Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dms1973_gw

Help with Orange Front Door

dms1973
10 years ago

My wife wants an orange front door on our brick house. I'm on board with that, but the problem is that we have shutters on the 3 front windows on the lower level of the house. There are no shutters on the second floor as there is a gambrel roof which means the windows are surrounded by shingles and there are no shutters on the sides of the house.

My concern is that I'm not sure what color the shutters should be painted to compliment the door. I think orange is out of the question. I have attached a photo that will hopefully show up when I post this. Do any of the color enthusiasts on this forum have suggestions. I'd like to avoid black for the shutters as it feels a little too Halloween-ish to me. Thanks!

Comments (56)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

On my monitor the current door/shutters appear to be a deep blue or blue/green...yes? They might look ok with the orange door....I'd paint the door first and see how it looks before going to the trouble of painting the shutters.

For the orange I would select something from your brick...maybe a darkish terra cotta. Pretty house!

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

I'm of the opinion that a front door should not match the shutters, but be the one standout color on the front facade. I like kellie's pic above with the burnt sienna.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Ohhh, building on Joanie's post, orange door with midnight navy shutters. Pretty! Just a thought.

• dms1973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love the tandoori and pumpkin spice suggestions. Thanks!!

@joanie you are correct that the current color is a dark blue/green. My wife thinks that it will go fine with the orange door, but I'm not so sure.

@dee I agree that the door should be its own color. Definitely don't want to paint the shutters orange, just not sure what color to use for them.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

very nice! i would go with a medium dark or dark charcoal!

• theclose
    10 years ago

Found a pic of my sister's Pumpkin Spice door. House is light gray- couldn't remember. Hope you find a color you love!

• amykath
    10 years ago

mamorella, that is a fabulous door and house! Thanks for sharing.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think a dark terra cotta/pumpkin/burnt sienna door will look fine with your blue/green shutters...an interesting and unexpected combination, but not crazy or out there...paint the door and post another picture so we can see!

• dms1973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, thanks for sharing the pumpkin spice. We actually picked that color up at the paint store this morning. Thanks for posting that photo!

• clt3
    10 years ago

We've used a terracota orange before. Looked really nice with brown cedar and red brick.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM onondaga clay

This post was edited by clt3 on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 11:24

• theclose
    10 years ago

Thanks, aktillery and dms! I will pass on the compliments to my sister.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful home! Although, I love the door and shutters the shade they are, I do think the color Kellienoelle posted would look pretty. Whatever you end up with, would you please post some "After" pics of the results for us? Did I mention how much I love your house(LOL)?
    Lynn

• lovestowalk
    10 years ago

Our front door is orange:

• dms1973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So it was actually pumpkin cream that we picked up at the paint store today. I put several coats on the interior door (haven't done the storm door yet) and have attached a photo. the sun was not out when I took the photo so the shutters almost look black. The yard is a bit of a mess too as we're in the midst of a landscape redesign and just took some trees down today.

My wife doesn't like it. I think its not bad, but I'm not sure yet. Any thoughts?

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

I'm not loving it eitherâ¦What happened to your big tree! :-)

I'd go with the darker orange/red that Kellienoelle posted. but then again, I'm a bit more conservative. I think the orange you've chosen is not enough of a contrast tone wise with your trim so it doesn't pop.

I like the dark shutters.

• dms1973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not loving the color either the more I look at it. I think we are going to try something a bit more red or brown like Kellienoelle posted.

The big tree had to go unfortunately. It blocked the entire house and after having sewage backups in 4 houses that were caused by trees growing through the roots I didn't want to take any chances. The front yard is officially a mess, but hope to get it turned around soon.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

This is a little too bright I think. Yes, more like Kellies...terra cotta...bring home chips and match up with the oranges/rusts in your brick...it needs to be darker.

• cawaps
    10 years ago

Look at BM Tomato Red or Vermillion. Both are orangey reds. I think more red definitely plays better with the brick.

If your wife is willing to give up on orange, I think a turquoise or teal would look fabulous.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

I kind of like it.
    It's unexpected.

• zep516
    10 years ago

"I think more red definitely plays better with the brick."

Agreed.

Use the bricks as guide.

• awm03
    10 years ago

What do you think of this orange?

• awm03
    10 years ago

Or how about this?

• awm03
    10 years ago

Actually, your orange is growing on me. Maybe if it were toned down just a tad:

• zep516
    10 years ago

Can you paint it red, just kidding :)

The first photo of orange is nice and much improvement! over the original orange color you first had.... the second photo here is a bit to light an not as appealing as I see it.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I like it, but don't love it. Like others have said, try for something a bit more on the red side. But I do think that the pop of color looks better than the original door.

