph Lauren chair (when Henredon was still making his furniture) on "clearance" at a local place for $1300. It was still worth it, and it's incredibly comfortable. That chair was actually the inspiration for the rest of the room, which lead me to buy more outrageously expensive furniture and the red rug. The problem is that Ralph Lauren doesn't distribute that fabric anymore. Oh well. Good luck.

A lot of my furniture I have been very lucky to have been given by my grandfather when he moved: that's where the coffee table and end tables in my living room came from. You really cannot even buy stuff like that anymore without spending huge amounts of money. The coffee table is solid walnut with a burled wood top and weighs like 200 pounds, and the end tables are walnut with a wedge/pie-piece looking top and an ebonized base.

o

Wondering how the noise is between those rowhouses?

o

I never hear anything. The walls are two-feet thick between homes plus there's the plaster, and every house has multiple fireplaces on the one side, which also would help with noise. (There's actually a fireplace behind that highboy that was covered up many years ago that I've thought of bringing back.) The noise from outside when the bars clear out is a different story, and I'm glad my bedroom is in the rear of the house. But when I purchased new windows two years ago (a costly and incredibly time consuming mess because of the historical red tape), it did really help with the noise.

o

That's what I was wondering about those old walls. True about the street noise. It can be pretty bad in the city without great windows but maybe not as much on a side residential street.

o

I think it's just lovely.. even more so in morning light. Please leave it as it is.. with the canopy and no cover.

..until or if you remove the loft bump out (which is an interesting detail so I am not pushing you to do so! I bring it up again only because you'd mentioned it.) in which case, i'd prefer the bed to run lengthwise under the skylight... but this is a minor detail.

o

The loft is not historic, but it does create a sleeping space for kids for resale. You don't normally buy these houses with children, however, so I'm thinking of having that bump out removed when my contractor fixes the plaster by the window corner, making the wall flush and putting in some sort of panel that could be removed if anyone wanted to use that as a loft space. Then, I could rip open up the floor boards so that my closet has access to the light from the skylight above the loft.

o

When it comes to these houses, all typical or current notions of "scale" have to be thrown out the window.

I am sure you know your history, and a house of this size would probably have had fairly low rope beds, and maybe a trundle in an upper room, and a bed of this scale, and the highboy --in the unlikely event that the owner or renter of this house could have afforded furniture like this--would have been front and center on the first floor in what we would now consider the living room.

It would have been down there partly so everyone could see it, and partly because the most important member of the household slept in the most important room. There was no notion of dedicated "living rooms" in houses of Any size until after this period if your house is Georgian/Colonial, or, if your house is Federal, they were starting to think of different rooms for different purposes. But usually not in a house your size. And, there were probably ten people sleeping in it at night. The house I mean. But the bed probably would have had a lot of people in it too by today's standards.

So with this long-winded preface, I would probably use it with the canopy frame at least. Yes, it crowds the ceiling, but it gives the bed a sense of containment and balanced proportion independent of the slants and jogs and such of the room.

When house hunting, I looked at a large house right off Washington Square, and I noticed that there was almost No furniture of any substance above the first floor, and the third and attic levels had all IKEA.

The problem was that nothing would fit up the stairs,(anyone over about 5-9" had to duck or risk concussion) and some of the doorways were 21" wide. And this was not a small house. The reality is that in the 18th century, there were only pieces that could be completely taken apart or hoisted through a window (with the sashes taken out) on any of the upper floors.

They don't make good furniture that comes apart anymore, and today it is expensive to hoist. its not done with a block and tackle anymore.

o

I tried to find a rope bed that had been retrofitted for modern mattresses and wasn't beaten up. No luck. You're right about the room not likely having a rice bed, but it's the best I could find and in perfect condition (it's only 50 years old so it's not really antique in terms of the age of the house, but the style is old and no one makes full sized beds like thus anymore).

I've come to know hoisting all too well... Luckily, there are a lot of experienced movers in the area.

o

I think it is perfect for your needs.

