Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiedoll_gw

can someone please help me ? stain on butcher block

dixiedoll
11 years ago

I need some help. If I am in the wrong forum please advise.
My husband has a custom butcher block (over 500 lbs.) and today I noticed a tomato sitting there on the butcher block.
when I picked it up the bottom was black and there of course
is a black stain on the butcher block where the tomato was.
I have tried making a rub of kosher salt, lemon juice and rubbing. After that I put baking powder on the previous mix to no avail. It won't budge . is there anything else I could try? DH is out of town right now but i am going to be
in hot water for sure. this block is his pride and joy. please someone out there take pity on me!
any ideas would be appreciated!
dixie

Comments (5)

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

If you google 'removing stains from burcher block' there are a number of things you can try, including what you've already done which they say to leave on overnight. There are other remedies for you to check out, too.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

you might try a dab of hydrogen peroxide, watch it closely and rinse when the stain is lifted. finish with whatever oil he uses on it to restore the finish.

This post was edited by olychick on Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 20:11

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Is this an oiled finish type of butcher block? if so, then worst case you can sand it lightly with a very fine grit sandpaper in the direction of the grain, and then re oil.

Before that I would try baking soda and lemon juice with a green scrubby. Then leave it sit for 15 minutes or so.

I have oiled butcherblock, and the only thing I have ever had to sand out was Sharpie. I have removed wine, berries, and other food stains with the baking soda and lemon juice, or white vinegar. Also try regular table salt (finer grit than sea salt) with vinegar or lemon juice. Then touch up with oil.

Butcherblocks are made to be used, so this type of thing happens from time to time.

• madeyna
    11 years ago

I,m not sure what the finish is on yours so do at your own risk but I used Soft scrub with the bleach in it for blackberry stains . I know it does,t make any sence but it seems like the stains come up out of the wood and after a week or two disappear with the normal daily cleanings.

• Tristine Burnside
    3 years ago

I think I have the solution.

1. Go to Sally's beauty supply and purchase hair bleach.

2. Purchase the highest developer 20 volume 30 volume 40 volume , 40 volume being the best

3. Mix the 2 ingredients together to for a paste.

4. Spray the area of stain on butcherblock with water, then paint on bleach paste.

5. Place tin foil over the paste and let it sit.

6. Check every 15 minutes to see how it lifts. Keep doing this every hours.

7. If you need lighter the make new formula and repeat.

We do this in the salon when the stylist chairs get color on them. It removes the color stain really well. Dont be afraid to try. Your just trying to lift the dark part....

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio