Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Inside Violet West's house

violetwest
10 years ago

Several of you were kind enough to express an interest in seeing inside. How many pics do you want? (Evil grin)

Just want to say that this is a standard low end type new build in my neck if the woods. 1500 sf; 3 bdrm 2 ba; the smallest thing I could find for this single gal. It's my first ever home of my own bought in my mid fifties and I don't want you to think I have everything. The amount of stuff I still need after a year see is overwhelming sometimes. I need draperies, a rug, and a couch, for instance.

Here's what you see as you walk in the front. The living area is one long open concept room.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 19:26

Comments (27)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here's the view from the other side looking at the front door and the tree I haven't decorated yet.

Someone else chose the finishes. It had oil rubbed bronze on most. I'm not too happy with the paint color although its grown on me a little

Ignore the jumble of tables and stools in the forefront pls

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A corner

(with the lumpy futon/hippie crash pad I can't bear to get rid of because it's soooo comfortable for watching tv. Someday I'll replace it. Someday.)

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 19:19

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitchen. Not fancy but a much nicer and bigger kitchen than I've had. On the plus side the cabinets are solid wood. On the minus many of them are too small to be useable.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can't seem to get a good pic of the whole mbrm-- here's my cozy bedside nook though

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And one more pic of the living area. Thanks for looking!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Violet, I love it. The outside is beautiful too. I enjoyed looking through your pins. What I love most about your home is that it doesn't look cookie cutter or run of the mill. It has character and a lot of warmth. There truly is nothing like your own home. Thanks so much for sharing!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you so much! It's been an adventure, and a joyful one.

• JennaVaNowSC
    10 years ago

Very pretty! It looks very spacious. And I love your accessories!

• User
    10 years ago

Violet, thank you for the pictures! Setting up house is difficult, expensive and time consuming. Whether it's your first house or your fifth---- but it's completely overwhelming when it's your first. Looks like you've made a good start with the basics, and you have some charming and quirky art! I have no doubt you'll find a great rug that will pull it all together as only the right rug can. In fact, you might start a new thread to ask for opinions... The GWers are amazing at coming up with perfect , well priced overstock rugs!

• JennaVaNowSC
    10 years ago

Very pretty! It looks very spacious. And I love your accessories!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it's soo helpful here, and don't worry, I have lots of specific questions. I've already been helped quite a lot--don't want to be a board hog. er, sow.

I consider myself a non-cookie cutter, quirky person, so glad that comes through!

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 19:32

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Isn't it just the best feeling to have your very own home?! I am so happy for you and I think your place is charming, warm, and welcoming. Absolutely wonderful and I wish you lots of joy and laughter there!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Your house looks homey and inviting. My kind of house. Also, you have a black and white cat?!!! They're the best.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes a black and white one ... And a Siamese Birman hybrid too

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I just noticed your ottoman. I love it! The fabric is gorgeous and I love the shape and most of all I adore the tufting.

I can see why the paint color is growing on you. It really makes your room look warm and glowing. Do you happen to know the color? It's lovely.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

no, its some Dunn Edwards standard builder color. It's okay, but too yellow for my taste.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love it. We had our living room painted Jersey Cream and I love the color but I really needed something a bit darker. I like Jersey Cream so much though that I am having my other room painted tomorrow using it.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've had white walls for so many years that this yellowish color throws me. I've had to really adjust my decorating pallette.

I particularly do not like it in my bedroom. Someday i'll paint it . . . another color. What color I have no idea!

This post was edited by Violet.West on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 9:37

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Very nice, violet! It's warm, inviting, and free- spirited. I love it.

• abbey_cny
    10 years ago

cute house! I bought my first house at 50 years old and 12 years later I still have things I want to update/change. Some things I changed when I first moved in i wish I had waited to change. So take your time and enjoy your new house!

Abbey

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Very nice, and cozy too. I think I've told you before how much I like your little table in the living room.

• mzdee
    10 years ago

Awwwww..... I love it. It looks like a home and not a staged magazine spread. You have some very nice pieces. I hope that your house "hugs you" when you wake and when you walk in at the end of the day.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah, no magazine spread for me, lol!

and I rarely want to leave the embrace of my home.

• springroz
    10 years ago

I adore your home! The pictures made me want to come visit. I will help you choose a new paint color, and paint with you, lol!!

Your kitty looks like one of mine....Ricky. Ricky has black spots on his nose, and is very vocal.

Nancy

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Love it!! Very bohemian :-)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just for fun and to thank everyone who's commented here are a couple more pics

Here's one of the main reasons I bought the house: the view

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here are the "messy bits" showing my wire shelving and pantry storage. How I keep my home "orderly." I guess