Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitasei

insulated shades - how perfect must they fit?

kitasei
10 years ago

The honeycomb shades I just installed don't fit perfectly (I did the measuring..) Does the small gap on either side cancel out their insulation value?

I also learned another problem with these shades - they don't allow any breeze in the summer! What window covering would be better to have insulation and privacy?

Comments (4)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The closer the fit, the better the insulation. But what you want is as little cold air infiltration as possible. That means that anything that will block the cold in the winter will also block the breeze in the summer. If it allows the breeze, like venetian blinds, it won't be a good insulator in the winter. Such is life.

• camlan
    10 years ago

If the shades are inside mount, then they will be slightly smaller than the window opening, but they should only be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch smaller on each side. They will still provide a lot of insulation.

For summer, when you want to block the heat of the sun from coming in, they will be a big help. In my experience, if it's hot enough to need the windows insulated from the sun, opening the windows to let the breeze in does not cool the house down. You might consider keeping the windows and shades closed and using fans to provide a breeze.

If you want to have the windows open and still have privacy and a breeze, you'll need to add something like sheers or panels to the windows. Or shutters, with vanes that can open and close.

• kitasei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for reassuring me that I didn't waste money on the insulation side. I will add sheers for a privacy option in the summer. Now I have to decide what to do about four very large (106") three-panel sliders that surround a courtyard and form the front of the house. I was thinking the same honeycomb shades, but now I'm not so sure. It will be very expensive to do them PLUS sheers, but I will definitely need the breeze in the summer. The shades have to be outside mounts. What is the hardware for the sheers and where does it mount? Sounds like a messy proposition, and also wondering how realistic it is to pull sheers that wide across such an expanse.. Any more suggestions??

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

For sliders there are the dreaded vertical blinds. Depending on how tightly they shut, they may provide some insulation and then open for some breeze while maintaining some privacy.

Sheers provide privacy but will block the breeze unless they are of a very open weave. But then that undoes the insulation factor.

You could apply window film for privacy which is inexpensive. But once you open the window, the privacy goes with it.

If I were you, I'd go to a window treatment store and talk to the people there about all your options.