Sorry about your tree, don't you just hate to have to take them down

• mic111
    10 years ago

I really like awm03's pic. It pops but also harmonizes very well with your shutters and trim paint.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

I really don't care for any of the orange shades. I would plant the front door black or cream (exact same shade as the existing black and cream paint) and put two planters of orange flowers (marigolds) for you pop of orange color. It would add a lot more elegance to a beautiful home than an orange front door. Just my two cents, of course.

• dakota01
    10 years ago

I don't care for it.
    With your brick, roof and trim colors orange seems to clash rather than pop.

I think I'd rather see a popping turquoise than orange. Not that turquoise is my suggestion, but it would complement better than orange, at least in my opinion.
    As another poster suggested, you can always add color with flowers and color pots also a pretty door mat could help.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

You might have needed a punch of color at the front, but your setting was almost perfect. I'm not a fan of the orange.

Oh my goodness, what happened to your lovely home & that majestic Live Oak in the front yard?

• awm03
    10 years ago

One more. I took the orange color from a picture of a clay pot, thinking it would work with the rusty reds & browns of your brick. Don't give up on orange yet! Lots of oranges to try. Looks like your beautiful slate roof has a bluish cast, as do your shutters, so an orange of some shade ought to work with all your elements. I've added "grass" to get a better idea. (Orange goes with greens too, along with rusty reds, browns, & bluish items).

• awm03
    10 years ago

One last picture! This is cued off of the brick color:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I played some....PPG red gumball

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

PPG royal hyacinth

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Then I tried PPG rum punch

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Just for fun, PPG Romantic Isle

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

The one posted by awm03:
    Posted by awm03 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 9:28

One last picture! This is cued off of the brick color:

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I agree, that one is my favorite of the orange tones. However, I do like the pop of the Romatic Isle as well. Without the greenery of the Oak tree and those smaller side bushes I feel like it could benefit from that more vibrant color as a contrast to the red brick.

Of course this means that we are completely veering off course for dms's wife's vision for the house! What is the long term landscaping plan? I know it will take some time to grow in, obviously, but once you add back in some softness you could always repaint the door.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

The only orange I've seen so far that I like is kellienoelle's pic from 12/29 20:00. It's more of a rust. I don't care for any of the lighter shades with your brick. The turquoise is just meh with your shutters. The door needs to throb a bit with rich warmth.

It's a bummer when a tree needs to come down. When the houses were built on my street, the city put in flowering pears in every small front yard. They got huge and if they didn't come down in the wind, the roots started cracking driveways (in my case). Beautiful trees, wrong locations. Now I have a Japanese maple and flowering cherry, better sized for my yard.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

my fav is the 12/31 9:28 post. i also think the 12/30 22:20 looks pretty good for orange. the 'rum punch' is ok, tho it needs to be sl darker and richer...

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Yes, awm's last picture.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Once you put the greenery back in, the orange works better. I think it's nice: dignified enough to befit the house, yet whimsical.

• geokid
    10 years ago

Maybe with a brass doorknocker?

• theclose
    10 years ago

geokid, I love that color orange! Do you know what it is? And that knocker is utterly fab.

• geokid
    10 years ago

Maria Killam says it's Beauti-Tone: Earthenware 3E1-8

I'm not sure it's the right orange for this house, but I think orange doors look gorgeous with brass accents.

ETA: I read further on the page and she says it is SW 6342 Spicy Hue. That color looks very pretty on the swatch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Front door colors

This post was edited by geokid on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 16:02

• dms1973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I've been away from my computer all day and I came back tonight to find so many great ideas!!! On the advice of many of you here we went for something a little less orange and a little more rusty, redish, brownish. The color we actually picked is Benjamin Moore's "Rust". I've attached a photo below of the finished product.

@awm03, thanks for all the samples. It really looks great with the greenery. We are hoping to sod in a few weeks. Unfortunately we are going to have to wait for the spring to be able to plant any shrubbery, but we cannot wait to get something on the left side to cover up the swingset and sheds. Thanks again for everyone's input and please let me know what you think of the color we chose. Thanks!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Love it!

• awm03
    10 years ago

I like it too!

• theclose
    10 years ago

It looks wonderful!! I hope you and your wife like it. I love the punch it adds. So vibrant!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Wow, I'm sad to see that your oak is gone. It's too late now, but in case you have other trees, I'd try to preserve them. There are ways to prevent clogged sewer pipes from tree roots. At least in my area, this tree would have added 20K to the property value. Even builders who build on fill-in properties here are now trying to preserve old trees because it makes sense financially.