Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nini804

Will this work? Furniture placement

nini804
10 years ago

Hi! I was wondering if you design folks knew if there was "rule" regarding the minimum size of a foyer to place a center table. Our foyer is 8' wide, but very open. The ceiling is 19', and there is an open stair case on one side, and the very wide cased opening on the other side to the dining room (almost 6'.) It leads to an open 4' wide gallery hall and beyond is our fairly open living room. I found an absolutely gorgeous center able from the William Yeoward collection for Jonathan Charles that is 36" in diameter. We cut a piece of paper that size and it seems fine to walk past...I just don't want to commit an expensive error! Any thoughts?

Here is space, taken from hall (obviously we would be removing that small console table.)

Comments (18)

• nini804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the table

• springroz
    10 years ago

Is it going to be in the doorway there? Or more toward the photo vantage point?

I like the table, and I think it will look beautiful in the entry. Very pretty!

Nancy

• nini804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It will be centered on that cased opening, sort of right under the light fixture.
    Thanks!

• roarah
    10 years ago

Do you have a 36inch side or patio table you can try out in the space to see how it works with your traffic flow. Nice entry and it is a lovely table just not show if it will impose upon traffic flow too much.

• nini804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We don't have a table that size, we did cut out a 36" circle and place it in the space. It didn't seem to impede traffic. My dh pointed out that the base of the table, the part that touches the floor, is much smaller than 36". He thinks it will be more than fine, visually and practically. There is plenty of room still on the door side of where the table will be for guests to stand and chat before coming all the way in. I am just being a nervous nelly because it is quite a splurge for a non-functional furniture piece! :)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I suspect it will be fine, but I would want to test the paper circle at the height the table will be, not on the floor.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Can you cut a piece of cardboard to size and place it on top of an existing table to give you an idea of size? Work around it for a day or two and see if it impedes traffic flow?

The house and the table are lovely!

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 21:53

• bpath
    10 years ago

An 8' space, the table is 3' in diameter, leaving 2.5' around it for passage. And putting the template on the floor is not the same as skirting your hips and shoulders around something higher. Like kellienoelle suggested, stack up some boxes or move that small console table out, put the template on top, and see how it goes for several days (especially if kids will be going through it with backpacks on when school is back in session).

• nini804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a really smart idea, greywings, kellienoelle, and bpathome! We will put the template on cardboard and stack it up (I think it is 31 3/4 " tall.)

• romy718
    10 years ago

Nini, your foyer is lovely. Can you share the source of your foyer light fixture?

• theclose
    10 years ago

Love the table and entryway! I hope it works out because I think it will look stunning. We have always wanted a round table in an entry. Just need to get the entry!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I think it works because of the open doorway to the right of the foyer, which makes it seem wider than the 8' it is.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think to get a good idea of how the table would work and look it would be helpful to see the view from the other side (as if you were coming in from the front door).

You have a stunning entry! The table is beautiful as well. I look forward to seeing more of your home!

Amy

• bpath
    10 years ago

What about a large demilune table in place of the console? It would echo the arch in the beautiful front door, fill the space a little more but not as much as a center table, and look great from the dining room.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think your entry might be a bit too narrow for a center table... and, if you entertain alot, it might really drive you crazy!

is there a seam in the center of the table, or is that just the photo? if there is (tho i can't imagine there would be one!) that would be a very big distraction for a centerpiece!
    but, if the tabletop is solid, it would be lovely as an entry table!

• sas95
    10 years ago

Our entryway is a foot or two wider than yours and even more open, and I would find a 36" table in the center a huge nuisance. I agree with the idea of finding a great rug and keeping the console where it is.

• nini804
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and ideas! Romy, the fixture is from Maxim Lighting, it is the "Southern eight-light cage" fixture. You can't see it all in the photo...it is really big!

Busybee, the top is marble, so there is veining but no seam. It is really such a lovely thing...I think that is why I want it to work so badly! :)

Ogoopogo, I go back and forth about a big lovely rug...I know it would look great, but I really just love looking at the wood floors with the light coming in through the doors! That small 4 x 6 oriental is an old family piece that I just stuck there for wet shoe purposes!

Oh, and that rug is a helpful guide...it is 6', so the width of the table would be 1/2 of that rug.

Bpathome, a demilune table would be so nice there if we can't make this work...the current table is another old family piece that I don't have a particular attachment to.

Here is the view from standing in the foyer....see how open it is? That is why we think it may work...plus it might be nice to have a bit more separation b/w the living room and the front door. (This pic is from right after we moved in...sofa has been recovered and there is a French arm chair in the far left.)

• geokid
    10 years ago

Yes, I think it would be lovely. Similar to this.