Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

totally frustrated with paint color!!! help me!!!!

jockewing
15 years ago

Okay,

I am so tired and frustrated. As I have posted on several other threads, I am trying to figure out a color for my living/breakfast/kitchen. It is the room right off the front door. I currently have a beige/tan than I am tired of. I have described the poor lighting in the room. The only overhead lighting in the living area is a 4 light kit on the ceiling fan. The kitchen area is much better lit with a 6 light chandelier and a flourescent fixture (which I'd eventually like to ditch, by the way). Even with the addition of several lamps, the living area always seems underlit and gloomy. I thought changing to a cool color would help in this respect.

I originally wanted a toned down, sophisticated blue/green. I love aqua and love tropical, Asian, west Indies decor, so I thought this would be a great backdrop to natural fiber rugs, linen colored drapes with dark wood rods, tan and cream upholstery, and bright citrus and crimson accessories. Unfortunately, anything with a strong blue hint at all looks stupid on the walls. I just can't live with a totally cool color on the wall. I just need more warmth. I decided to move to a green with little or no blue, and I am getting close to what I want. I have tried the following: SW Oyster Bay, Contented, Halcyon Green, Comfort Gray, Softened Green, Grassland, Svelte Sage, BM Atmospheric, Del Mar Blue, Santorini Blue, Palladian Blue, Wythe Blue, Saybrook Sage, Tree Moss, among others.

The three I have narrowed it down to are SW Grassland, BM Tree Moss, and BM Saybrook Sage. Saybrook looks perfect in some areas, but on large expanses of wall, it looks too blue. Grassland is a very neutral green, but it looks a tad minty and maybe too light in some places. Tree Moss is almost a tad too yellow, and I don't really want an olive color. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just paint the whole room Saybrook and see how it looks? Is there a color very similar to Saybrook with maybe a tad less blue undertone? I am starting to think that unless someone comes and installs some recessed lighting in my room, I'll never find the right color.

Comments (19)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I would take the two colors you like and mix them. Really. I have a baking scale that measures in grams so I can keep track of approximate proportions. Or just mix by eye and then go and have whatever you end up with color matched.

I really like the Saybrook and I know you were leaning toward blue initially. I don't like olive at all (JMO) so I'd lean toward the Saybrook.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I feel your pain. First let me talk to you about lighting. Make sure you have the whitest, cleanest lighting. By that I mean, if you use incandescent bulbs, switch to Reveal bulbs. They give true rendering of color without the yellow tint you get with a regular incandescent. I have Halogen in the ceiling fixtures and Halogenia by Sylvania in some of my sconces. The other incandescent fixtures have Reveal bulbs. Secondly, you can find "daylight" or "bright white" flourescents to put in your fixture. I have Tree Moss in my foyer with Grecian Green on the ceiling and also in my kitchen. Here are some photo's for you to look at. One other thing, how are you testing your samples? Are you painting up at least 4 poster boards, putting them around the room and leaving them there day and night to see how the color look day and night? Another very pretty green by BM is Paris Rain 1501. You might want to give that one a try also.

BM Grecian Green 507 on walls where light is hitting
    {{gwi:1397847}}

BM Tree Moss 508

The ceiling is Grecian Green - wall is Tree Moss

{{gwi:1438904}}

• jockewing
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brutuses--

Your Tree Moss is just about exactly what I'm aiming for. On my walls it looks a tad yellowish- but that is the only color I haven't done in big expanses yet. I have painted an entire big wall in both Grassland and Saybrook, but not Tree Moss yet. Your Tree Moss looks like a perfect soft green without too much blue or yellow. But then, you also seem to have cans and alot of natural light. I would love to pop 6 or 8 cans in my ceiling.

I have also found that if there's too much blue in the color, its hard to match other colors with it. Warm colors seem to blend with other things alot better.

Brutuses, are you in N.O. area? For some reason I thought I read that in a thread before.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Yes, I'm just outside of N.O.

Even if you don't have the canned ceiling lights, just changing your bulbs in lamps will make a difference. Make sure to get some floor lamps and uplights to accent corners also.

In building my new house I learned the importance of good lighting. It can make a world of difference and doesn't have to cost a fortune. It's all in the type of bulb, wattage and placement.

I like the Tree Moss for the same reason, no undertones.

• les917
    15 years ago

Jockewing, don't forget that you need eye level lighting to warm up the room. Overhead lighting casts shadows - it can work to highlight specific areas, but it is not meant for warm lighting to make a room feel cozy. Overhead tends to wash out color. Sounds like your LR needs some table and floor lamps to bring the effect you seek.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

With all the ceiling lighting we have in the new house, we will be living day to day in that house as we live in this one, with lamps and sconces only. I only wanted the ceiling lights for drama and affect when we have company over. We never put on a ceiling light fixture, especially those in ceiling fans. They are the worst for creating garish shadows and horrid skin tones. LOL I made sure we didn't have any light kits in the ceiling fans of the new house. I'm still undecided on the office fan only because I think the office needs another decorative accent. The light won't be used, but the fixture will look nice. LOL

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

In the September issue of House Beautiful decorators discuss their favorite green and one that is mentioned is BM Acanthus Green 472 and the decorator who uses it says "I like the way it grounds a room. Anything looks good against it - blues reds, corals, browns. Worth a try?

• jockewing
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brutuses, I am in Slidell--where are you?

I painted one large wall Tree Moss, and I think it might be it. I still like Saybrook Sage--it is about the same intensity, but its blue undertones add a different feel, although I'm worried about the blue matching to other colors. I am still hesitant to pull the trigger since this is a large room and I don't want to have to repaint. I'll take a picture in the morning and post it for ya'lls opinions.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I'm in Kenner now, moving to Destrehan.

• cursivesailor
    15 years ago

I am a NOLA kid too. I am in Mid City right by City Park. And moving building back in Lakeview. I can't wait the contractor said we might be in before Jazz Fest!

I am having trouble picking colors too. I am so overwhelmed right now with the giant Sherwin Williams color chart book thingy. Too many options!

• jockewing
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I painted one entire wall with Tree Moss and I'm thinking it might be it. It is a nice pale green without any strong undertones. What do you think?

I do still like Saybrook Sage, but worry about the blue undertone clashing with other colors. Saybrook is on the wall section on the right side of the door. The left side of the door is SW Grassland (too light), the splotches from top to bottom are Tree Moss, SW Svelte Sage (too dark), and Saybrook Sage:

Here is BM Azores in the kitchen portion of the room. I really like it there, but I guess I'm going to have to go over it with the Tree Moos. If I had the lighting in the living room section like I do in the kitchen, maybe I could do Azores throughout.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

The tree moss looks faded in the photo because I think there is too much light or glare. Are you keeping those curtains? I can't tell from the photo's do they match the paint? Also, is that two coats of paint? That will make a difference in the saturation of the color.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brutuses, the Tree Moss does look darker in real life. The flash is causing that bright look. That is only a single coat of SW sample paint that I had matched. I have found SW sample paint, which only comes in satin, is great. It comes in little plastic cans, and it spreads so easily. One little tiny can can cover a lot of space. When I do finally decide on the color, of course I will get either Duration, Regal, or Aura in a matte finish. The color does go better with the curtains in real life.

Actually, I would really like to paint the curtain rods a deep walnut or espresso, and get some sandy or linen colored drapes with a textured or subtly patterned fabric. I would also like to replace the plantation blinds with bamboo roman shades. Unfortunately, I just bought those curtains from Pier One a few months ago, and the blinds are pretty new as well.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I think your curtains are really beautiful and your idea of painting the curtain rod a dark color is a great one. Tree Moss looks very pretty and that's the color I would pick if it were my choice.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I also would pick the Tree Moss and paint the curtain rod a darker color.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I agree, painting the rods would make a nice difference. I figured it was the flash because I have the color and know it's not that pale looking.

On the finish you get, you might want to get the BM in an eggshell. That's what DH uses and it washes well and glides on easily. It has just a bit of sheen that makes a difference in how it looks.

• Taralyn
    15 years ago

I love Aura paint, won't use anything else now, but - FYI, I would make up a sample in the Aura if you choose it,The matte will look different than the satin anyway and - the BM colors don't always translate exactly in this paint. As hard as you have worked, a slight change of tone would be devastating. Best to be sure before spending the money.

terry

• msrose
    15 years ago

I like the Tree Moss the best, but I'm thinking you still need something a little warmer or with more yellow undertones to go with the curtains.

Laurie

• jockewing
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, after all this time and all these samples, I think I may have finally decided. Believe it or not, the color I like is the same exact color that's been on my bedroom walls for several years now - SW Svelte Sage.

Svelte looks like a neutral green on my bedroom walls, but somehow in the living room, it looks like the color I've been envisioning all along - a muted, sophisticated aqua or sea green. I don't see hardly any blue in the chip, but if there's any blue whatsoever in a color, my living room pulls it out like a vaccuum. I kind of wish the color was a tad bit lighter, but I tried Grassland, the lighter chip on the same strip, and thought it was too light. I also find it amazing how much the color can change. I did a big sample wall without bothering to go all the way to the ceiling and baseboards yesterday. I came back today and finished the edges, and the color looks significantly different just from getting rid of the tan that was still peeking out at the edges. Before I totally commit, I think I'll go buy a quart in the actual paint I plan to use. I was going to try to go with Aura, but since this is a SW paint, and SW is right down the street from me, I thought I'd go with Duration, or Harmony. I want to use a matte finish and still have something that can be wiped off. Any experience with SW's high end paints?

I'll post some pics later this evening for your opinions.