Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susie100_gw

hot new color for the coming year

susie100
15 years ago

Here's a link to an article about the hot new color of the coming year: Mimosa. It's the new black.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28036994/

Susan

Comments (31)

• caminnc
    15 years ago

WOW, a little of that will go a long way.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Yum! I love it!

• jakabedy
    15 years ago

I'm thinking it is more the new orange. I just went and read the rest of the article and it appears it is, indeed, the new orange. I think I like it.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

it looked like a very bright yellow on my monitor; there's been a lot of golds in the last few years so that yellow doesn't strike me as new, although pretty.

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

**SLAPS FOREHEAD**

Here I was calling my 1970s Harvest Gold counters Moutarde when I should have been calling them Mimosa!

LOL, Lena

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Really now lenam, you know that if one is going to be trendy, one simply must have the color name right! ;-D

I wonder what the new avocado green is......

• mdc08
    15 years ago

Great news since I just painted the main living areas of my new home Benjamin Moore CORK... which is very yellow gold in color. :) Mark that ONE of the things I did right during this construction...haha

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

I wonder what the new avocado green is......
    OLIVE [Or KIWI or LIME PEEL]

Brown = Cinnamon
    Harvest Gold = Dijon (2005), Mimosa (2008)
    Burnt Orange = Terra-cotta
    Avocado = Olive

I tell ya this warms the hearts of all of us procrastinating decorators!

-Lena

• metromom
    15 years ago

wow, the 70s are back!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

I loves me my fall colors....

But not in my appliances! Or furniture. Or walls. Or floors. :-D

Splashes, here & there, yes indeedy :)

Oh wait! I'm going to paint my office walls a gold color! Excuse me, I mean, mimosa!

Dangit, I guess I'm trendy after all. Jumps up & bites you when you least expect it.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

well dang that is the color I picked out to redo my BLUE kitchen that I am sooo tired of. I thought I was picking something unique but now it is trendy

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

Is it a little egg-yolk-looking? Or is it just me...

(but i'd love it nicely chilled in a glass any old time!)

• littledog
    15 years ago

I would have thought Mimosa would be pink, like the flower on the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mimosa in pink

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I'm with you littledog. I thought mimosa flowers were pink? I KNOW the drink is orange/yellow, so I never thought about where the term came from. I guess after a few, I really didn't care!Lol!

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

Mimosa is a genus with many different species and varieties. Some mimosas have yellow flowers, others are pink or red.

I never understood how ROSE could refer to a single color:

-Lena

• teacats
    15 years ago

Fascinating!

Yes -- those 70s way-too-cool-and-totally-organic colors are back!

Just re-painted my deep dark gold dining room to deep dark olive/dark green ...... hmmmmmmm ......

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Oh, teacats, you know how it is, mimosa today, olive drab tomorrow... you're just setting the next trend, LOL!

We had a Mimosa tree in the yard of my childhood home... blossoms were pink.

I had several Mimosas while I was tearing out wallpaper out of my kitchen on Sunday. They were yellow/gold ;-)

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Oh, teacats, you know how it is, mimosa today, olive drab tomorrow... you're just setting the next trend, LOL!

We had a Mimosa tree in the yard of my childhood home... blossoms were pink.

I had several Mimosas while I was tearing out wallpaper out of my kitchen on Sunday. They were yellow/gold ;-)

• alex9179
    15 years ago

New? I painted my front room in our old house something similar in 2001. I said on another thread that I was either hopelessly behind current fashion or years ahead LOL!

• susieq07
    15 years ago

What's old is new again always and forever! or what goes around comes around eventually...sometimes you just need to learn to say NO........

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Sorry alex - I see yer mimosa....I see yer cinnamon....I see yer terra cotta......but it looks to me like your missing the essential finishing touch of olive. Perhaps a nice area rug?

;-)

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

Perhaps a nice area rug?

I'm thinking nice wall-to-wall olive carpeting, maybe sculpted shag, err FRIESE ?

(Too bad it is your old house. I do like the colors!)

-Lena

• alex9179
    15 years ago

You can't see the pillow on the couch, but it has the olive in it :)
    I guess the plant doesn't count, huh? LOL!

Ooh! I had drab green on the area rug just off camera view.

I guess my new living room colors of gray, orange, and yellow will be hot in another 7 years.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Oh, now I'm really out. I have cobalt blue and red - but still love it.

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

So now I am sorry that I threw out the rug from my first apartment thirty-seven years ago...it was a long, scraggly shag in about four shades of olive-y green. Oh, but I was so bohemian in those days! After about three years it looked more like a dead dog than a rug....
    Eeee-yipes!
    But that Mimosa looks really very South of France, doesn't it?...or even Georgian...put it on the parlor walls in an historic house in Britain with huge portraits of vaguely miltary looking ancestors and a slew of blue-and-white Chinese export porcelain, and you're the Queen of England!

• robin_DC
    15 years ago

Good; then I guess my harvest colors are coming back in style. That's actually simlar to my dining room and kitchen paint color (except that we have so much light that it looks like a more muted yellow, and the mustardy color only comes through in the hallway in the afternoon shadows). I thought the current trends were towards cooler colors like gray and blue, etc., and that my color scheme was too 'early 2000s.' Shows what I know. ;-)

• littledog
    15 years ago

"You can't see the pillow on the couch, but it has the olive in it :)
    I guess the plant doesn't count, huh? LOL! "

Only if it's dying, then you should be able to get the proper yellow tones to call it olive.

"A plant is only worth growing if it looks good when it's dead." - Piet Oudolf

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Robindc, Me, too!! I just painted my kitchen an olivey green - my 4th kitchen in over 10 years to be that color!! I have always love autumn colors & had a hard time painting my kitchen the SAME color again!! I even had custom drapes in a gorgeous french country pattern with roosters & all but it just wasn't me - looks great in my MIL's kitchen, thou.

I was so excited to hear Teacats say she was painting an olive color too. All I am seeing in mags & blogs is whites, blues, & grays - love it but not me or practical for me.

I guess DH shouldn't have painted the avocado green refrigerator black in his garage!!
    Smiles:)

• lizzie_grow
    15 years ago

We have been able to delegate a lower level room that has one window which faces west, to a small home gym. It's kind of a blank slate with white (sort of ivory) trim, white closet doors and beige carpet with a hint of taupe in it, I think.

Anyway, I cannot decide on a color that would on one hand be restful, but also inspiring, if that makes sense! The hallway outside the room is a sage green, but I can really use any color.

Ideas?!!!

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

Lizzie Grow, you may want to reask this question in a new thread. (include a photo if you can!). The only color anyone here will recommend is that great new shade Mimosa.

LOL, Lena

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

Sorry Lizzie Grow,
    I see you already did start a new thread!

-L