Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy88_gw

Need advice on kitchen window treatments

Wendy88
9 years ago

We have a big window (72x72) at the breakfast area (see pic below) and used to have vertical blinds, which we have got rid of during the kitchen remodel. The tricky thing is that the window frame is flush with the drop-down fur. I need advice on the treatments for this window. Below is what I can think of

1. vertical blinds - I don't really like it, it somehow had that industrial look and feel and not cozy at all. Not to mention it's not too sturdy.

2. horizonal blinds - I like this but to find the right size needs customization which adds up cost. If I go this route, is it possible to have two halves side by side? That size (36x72) would be more readily available. If so, how should we do this? As seen in the picture, the drop-down fur is flush with the top edge of the window frame.

3. roman shade? I haven't used this and my concern is whether it will pile up at the top blocking some light when you roll them up

4. vertical curtains? These seem rare for a kitchen window.

5. anything else?

Thank you so much!

Comments (11)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Do you need privacy? Light control?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Do you have a photo of the entire window and its surroundings? That would really help.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

For me blinds made from the natural grass or jute have always been impressive and sober as well. And the biggest beauty is that they provide privacy with an Eco-friendly theme and come in budget friendly prices.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

There is a lot more information needed here. Most already asked. You said it is your breakfast area..so very informal? Perhaps half window cafe type curtains, if privacy is an issue but you don't want the sun blocked? I would want SOMETHING..as it looks pretty plain and stark as is. Again if we could see the window from the view of the first door a person enters that space it would help immensely.

• Wendy88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I was away on the road for the past few days - the window is pretty big (72 x 72) and is only 1/2 feet over the floor. I do need privacy as my house sits on a slope and the house on the back sort of looks over mine (across two backyards).

I am now debating between vertical blinds versus horizonal blinds - not cozy, I know but easier to maintain hopefully. But my concern is with horizontal blinds, it's going to be pretty wide (72") and will the blinds sag over time?

Is it practical to have two (left and right side) horizontal blinds? But how would I install the blinds (plan to DIY) given there is no divider frame between the two sides and the window frame is metal? Also, will the two sides of the blinds constantly clash into each other?

Thanks!

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

If you google How to hang blinds from ceiling, there are alot of ways.
    Also I see no reason why you could not have two smaller blinds side by side.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I have a couple windows that are 72" wide. They both have faux wood two inch wide horizontal blinds. No sagging, there are supports along the top piece. They've been up for years (at least 10). Purchased at JC Penneys..

ML

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You could actually do a ceiling mounted traverse rod and have pleated drapes hanging on either side of the window...not in the recessed part, but out beyond that ...looks like where the wall is is about 4" away from the window itself. That way when they are open, the window will be completely unobscured, and when they are shut will add protection from the weather and privacy.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

you can drill through metal with the right bits....
    you couldn't hang 2 blinds if you can't drill into the 'ceiling' area of the window....

• Wendy88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all - I like both the faux wood 2" blinds and vertical drapes. WIll check both out. Happy Holidays!