Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can someone please help me ? stain on butcher block

Posted by dixiedoll (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 18:12

I need some help. If I am in the wrong forum please advise.
My husband has a custom butcher block (over 500 lbs.) and today I noticed a tomato sitting there on the butcher block.
when I picked it up the bottom was black and there of course
is a black stain on the butcher block where the tomato was.
I have tried making a rub of kosher salt, lemon juice and rubbing. After that I put baking powder on the previous mix to no avail. It won't budge . is there anything else I could try? DH is out of town right now but i am going to be
in hot water for sure. this block is his pride and joy. please someone out there take pity on me!
any ideas would be appreciated!
dixie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can someone please help me ? stain on butcher block

If you google 'removing stains from burcher block' there are a number of things you can try, including what you've already done which they say to leave on overnight. There are other remedies for you to check out, too.

o

you might try a dab of hydrogen peroxide, watch it closely and rinse when the stain is lifted. finish with whatever oil he uses on it to restore the finish.

This post was edited by olychick on Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 20:11

o

Is this an oiled finish type of butcher block? if so, then worst case you can sand it lightly with a very fine grit sandpaper in the direction of the grain, and then re oil.

Before that I would try baking soda and lemon juice with a green scrubby. Then leave it sit for 15 minutes or so.

I have oiled butcherblock, and the only thing I have ever had to sand out was Sharpie. I have removed wine, berries, and other food stains with the baking soda and lemon juice, or white vinegar. Also try regular table salt (finer grit than sea salt) with vinegar or lemon juice. Then touch up with oil.

Butcherblocks are made to be used, so this type of thing happens from time to time.

o

I,m not sure what the finish is on yours so do at your own risk but I used Soft scrub with the bleach in it for blackberry stains . I know it does,t make any sence but it seems like the stains come up out of the wood and after a week or two disappear with the normal daily cleanings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here