Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arac21

Flooring issue

arac21
10 years ago

We have been slowly updating our house. However not sure what to do with floor. The first floor has marble in the entry powder room leading to the kitchen which has white dingy tiles some are broken. I re grouted but still looks dingy. The rooms have oak floors placed on diagonal except formal living with pink carpet.
The kitchen has gone through a mini renovation and I am gonna keep that but not sure what to do with flooring. I do not want hardwood as its very hard for me to clean for me. If I do tiles shd I remove the marble too ? The marble itself is in somewhat good condition 22 years old, but slippery when I tried to repolish. Not sure what to do but the kitchen broken tiles are very hard to live with. The kitchen btw leads to the garage and the flooring is abt 350 sq ft for the kitchen to garage.

Comments (5)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We went with plank vinyl flooring in our kitchen and it looks nice, is easy to clean soft under foot and good looking. Actually we used it everywhere that we didn't use carpeting. We are very pleased with the result.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Since the marble is slippery, I might be inclined to replace it and simplify the flooring materials.

Be very careful with the prep work for new tile. Make sure you understand why the tiles there cracked and address any possible substrate issues first.

• jamie81
    10 years ago

Annie, any more pictures or info about the plank vinyl? I'm thinking of ripping out some ceramic, and I've wondered about the vinyl. Ceramic is so hard underfoot

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We went with Amtico which is very expensive, requires a very smooth underlayment, but is extremely durable. It is comfortable under foot and easy to clean. I went with them as we were able to customize it to our needs including the compass we put in the foyer floor and the "antique brass" strips we used in our enfilade.

In my craft room, I was looking for soft under foot, esp as it was on top of a concrete floor, durable and easy to clean so we went with flexitec which is a heavily cushioned sheet vinyl product. I really like that too and would see it as a viable less expensive alternative.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

We have vinyl "wood" plank throughout our townhouse and we are very happy with it too. Ours was sold by Lowes but is now discontinued. It is similar to the HD Allure product and inexpensive. Yet many people, including the recent home appraiser who visited for our refinance, had to ask if it was wood! It is easy to tell with bare feet as the feel is different but looking at it or walking on it with shoes it is hard to tell. Yet it's waterproof and practically indestructible.

I prefer a uniform flooring material in a home as much as possible, so I would probably rip out all the tile and replace with either new tile or with vinyl wood plank.

This post was edited by tinan on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 19:15