I have a "newer" (probably closer to 1850) rope bed, with rope, and I would never actually ask a guest to sleep in it as is. It's 3/4" it's creaky and it is in its original finish as far as I can tell. It was super cheap because people don't want 3/4s anymore.

I understand what "sleep tight" means now: "I hope your ropes aren't saggy".

o

I love the look of the canopy and hope you will keep it. No matter what you do, the room is tiny, so why not embrace it instead of trying to make it look like something it isn't.

I love your house! Judging by the view out the window you are in Philadelphia. Am I right? I love this city. Wish I knew your address so I could cruise by but of course you cannot share it here! I spent my early years at 20th and Delancey.

The Dump makes me gag, but I have heard their rugs are a good deal. I will have to check it out if I can possibly stand navigating my way through the extra large, extra ornate, cheaply made furniture between the door and the rugs.

o

Just an fyi if you are looking for old beds---head to upstate New York! There are tons of them in old antique stores. I have a friend in Ithaca and we came across lots, most just stacked in pieces with headboards, footboards, and rails against the walls in back rooms. Not expensive either. For that, try Leonard's. Their beds are beautiful.

o

Henredon no longer makes Ralph Lauren furniture? Who makes it now? Since when? I have had some RL pieces that I love for many years. Never knew the manufacturer had changed.

o

Did you watch the first episode of Million Dollar Decorators this season where Martyn Bullard designed a $50,000 marble dining table that was too heavy for the elevators in a New York City condo, so the client had to pay an additional $10,000 to get it lifted by a crane onto her balcony? Funny that Martyn didn't consider how it was getting up there in the first place.

I love your house and how you've decorated it. I'd probably use the canopy because it's so charming.

I live outside Phila. and would never have thought of going to The Dump for oriental carpets. Yours are gorgeous and really a steal for what you paid for them. Is one of the three Dumps you mentioned better than the others in regards to selection?

o

Just dropping by again to say that your home is beautiful and you have a great eye.

o

I know someone who had to schedule and pay for a very long sofa to be hooked onto the bottom of an elevator to deliver it to the floor he lived on. Luckily the halls were big enough to get it back out once it got to the right floor.

I know my sofa will not go up the stairs in my new house, and the house is semi-upside down with the perfect living room on the third floor. I may be hiring a scissor lift :(
Luckily there are French doors on the third floor.

In my current house I have a dining room table in my bedroom. This is because the large table desk would not fit up the stairs or through the fourth level service hall (it's about 30 inches wide) to the second floor of my bilevel apartment. My dining room table comes apart so it ended up in my bedroom.

There are tons of issues getting furniture into small urban houses. :/

o

kitchendetective, Henredon stopped making Ralph Lauren at least a year ago (my chair (the Marion Chair) had been on the showroom floor for nearly three years. I believe AJ Victor now makes Ralph Lauren's furniture, but I'm not positive. AJ Victor is more expensive than Henredon. I know that Hendrixson's in Warminster, PA has a great Ralph Lauren dresser/chest (it's kind of an in between width height and depth, so I'm not really sure what you'd call it), and it's a great price. So, if anyone's interested...

Chickadee, the Dump in Oaks (by King of Prussia/Valley Forge) is the nicest in theory, but I think designers hit it immediately every Friday morning to steal the good stuff, as they've never really had anything I liked. The Dump on Route 1 in Langhorne is good. If you go, talk to the short skinny guy with bad dyed hair. He's helpful. If you stick to Persians, tribals, Turks, Indians, the stuff is usually pretty good. He'll know where the good/unique ones are. The Dump in Turnersville, NJ is also good, and I think almost better because I feel like no one in that area shops there. It's on Route 42.

Palimpsest, I know you know the problems of dealing with these houses. If you have weird moving issues, try calling Mastrocco. They came highly recommended to me and have moved nearly all of my furniture. They're moving my new Hancock & Moore chair when it comes in several weeks, and they're actually used by Kaplan Interiors (where I bought the chair) as their movers. They have gotten things into this house that I didn't think were humanly possible. I bought this house empty, thinking oh what great space, and then I started to think about how the hell I would get furniture in it, and why it was empty to begin with. (I think it was empty because it's not easy to sell an expensive-ish home with futons and Ikea home-owner-put-together furniture because the buyers will realize that that's what you'll be stuck with.)

Fortunately, I have managed to get a lot of furniture into this house through some creativity, and some demands (like my sectional, that I demanded be made with fully removable legs and all loose cushions, etc. What a nightmare.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 2:14

o

A vote to keep the canopy -- gorgeous home! :)

o

I read the top posts and then skipped to here. I love the canopy, and think it makes the room cozy, like the photo someone posted, showing the williamsburg open work canopy. I also wanted to say I admire your style, you make a small house look grand!

o

I like your bed retaining the canopy but with no fabric. Wouldnt a cover be a dust collector?
If you like a canopy, maybe something along these lines...drapes along the sides pulled back to the front and end of the bed, leaving the overhead portion open? It needn't be a scarf, they could pull like drapes along the side rails. At a high end fabric store where I live, seamstresses are available. Maybe you could find a seamstress to sew you up something in a fabric to coordinate with your bedding.
Your home is absolutely lovely Kevin.

Here is a link that might be useful: scarf idea

o

I love your room so much I have to add more to my opinion. :) Don't worry about the room not getting enough light, cozy rooms generally are on the darkish side, IMO. You can always put a film on the skylight to keep any fabric from bleaching.

Saying that, I would go with a dark fabric for the canopy to match your RL chair. Guests probably wouldn't want to leave the room! Small and cozy...my favorite type of space.

o

I don't really mind the canopy vs. the ceiling/skylights at all. I think it's just a quirk of upper floors in historic homes and is charming. I personally wouldn't have picked a bed with such tall posts, but you're committed to the bed, so it will be fine. What I do mind is the loft bump-out/lighting soffit/dare-I-Say planter box thing jutting into the room. Because once I catch a glimpse of that, suddenly thick plaster work morphs into 1980s southwestern faux adobe . . . to me . . . so hack that thing out of there , tout de suite!

o

I really enjoy your style, Tks for posting.

Is the madras comforter on the bed in question from Ralph Lauren's Serengeti collection?

I still have mine from the late 80's--I've never felt anything quite as comfortable since.

Jim

o

Nope, it's Ralph Lauren Edgefield Plaid. It was discontinued a couple of years ago.

Believe me, I want to get rid of the plaster bump out...

o

My first inclination was to love it. The room is beautiful, the bed is beautiful, and I will take charm over McMansion proportions any day of the week.

Then I read a bunch of posts and thought maybe I was wrong

Now I think I am right again. All the tricks we are taught to make rooms appear larger don't work with a truly dimunitive space and shouldn't be bothered with a tiny historic home. Take what it is and run with it.

o

Oh, it's gorgeous! Embrace it and do it up with some kind of covering...maybe www.countrycurtain.com would have somehing suitable. Otherwise, it's worth custom treatment because it's just so special. We love to stay in B&B's and I frequently chose those that have canopy beds. We're in New England and what you posted is so typical here. Do it up in style and your guests will surely enjoy being treated in such style!

We have a huge 4 poster and now I want to add a canopy....sigh...such inspiration.

You've done a fabulous job on your place. Go with your gut! It's been taking you in the right direction in all your other decisions.

Please post back when you've reached a final decision.

o

Someone asked for my dining room wall color. It's Pratt and Lambert Accolade Velvet Finish in Wythe House Gray (really a steel blue in person)--an historic Williamsburg color. The ceiling is inexpensive ceiling pant from Lowes that I had tinted light blue. The trim is an antique white I had color matched to existing trim by Benjamin Moore (it's BM Advance Alkyd, which creates a high, almost oil-based sheen but with latex).

Here's a better picture of the living room colors:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And the kitchen:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bathroom:

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you were wondering, the living room is Benjamin Moore Aura Matte in Phillipsburg Blue, the upstairs bedrooms and landing are Pratt & Lambert Accolade Velvet Finish in Weatherburn Tavern Bisque--another historic Williamsburg color. The bathroom and kitchen are both Benjamin Moore Aura Bath/Spa (a mildew resistant paint) in Matte finish in Mt. Saint Anne. The bathroom trim is Benjamin Moore Aura Bath/Spa in Matte finish in Dove White/White Dove (whatever it is). The kitchen trim was color matched by Sherwin Williams to the cabinet color, but it's MAB Luxe Low Lustre, which is the perfect sheen to match the cabinets and took forever to find.

The front door is Pratt & Lambert Accolade High Gloss in Velvet Red (believe it or not, I went though several reds and hated them all until this one, especially the Benjamin Moore ones). The exterior trim/shutters/windows are all Benjamin Moore Aura Semigloss in Jet Black. You already have pictures of those colors.

o

Thanks for taking the time to share your pics and colors with us.

o

Love everything especially the kitchen backsplash.

o

Annie, is that a Spiegel bed? If it is, I actually ordered the bed years ago but it wouldn't fit into a new place I had just moved to, and so I cancelled the order.

Not sure if you are still asking Kevin, but my vote goes for no canopy. Still, I'm sure if you go with the canopy it will look lovely.

o

I'm still leaning towards keeping it. But I'm also thinking about painting the room red when I get the plaster repaired and that stupid bump out demolished (which will also allow me to reposition the bed where it probably should be.

Any thoughts on red walls (deeper than this, but the plaid on the bed would have to go obviously)? Yes, it will make the room feel smaller, but I kind of like that, and it's so damn bright during the day it doesn't really matter how dark it is.

o

Your home is amazing.And yes to the red btw. I repeat, you made a small home look grand. swoon.

o

dominoswrath, no idea....I just search for an image on line to illustrate what I'm thinking of....could be, maybe not, don't know.

o

After seeing the pics without the canopy, I think you have to keep it...without it, it looks like the posts are trying to support the ceiling and didn't quite make it.

To keep it less feminine, perhaps you can get a single width of fabric to run over top of the canopy....maybe with a flat edge or a slight wave over the foot of the bed, hanging down about 12" or so, then run straight over top of the canopy and down the back side. So it would completely cover the top, but have no sides on it. It would reduce the froufrou factor significantly.

o

Alright, I guess I tired you all out since I received only one response regarding painting the walls red. I bought the paint today, and I had already picked out Pratt & Lambert Accolade in Velvet finish in China Closet Red (historic Williamsburg color). It'll look very similar to the picture above (and is identical to the same color made by Martin Senour paints). I've just put on one coat, but it'll need one more (at least). I'll post in the AM.

Vote for red (assuming it's not too late). My contractor is trying to squeeze me in on Thursday or Friday to do the plaster and rip off the stupid bump out.

o

I agree on the keep the canopy but keep it bare - it looks great as is! The framework seems to improve the dimensions of the room.

I think a deep red would be fabulous. Check out BM Mexicana, we used it for an office and a fireplace accent wall and it's lovely.

I love your colors and decor, especially the kitty :)

o

Hi Kevin(my oldest son is Kevin), just an FYI on red paint. It will never get to the color it's 'supposed'(or you want!)to be without doing a base coat of charcoal gray, and it makes no difference on the brand of paint. It may make a difference on the intensity of the red as to how many coats you will need over the base.

I used RL Balmoral Red several years ago, and only needed two coats over the charcoal~had I put it on a bit heavier, I could have gotten by with
only one.

Since you've already started, and want to avoid 4 or more coats, you will unfortunately have to cover up your first coat with the charcoal.

o

Red! Yes! I love the red in the above picture, it's reading very coral on my monitor and I find it fresher and more up to date than a deep red. One of the few things I have disliked is the plaid comforter- too puffy, too old style looking, so getting something different there is good, imo.

That picture is so attractive/interesting too, I saved it for reference; the pillow arrangements, open frames, etc.

o

About the red color - Picture 'When Harry Met Sally', and Meg Ryan in the diner with Billy Crystal...'yes, Yes, YES!!!!!'

If my old cape was anything like your townhouse, I'd be saying, like Rob Reiner's mother in that scene, 'I'll have what (s)he is having.' and copy all that I could, as it's so darn beautiful.

Instead, I'm settling for re-doing an antique chair in the Stewart Hunting tartan plaid on your Ralph Lauren master bedroom chair. It's a start... :-)

o

Yes, rip out the bumpout and rotate the bed. The shape of the canopy will work much better with the ceiling slope in that orientation.

And yes on the red. I really like the current color, but the red will add to the cozy, masculine feel you're going for.

o

I think the red will be stunning! Do you have a plan for the bedding? A camel would be lovely with both the wood tones and the red.

o

i have two red walls--ben moore moroccan in my house.
it glows and i love it.
i say go for it.

o

Kevin, I didnt originally like the canopy because of the bump out and the way it plays with the roof. My initial thought was ditch it, then I saw another picture and it didn't bother me as much (those day light ones).

Before you buy a crochet canopy, would you consider throwing a basic comforter on the top of the bed and seeing how it works with the push out on the loft as well as the ceiling? I actually think a crochet one won't work myself but I'm thinking that the fabric might kind of hide the bump and give that cozy feel you're after...not to mention that if the room is that bright it will help keep the sunlight out of a guests eyes when they are sleeping in the morning.

I am an old home lover so I love your house. I have a bit of house envy LOL My rooms are all huge which seems nice...til you get into plaster repair heh heh Red would be perfect for that room! Rich and enveloping like the rest of your lovely home.

o

Kevin, you don't necessarily need to use a 'crochet bed canopy' to have a crochet canopy. This is what i've had on my 4 poster Rice bed the last several years. I've just stretched it to fit over the posts.

I'm sure a crocheted piece like this is a few dollars less than the real deal. Just thought I should make the suggestion.

Here is a link that might be useful: crocheted topper

o

Love the canopy.

As for the necessity of using a base coat of charcoal before painting with red - I'm not sure that's necessary. Perhaps that depends on the amount of light in the room.

Our painter used Ralph Lauren Hunting Coat Red and he used two coats to cover the white walls. But this bedroom is north facing with one window.

o

Here is how it's come out with two coats. It's not as dark as it appears in these photographs. I really hate the glossy white ceiling. Should I paint it red, leave it alone, or paint it the same matte off white used in my bathroom and kitchen above?

My contractor is coming tomorrow to fix the plaster, so I will have finals Saturday.

Photobucket

o

Your home is very handsome. Love the new color. If it were me I would go with a matte white on the ceiling, I like the relief from the rich color with white. Its a big contrast but I don't think thats a bad thing. By the way, I would definately do the canopy, I really like the curved canopy. I wouldn't worry about the recess in the ceiling -whatever it is - it just adds to the character I think.

o

What a lot of action on canopy vs. no canopy. Who would ever have thought such a topic would elicit so much interest. ;)

I thought of this discussion last night as I was leafing through a design book I'd checked out of the library. One of its many images was of a canopy bed. To me, the canopy "made" the room. The bed was a lighter wood than yours, maple or natural cherry probably, but the effects were similar. There was no fabric over the canopy, and the bed and the room looked really good without it. The bed was very architectural, in a spidery, lacey way. I'm sure the canopy threw interesting shadows onto the walls at night, too.

I don't care for the white-white ceiling with the red walls either. However, because I usually don't like high contrast looks anyway, I'm not a very good judge of whether rooms with contrasting colors work. Even so, I wonder: what about a ceiling color that's not a true white at all? Could an off-white that reads as pale, pale tan or beige work? Would that read as a coordinating color, or would it merely look dirty or dingy? If you don't like contrast, what do you do with red walls? (Which, in your case BTW, I really like.)

o

I don't care for the bright white either but you have an interesting ceiling, so I wouldn't do red. You would at least need some crown molding to break it up. I wonder if you could do crown and the soft gold you had in there or maybe a lighter version of it.

o

One issue with crown molding is whether the room originally had it or not. In older houses, at least in ones that were not grand to begin with, my understanding is that upper-level rooms would not have had crown molding. Of course, a home owner may not care about maintaining that degree of authenticity. We had crown molding installed in the MBR of a Victorian we lived in. The house was on a street with some of the grandest houses in town, but it definitely was not one of the grand ones. But the whole thing had been so remuddled by the POs that one more new element in the place didn't matter.

The other issue is that our MBR was quite large. Kevin's room looks to be much smaller. Would crown molding make the room look cluttered and too busy?

o

It looks like he may have limited it to the dining room downstairs.

o

I did and that was intentional. None of these homes would have had crown originally because poorer people lived in them. I'm not trying to keep the house as minimalist as it would have been 200 years ago, but I still want it to be traditional (in the sense of the style, not in the sense of how a trinity house would have been). And I am not a fan personally of crown on vaulted, pitched ceilings.

I think red would be too much for the ceiling, but I'm going to paint the trim more off white, so the ceiling could be off white too.

o

ooh, off white matte paint on the ceiling would be great with off white satin woodwork. very rich and glowing.

o

I just noticed the molding on top of your kitchen cabs . I have never seen it done that way before. I wish I had thoughT about it in my last house. it would have been a great place to display my plates. I like how it sort of frames that space.

o

Random question - I love your sectional in the living room photo that you posted? Any chance you can share where you found it?? Thanks!

o

The moulding on the cabinets was not ideal. I had to have a soffit because of the angle on the drain pipe for my new shower stall and tub (above the kitchen) and because of the duct work for the hood. So that's why the crown is where it is.

The sofa is a Thomasville Mercer sectional with scoop arm and exposed, tapered legs (you can build it with different options) (mine has two love seat sides and one corner). It's a deep sofa, which is great. If I were you, and you get this sofa, I'd definitely get the spring down upgrade for the seat cushions.

This paint looks orange at night, which is a little weird, but I knew it wasn't really red red but more of a colonial type red. I think I'm going to stick it out.

o

I like the molding too, maydena.

o

Your bedroom looks just like ours with the same bed. I took our canopy off because my husband referred to our bed as the "covered wagon." lol

o

What a beautiful, tasteful home that screams cozy!!

Love the canopy with the wood slatted top

Love the red paint with your furniture and rug

Also love your sectional :)

Look forward to seeing the finished room. You are brave with your paint colors!!

o

I was too ambitious, thinking that my contractor could do this all in one day, but his truck needed a new starter so we didn't get started until nearly noon. Before long, he had to leave early. So he's coming back at 7 AM Sunday morning to finish.

But I thought I'd post some during photos for you to compare to what was there before. We still have to saw off the boards that are hanging over, but he wanted the new plaster to dry first. But you can see how the wall will be. All that's left is sanding and painting. So that'll be all day Sunday, I suppose. I'll probably try to put a first coat on the ceiling tomorrow.

And after seeing my floors again, it's a shame to cover them up... But I prefer rugs to walk on.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

o

I love the red. It definitely needs a cream or warmer off white ceiling and trim though. Or if you want to be really bold do the ceiling the same color!

Are you going to cut off the overhanging wood from the loft as well as the built-up part that was under it?

o

That wood is being trimmed off; I just have to wait for the plaster to dry before cutting it off so that the plaster doesn't crack. I've already taken off the end board (a 1"x6" that was running horizontally to cap it off).

o

Thanks for the RL update.
I use lots of red in my house. It really wasn't planned, but it worked out that way, and we are very happy with it. Yes to the red room. I'd even go with a red ceiling. Emphasize the warm, cozy aspect of the space.

o

Kevin,
What is the hardware you used in your lovely bathroom with the edenton tub? btw, i am copying it completely. I love it. excellent job!

