Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

bedroom furniture dispute complete

akl_vdb
9 years ago

For those that remember, I had opened up a cc dispute for the shoddily done furniture I had spent a small fortune on. The owner today emailed me and said he wasn't disputing it.

Now I could use some help on picking new stuff. I'm not in a hurry, I have furniture now, it's just 20 years old and I'm not feelin' the love :)

Unsure of what direction to go it. I did love the look of the white, but in a previous post regarding duvet covers, it was mentioned to me that they couldn't picture the white with my headboard. I could also get our headboard guy to make something, but I don't want it to look ski lodgey. Someone mentioned iron. I'm open to all suggestions.

Can you please help with nightstands at least? I think we'll end up not using a dresser as we do have a big closet. And any other help with decor/pictures, etc. would be appreciated. The duvet cover is new, it's just an off white linen/cotton and I do like it.

The headboard also stays, we love it and just recently had it made. If you have any questions, please ask! The walls are BM night train, the floors are a 7.5" wide engineered med/darkish rustic look.

Thank you so much!

Comments (54)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys. Do you think I have room to put like a goldish mirror or something above my headboard? 8 ft ceilings, headboard is a bit shorter than I (5'1") like in the above pic?

I am happy that my DH said he doesn't need to keep his stuff in his nightstand (socks and underwear, he can dress in the closet), but would like one small drawer, so that opens up a lot of ideas. I don't keep anything really in mine either.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking online a bit more, I do like that metal with glass last pic nosoccermom posted. I don't know if I need more wood in the room. We had the bed made, not thinking we were going to get hardwoods in the room as well. Oh well, it's cozy!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you don't want wood, I'd look for a metal then. I think you'd regret glass. JMHO, of course.

Oh and no opinion re: mirror over the bed. Hard to say w/o seeing the mirror and a longer view of the room. I tend to not put anything over beds. Wish I had a strip of windows over mind is all. But I always have a lingering fear that anything hooked to a wall will come crashing down while I'm sleeping! Also think it can make that area look top heavy, esp. if you don't have stuff on the walls elsewhere.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 10:39

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True Tibbrix, I don't know what I was thinking.

So maybe something like this? (pic ended up at the bottom)

And I'll take a better pic of the bedroom. And ya, the other day is probably the best the bedroom is going to look (with the duvet somewhat straight and robot blankets not covering us :) )

View from ensuite door
    {{gwi:2142404}}

View from corner of bedroom, viewing ensuite door and that wall
    {{gwi:2142405}}

view of entrance to bedroom.
    {{gwi:2142406}}

Thank you ! Sorry it's a mess, lots going on this am!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ah, so helpful (btw, your bed looks like mine! Lol. My philosophy: It's gonna get unmade eventually anyway!).

If that were my room, I'd put the mirror over the dresser and the two prints vertically on the wall to the RIGHT of the bathroom door and put nothing over the bed and let the headboard be the decor there.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I dont love the prints, but bought them in the states and cant return them. I was just going to change out the pic or something.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Congrats on persevering for a full refund!
    You might add straight square legs to the bottom of your nightstands to raise them up & more in proportion to the mattress height. The craftsman who made your bed could easily make these to match the leg style & attach them at the underneath corners. The bed legs may be tapered square - hard to see on bed or bench. At any rate, match the leg style & wood. You can find metal legs in that style as well. The link leads to a much more primitive example but illustrates the idea. Your legs would be as tall as needed.

You could have opaque colored glass with finished edges cut to fit the tops of nightstands & dresser at most glass shops, perhaps in sage, pale gold or white milkglass, or clear glass with an underlay of another material that shows through. Might find hardware pulls in glass or metal to coordinate or contrast. Play with personalizing the furniture you have to your taste, since the shapes & wood coordinate so well with your custom bed. Really like your wall color & drapes with the wood tones & pales.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leg example

This post was edited by vasue on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 15:19

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like the idea of a mirror above the bed (like in that first picture I posted above). Could you cut paper or card board the size of the mirror and tape it to the wall? I have to say that I also like that high silver mirror in the first picture because it adds some height and is functional.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, do any of these work? I like the silverwood table, but unsure. If you have time to look at the link, I'd appreciate it. There are so many.

Here is a link that might be useful: any tables?

This post was edited by aklvdb on Sun, Dec 21, 14 at 9:17

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't care for the industrial look of the Silverwood. I really like the Magnus and the Logan for your room. How about one of each? I really like bedside tables that don't match.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The logan table is nice, thanks Tibbrix! I'll have to measure depth as it's 23" deep. I like the shelf at the bottom for a basket or books or knick knacks.

Kitchen light. I don't see my other post. Hmm, at the risk of repeating myself if it comes back, I'm all over the place with style. I just installed this modern fixture, but we love it. I like rustic and industrial, but can see where it would be too much.
    {{gwi:2142407}}
    {{gwi:2142408}}
    {{gwi:2142409}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

"All over the place" = eclectic.

Your kitchen light fixture is great. If you like the industrial look ,then that is what matters .And it does go well with the rustic headboard.

Do you want matching bedside tables? Maybe one Silverwood and one Logan?

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Eclectic, not crazy-making? :)

I don't need matching tables. I just feel like I don't have the design sense to do not matching, even though I have on my bookmarks a Houzz article " Do my bedside tables need to match?" and the answer is no. Intellectually I can see it, and in other houses I can do it, but in my house, all over the place.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Eclectic does have to be done right, or you're right, it can look just messy. My bedside tables don't match, but they're both of the same "genre" so to speak, namely barn-y/rustic, and both are dark brown. I love it.

Also keep in mind that, the table on the far side of your bed really isn't going to be seen. I think one square top and one round would look great.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

While I like the Logan and Magnus tables, I'd go for something less rustic.
    What's going to happen to the current tables? If you're not reusing them somewhere else, I'd look into some painting or DIY work.

How about this? It's a photo that's printed as an engineer's print and then glued on a dresser (should work with a nightstand, too).

{{gwi:2142410}}

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA hack

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nosoccermom- my folks will take my furniture (they bought it for me anyways when I lived at home).

Sigh, I feel like I've backed myself in to a rustic corner and I can't get out!

Thanks for the help all.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't think you're backed into a rustic corner at all. You have a rustic headboard, which you say you love. I think you're just looking for side tables that will work with it.

The Magnus, for example, I don't think is rustic at all, although I can see why NSM thinks so because of the shape, But the top is cement, which is actually very contemporary and really cool for a bedside table!

I think the Logan is more Mission than rustic.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by aklvdb on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 20:28

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

triplicate post!

This post was edited by aklvdb on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 20:27

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I am not much help (I am also on the search for nightstands), but I wanted to say I really like your kitchen!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The Arch Oval by Crate and Barrel comes in charcoal (white and blue too), has a drawer and a shelf, and is 24" wide, giving you some space for a lamp. The oval is a good counterpoint to the square headboard and window. $249!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Nice detailing for the money. They could have just put in. a skimpy shelf.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you may_flowers, that is pretty. And thanks rockybird!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

C & B Barnes nightstand for $299. I don't like the legs and shelf as much as the other, and the wood color may not work with the headboard, but it's got the big drawer and the simplicity of the headboard. I like the brass knobs and would change the knob on the oval table to a metal in the same contemporary style it has now. I hate to say this but I think a lighter wall color would be really nice with a wood or iron nightstand. But it could be that your room is photographing dark, especially this time of year.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks may_flowers. Would you suggest a different colour for the walls? ( my dh would just roll his eyes if i suggested it, but what the heck)I did have a lighter blue and it looked washed out. It is better inreal life though, that window is huge and we face east, lots of am sun.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh my , duplicate post again!

This post was edited by aklvdb on Tue, Dec 23, 14 at 20:37

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would have chosen the same color to pick up the teal in the curtains, but a lighter value. With your dark floor and headboard and white bedding and curtains, I'd want a medium value for paint, especially if you use dark nightstands.

I live in a gray climate for six months of the year in the PNW and have dark paint in most of my living space. Now I want to go lighter in the bedrooms, which are small like yours. I see some work going on with the molding--are you replacing it? Beefing it up a little would help brighten the room.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are replacing the trim, going with a soft white to match our cabs. We're doing 5 inch baseboards and 3 inch casings.

And just throwing this out there for paint, I was set on yellow before we got the curtains, long story short, how would this colour look? Dirty, or pulls out the mustard in the drapes?

I can't seem to just put the colour as a pic from the BM website.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM wandering heart or lighter variants

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas!

Since your room is east facing and gets bright light in the morning, I'd go lighter and less saturated. How about Golden Hills on the Wandering Heart strip? I think it would look great with your curtains and headboard too.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas! I'll bring up the change in paint to my dh when the egg nog srts in later⺠i do think that might be easier to design around. Thanks for the help.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

With the current paint, everything on that wall has equal value, so the headboard disappears instead of becoming a focal point. New wood or iron nightstands will do the same. I hadn't even noticed your sheets till now because they blend with the wall.

I'm not sure about mustard paint working with the gold tones in your headboard--the blending effect once again, and possible clashing. The charcoal nightstand in the photo works great with the mustard accessories, as would iron, because there's no warm undertones. I like blues and greens for a bedroom, and I think it's a better background than mustard for the white duvet. A lighter blue green would be a good contrast with charcoal and iron nightstands.

Might be time to photoshop!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

We posted at the same time! It's better to paint now before the new trim goes in, right?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

While I really like the mustard color, in a lighter form, and can see why you're considering it, I, like may_flowers, think bedrooms are best in either neutral, earthy tones or, my favorite, blues. I do think bedrooms "should" be calm and serene places, and hot colors like yellows and reds can defeat that.

Also, again since the room has an east-facing room and therefore gets a lot of natural sunlight, I'd go light. I'd suggest BM Nelson Blue, which is a very ethereal blue green.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks may_flowers and Tibbrix. I had smokey green on the walls before with the headboard wall nightrain (existing colour now) and I hated it. Is Nelson blue different? I'm sure it is. We have done a lot with the room, kind of?

We didn't have the headboard, or the curtains. And we had the pink carpet, and a greenish grey duvet cover that we took back as it was microfiber/polyester and it didn't breathe.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Nelson Blue IS Smokey Green, only slightly lighter.

If you hated the Smokey Green, you'll hate the Nelson Blue.

I'm coming to a conclusion that you prefer more saturated color. How about a saturated neutral

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix. If the headboard gets lost in the dark paint now, won't it get lost in dark brown? Sigh. I appreciate all the help, and love the Photoshop, I'm beginning to feel like a hopeless design caseð and my dh just told me I'm ridiculous.

This post was edited by aklvdb on Thu, Dec 25, 14 at 11:30

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I'd look at a rich green-blue as the base color on the chip, not blue-green. I like Pondscape and Rainy Day. The colors on either side are too blue and too green. I think that strip is close to the color in the drapes and best complements the mustard in the drapes, which is the color you wanted to use to go a little more contemporary in accessories.

{{gwi:2142398}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't think the headboard will get lost with any color because of the textural nature of the wood.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks may_flowers! And Merry Christmas!
    Thanks Tibbrix! I'm so confused!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

When in doubt, leave it out.

I that were my room, before I change the wall color, which you seem to really like, ak, I'd paint the trim and doors a creamy white, and I'd put in crown moulding. I'd also paint the ceiling also a creamier, softer white/ivory. I actually think that is where the real problems, re: wall color, are. I think that, once painted and moulded, the color you've got up there now would be striking and seem a lot less dark.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My guest bedroom has been painted a medium lavender for about 12 years and I'm ready to go lighter. It's the same size as your bedroom with one large window facing east. There's a queen honey pine bed, nightstand, and large dresser. The comforter is white with watercolory lavender and teal flowers, dust ruffle is white, and curtains are white. But it still feels dark on all but a sunny summer morning. It's the only time the kitties go in the room for a nap, so they're a good judge of ambiance in my book. Maybe you see the sun more than I do, but I need more light in my life!

Tibbrix has said that dark rooms are cozy. But she has also said chocolate and other dark colors work when there's not much wall space to paint. It has to be broken up with windows, art, furniture, etc. If the drapes are staying, you've already got your color palette.

Merry Christmas! Has he had enough egg nog yet?

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I do like the wall colour! I was in there just now, and it is brighter than what it seems in picks. I do want crown moulding too! Our moulding will be bigger and more substantial than what it was as well. And the doors will be soft white as well.

Thank you so much, and I hope you are having a wonderful day!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not enough egg nog (none yet actually, it's only 1230 here!). So he'll be happy. I think I will just leave it for now, I do love it, and it goes so good with the drapes.

We're in the Canadian prairies where it's cold yet sunny. So may_flowers, we don't get the dreariness of the PNW (even though I want to visit seattle and oregon, love the thought of the area!).

if I ever get my butt in gear and decide re: furniture, I'll keep you posted!

Thank you all for the help and I hope you're having a wonderful day!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, yay or nay? Sorry for the blurry pic, it wouldn't really let me post the pic.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: bedside tables

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I like those tables, but then I like the tables in general, Would the shelf answer your DH's need/desire for a drawer?

It looks like your bedside lamps are metal and so they should work with these tables. And the other nice thing about the tables is that because there isn't a back/front you could place them either way - they could go short side or long side against the wall or the bed and the two sides of the bed wouldn't have to be the same.

Did you decide on a paint colour?

I like the prints that you had. They play well with your drapes.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks blfenton. I'll have to see what DH thinks. I'd like the tables the long way, so we have more room side to side as they would be deep the other way.

I do like the paint colour that's there, but wondering if I could still find a rich lighter colour. It must be on my mind though, I had a dream last night that I was spray painting the walls yellow!

• steph2000
    9 years ago

Have you considered the option of floating bedside tables? There are a lot of options out there for them these days and they are so great with small spaces. I've seen some that would look great with your headboard.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steph2000, I had not considered floating bedside tables at all. Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like Steph's idea! I think you can even get them with a drawer. Shoot, your woodworker guy could make them! I don't know if your current nightstands are standard height, but they look about 8" too short, so you'd have some choice of where to hang them.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, stupid question. What about the cords?? I have a phone, monitor etc. Thanks! And ya, the tables are low.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator