Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fanner

Open stairway HUGE wall, ideas?

fanner
13 years ago

This is my first post to the home decorating forum, my usual stomping grounds is the old home forum. We have lived in our house for 12 years now, and I am *not* good at interior decorating. I am so bad, in fact, that most of the original curtains still hang where they were when we moved in! Our house is a 1904 Queen Anne style and for the most part I like the idea of keeping things looking somewhat vintage. Not 100% purist, but at least close to period appropriate...

The front stairway is an open Oak stair case with a very large wall that extends from the second floor up to the 8 foot ceiling. I have been trying for years to come up with something tasteful for this very large space. I have looked at many iron type of architectural "things" like flowers, stars, clocks etc and none of them seem right. At the bottom landing of the stairs I have a large mirror, so another mirror would not work... I will try to include a picture of the space to try to give an idea of what I am talking about. Specifically I want something on the wall to the right in the picture, which would be directly in front of you as you walk down the stairs. Thanks for any input!! As I said, I am at a total loss!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (22)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

A series of pictures, either a similar group of prints framed alike; or a series of pictures that are somehow related but in different sizes and different frames. The second option isn't usually a quick fix. You may need to accumulate things for a while.

Here is a picture of my stairhall. I accumulated and framed these prints over several years and waited until I had at least one wall to hang. I was going for something very specific here so I used Keane prints (and it is very taste specific) --but it illustrates the idea. You could collect floral prints from the era when the house was built or something of that nature to create variety--or a quicker, but perhaps more expensive route would be to do a series of similar prints in matching frames. They could not be small unless you had a lot.

The wall facing you in my example has about 10 feet of hangable space vertically and 13 or so total above the stairs (a 10ft c + an 8 ft c.)

• fanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh wow, that looks amazing! This is definitely something that I would not have been able to visualize myself, but if I gave it some thought I'm sure I can come up with something that I would like in multiple. The space I want to decorate is quite similar.... maybe period appropriate frames with, as you said, floral prints. I will give that some thought, thanks!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Here's a link to another inspiration photo ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Phoebe Howard inspiration photo hallway

• nhb22
    13 years ago

palimpsest - How is it that I have never seen that wall before? It's wonderful!

• busybee3
    13 years ago

palimpsest...i love that the dark color(deep brown??) wall is the backdrop for the prints...really makes the colors stand out beautifully!!

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Do you have the architect's plans/drawings for your house, or how about using something along those lines framed out in different sized, but several frames. I can't really tell size-wise how big that area is? By my eye you could use maybe six differing frames (?), but the pictures being cohesive in that spot. I like architectural drawings - just my thing - copied, cut up to different sized frames and then grouped similarly to Palm's grouping.

Any type of schetched plans, drawings are easy to come by in the library if you don't have the originals to the house. Have seen it done in a small space with dark paper similar to yours - dk. green. I think the dark color helps you in that spot with regard to decorating.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I have an antique Chinese gate hung in my stairway.

• fanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oooh I would *love* if I could get my hands on the plans/drawings for this house. I can't even manage to find an old photo of the exterior if it, though. I do like that idea, though ~ I wonder if I could have someone reproduce something for me... that would look really neat; If I understand righ, it would be like a puzzle, where each individual picture is a different size but put together makes up the whole picture? And if you were to draw an imaginary box around them the would fit squarely (or rectangularly) into it?? Sorry, I don't know a single decorating/spatial term....

I do love the look of the gate, that was the sort of thing I was originally thinking of. But I just haven't seen anything that I thought would look good there.
    The area is roughly 9 feet high by 7 feet across.

Already I have some fun things to consider, thank-you all so much!

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

No advice, just wanted to sympathize -- I have the same problem. Danged wall must be 13 feet high and 10 feet wide. It's totally overwhelming to me (as are all my walls!).

• fanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If I did go with a collection of framed "somethings" what color frame would you recommend on that wall....? And is it best to go with all the same frame if I did the "puzzle" look vs possibly different frames in the same color for the "same subject, not the same exact picture" look? I hope that makes sense, I'm so decoratively senseless....

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

If you do go with architectural drawings, I don't think I would separately frame pieces that once framed and hung, make a whole picture.

My idea was just framing different parts of your plans (copies) separately, not one plan cut up into several frames IYKWIM?

As for the color frames, I love all sorts of frames, I think you should chose your artwork, then work on finding a frame color/colors/style that work with your subject and wall color.

• fanner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, that makes sense. Copies of different parts of the plan in different sizes but not pieced together. When they are hung, do I hang them all symmetrically; lined up so the outer edges of the entire 'scene' are strait? As in palimpsest's grouping the pictures are lined up.... if I were to put an invisible frame around the whole thing it would make a square or rectangle, does that make sense? I really appreciate your advice ~ this area has been bugging me for a long time. I will let you know what I come up with (hoping after Christmas sales will be a good resource for pictures of some kind!) and post pics when done!!

• doonie
    13 years ago

amyrsq,
    I really like your Chinese gate. It looks great there.

mrsrichards,
    Thanks for starting this thread. I have this sort of space too, in my entryway, and I am in the process of figuring out what to do. It may take some time since I won't buy it if I don't love it. It's fun to see all of these ideas!

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Thanks, Doonie. It's a Before shot for WTs. I suppose I should take the After, too!

• doonie
    13 years ago

amysrq...I am still waiting for the after shots! Would you mind posting them?

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Here ya go, Doonie.

I used some fabric from my stash, something I loved and had intended to use in the last house. Given the color, and that this house feels smaller, I thought that isolating the orange in the stairway would be a safe bet. I see it all the time, and get to enjoy the fabric, but I don;t have to force it to play nice with anything else.

The rod is set way above the window casing. I told my seamstress to just make the panels as long as she could. The shade is a very affordable discovery from Amazon. They are by Top Blinds -- custom sizes at off-the-shelf prices. The perspective is off in the photo...the rod is actually somewhat lower than the wood gate. I think this WT does a nice job filling up the empty space of the double-height stairway.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting Amyrsq! It is fun to see what other people have done. I really like the blind you found. It's great to be able to repurpose an item that you love!

• amysrq
    9 years ago

Remembered this post and Pal's stairway art. Thought this article might be interesting...

Here is a link that might be useful: Will the real artist please stand up.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

In an old house, wallpaper or a mural would be something to explore--even a very good paper would probably be less expensive than trying to find the right pictures, and framing them for such a big expanse. (Framing costs are really something, aren't they....I should learn how to do it myself.)

• amykath
    9 years ago

I once lived in a split level and had the largest wall to frame. i painted four large canvases that showed one abstract image. It looked amazing. You can always take a photo or find one and have one or more blown up as large as you like on canvas and either paint the edges a darker color or add a wood diy frame. Wish I had a photo!

• vpierce
    9 years ago

We have a similar two story open stairwell in our 1915 tudor. We have a grouping of about 15 antique botanical prints in similar-colored but not identical frames.

• lesleyintn
    9 years ago

I once hung a beautiful old quilt. It was an Indian Feather pattern. Bold and graphic. I loved it. Unfortunately any photos that I might have are old. Taken when we still used film!