o

I like the red. It's got more umph. I don't think I could handle it on the ceiling though.
Thanks for the tips about The Dump. I'll look for the short skinny guy with the bad dye job.
One more question, does your dining room get a lot of natural light? My dining room is in the earliest part of our house from the early 1800's with deep set windowsills facing sort of northwest, more north than west. It doesn't get much light until late afternoon. I love the drama of the darker color on the walls, but I'm not sure it would work in there. I painted the dark beams the ceiling color when we moved in so the room would flow better into the newer parts of the house, but the doors to the attic and basement and the beam across the stone fireplace are still in the original state. I wonder if I've have to paint them to match the trim if I went with a dark wall color. The white in your dining room looks nice and crisp against the dark blue.

o

The bathroom hardware was all Kohler Pinstripe Pure (bought online and saved at least $1K over Ferguson). The vanity hardware is from Restoration Hardware (Felicity, or something like that (the bail pulls are discontinued, however)). There's a long, detailed post on the bathroom forum. You wouldn't believe what it looked like before. Totally 80s.

o

Love your Home.
Love the bed with the canopy.
Love the red walls.
You have wonderful style & taste!

o

I'm finally just about finished. I just have to paint a piece of moulding to cap off the plaster/wood area from removing the loft bump out and pick up my tartan wool afghan from my parents' house over Christmas for the foot of the bed.

In my opinion (which is the only one that counts), it turned out better than I had expected. There's still the issue of what to do with the loft. That'll be the subject of another thread for another day. Enjoy, and thank you for all of your encouragement. (You'll see that I painted the ceiling off white (MAB Luxe Low Lustre custom matched), the trim a high gloss off white to match the rest of the trim from my first floor (a BM custom match in the Alkyd variety), and the walls red (Pratt & Lambert China Closet Red in Velvet finish (historic Williamsburg color. I also changed the bed orientation, changed the bed linens, removed the extra slats from the blinds, removed the bump out from the loft area (PITA), added a Library wall sconce from the Restoration Hardware outlet here in vintage brass, and changed shades to get matching ones from Restoration Hardware outlet (European Drum Shades in Goldenrod).)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'll take some photos in the daylight. The day escaped me. I was working on the damn thing from 9:15 until 4:30.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 17:37

o

It looks awesome! What I would do with the loft - put some large decorative baskets up there, used to store bedding and extra pillows etc.

o

At first, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me while looking at your home pictures
.....then it dawned on me Kevin...I was swooning. I didn't recognize the feeling because I hadn't felt it since 1982!!!

Love the canopy and would leave it bare. Love the red walls...I had teensy tiny guestr and painted it red. Love the furniture.
You have exquisite taste and it shows ....even in your choice of Kitty Cat on the sill!

o

Now that's gorgeous!

o

I think it's a perfectly cozy guest room.

o

Love, love your canopy and I would certainly be using it, with mesh or something similar!

o

I can't think of a cozier space I would rather retire for the night. You have done some amazing things with your new home and I hope it brings you much joy! You have great taste!

o

It looks great and very cozy!

Did you paint the ceiling matte? It looks shiny in some pics, but not others.

o

What a wonderful room. I agree with everyone else about it. What's particularly caught my eye the most at the moment are the little details. For example, Kevin, you might have mentioned this before, but where did you get the bed linens? Like the bed skirt, which I really like. I also like the fact that the bed skirt and bedside table lamp shade work so well together. As another example, the pot for the plant (orchid? staghorn fern?) - what is it and where did you get it?

I've been thinking of repainting a room. It's not as small as that guest room, but it's not overly large either. I'd already been considering a warm, rich color and the sucess of the red on those walls confirms my feeling that deep colors in small spaces can be both beautiful and cozy.

o

Stunning! I would have said keep the canopy. Thanks for sharing your lovely warm home with us. It's very inspirational for those of us who have tiny spaces to work with! And, the cat is beautiful!

o

Lynxe, duvet is Ralph Lauren Summer Hill (bought it at the Polo outlet locally). The skirt is from the Restoration Hardware outlet (I paid $6 or so (originally over $100, which is a joke)). The shades are matching European drum shades from the Restoration Hardware outlet in Goldenrod. The plant is a staghorn fern that has gotten finicky in its fourth year so I moved it up to this bedroom to get some better daylight. The bullseye glass vase is from Homegoods (several months ago). Good luck, and thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here