Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Holiday Decorating With Fruit Tree Limbs/Branches - Any Ideas?

amck2
9 years ago

One of our ornamental pear trees took a big hit from last week's heavy snowstorm. It lost some lower limbs about 2" in diameter.

The branches are lush with leaves and brown berries and I would love to come up with a creative way to incorporate them in my Christmas decorations. Untouched, they would suit Thanksgiving, but I'm wondering if I could spray them with gold and come up with a clever way to display them

I usually keep decor low-key with natural elements - real tree, fresh greenery & white poinsettia plants. Have any of you spray painted real tree limbs? Anything you've seen out there that I could do with these pretty branches?

Comments (7)

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I might worry about the leaves drying and curling up. you could put them in a vase of water, trimming the end an inch every week and they should keep surprisingly long.

Otherwise, you may want to hand them upside down for a week to help dry them, so they don't brown and curl. I would first try a light spray of gold paint, so some of the green still showed. Either by trying to spray just the tips or by holding the stem oblique (flat) and spraying to that the paint misses some of the leaves. you could then sprinkle a little clear glitter on to knock back the gold paint so it isn't so harsh.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I've sprayed apple tree branches in the past, but took all the leaves off first. I was making a Halloween tree decoration with mine. Fresh cut, or even semi-fresh- branches absorb a LOT of paint, so I'd always use a primer first. I didn't and had to spray on many coats to get the look I was hoping for. I agree with Lilylore, though, that you need to take care or the leaves will dry and curl quickly, becoming very brittle, which may not be the look you're hoping for. If you do come up with a happy result, please share it with us here.
    Lynn

• luckygal
    9 years ago

I agree with LynninNM that those branches will likely absorb a lot of paint. Years ago I made a Valentine tree with bare branches which required many cans of spray paint. More recently I painted curly willow branches and used regular house paint applied with gloved hands. Very easy and quick altho one could alternatively use a paint brush.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I have only been able to keep branches for a week or so, and that has been by smashing the ends of the branch with a hammer so they draw up water. But for a month, I think they need some sort of preservative.

Maybe this could worK (scroll down): I have done it with leaves but never a branch.

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-preserve-fall-leaves-and-branches-with-glycerin/

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I used one of the glistening glitter spray paints on some branches one year, but they didn't have leaves or berries. I like the look of the very light glitter, but they also have some heavier glitter spray paints. I think, too, because the glitter sort of sits on top of whatever you spray, you may not have the same absorption issue that you would have with regular paint.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

Somethings look good as the way they are destined to be. As your tree has been hit by a storm which is again a natural calamity so you can place as it is. Its a new art to see how many limbs survived even confronting that severe harshness.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike121, I like that insight and I agree. Over time several trees we planted when we moved here have seen damage from harsh weather. I never consider replacing them, preferring to appreciate their imperfections as signs of survival.

But when we were cleaning up after this last storm I was struck by the beauty of those big branches and couldn't bring myself to just toss them in the woods. I haven't begun Christmas decorating yet - still emptying boxes from our garage from our move back home after a remodel and cleaning up behind 2 wks. of house guests. But I'm keeping the limbs covered from the elements and still hope to come up with an idea.