Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett2001

Black granite question

scarlett2001
9 years ago

I'm thinking of doing my kitchen in black and white but wondering if black granite counters will show every spot and dust particle. Who out there has black granite and how do you like it?
TIA

Comments (34)

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I have it and the answer is yes and yes! Wouldn't do it again.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I had Absolute Black countertops once for about 7 years. The first 4 years, we used the house as a vacation house, then it became our primary house. I loved the black granite. When it was our vacation house, the countertops needed dusting whenever we got there. But when I lived with it on a day to day basis, getting wiped down on a daily basis was sufficient.

I would have gotten black again, but my former kitchen was small and didn't have much light.

• partst
    9 years ago

Not in my kitchen but I have honed absolute black on a raised fireplace hearth in the living room. LetâÂÂs just say you donâÂÂt want to look that way when the morning sun comes up even if you have just dusted it the day before. I love it but it shows every speck needs dusting several times a week. I canâÂÂt imagine if it was polished it would be much worse.

I have white fantasy quartzite in my kitchen it doesnâÂÂt show a thing you have to get down look sideways to even see if itâÂÂs dusty and run your hand across it to feel any spills.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My sister complains that it shows water streaks from wiping it with a sponge, so she's constantly using a polish.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

We have a black and white kitchen and went with a mottled black and white granite. I've never had solid black but several friends do and, even though I'd never say anything to them, I notice the dust and streaks when visiting and I thank the heavens I didn't do black.

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

I have a leathered Via Lactea granite (milky way) which is very forgiving. Looks a little like a soapstone. So far so good!

• User
    9 years ago

We have black granite in our laundry room with a large window and it is fine, occasionally it looks dusty but isn't that a good thing? My opinion is that you don't really want a surface that hides dirt or dust in a kitchen.....if it is dirty or dusty it should be cleaned, especially before use. We have mahogany blue eyes granite from Norway in our kitchen and it shows NOTHING, therefore I wipe down every surface before cooking because I don't know what is there. Dirt-hiding colors and patterns are not suitable in the kitchen for that reason, IMO. I haven't changed our counters because I am tired of stone, don't like the look of quartzite or similar products in my kitchen, afraid stainless will be too cold and wood will be too high maintenance.....

• kelpmermaid
    9 years ago

My counters are black granite, installed by the previous owner. Honestly, it's like having a black car - everything shows, even water spots. When it's wiped down, it looks great, though. A mixed endorsement here.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

The problem with it is after you wipe it down to clean it, you have to then buff it to get the cleaner's film off or else it looks like a smeary mess.

• User
    9 years ago

We clean our black granite in the laundry room with an all purpose cleaner with vinegar....no streaks, no film.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We had something called "Nordic Antique Black" in our previous home and it was much much more forgiving than Absokute Black, whether shiny or honed. I loved that stone - as close to soapstone as I could get without the patina issues that my husband couldn't abide. I used to stand in front of it caressing it. General cleaning was with an all-purpose cleaner with vinegar, but when I wanted it to look really good, I would buff it with a dry microfiber cloth.

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

Contrary to comments from others, our installer said NEVER to use acid cleaners on granite - such as vinegar or ammonia. Have followed their advice without ever an issue. I simply clean with soapy cloth, then rinse and dry. I re-seal the surface whenever water no longer beads - every couple months with a spray granite sealer and polish with microfiber, only takes a few minutes.

Sure, dust will show (think black car) so wiping the corners regularly is necessary. Our granite was called Cathedral Black, has some definition in the coloration so we don't observe water spotting. Good luck with your selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Granite

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I will add to the chorus regarding gloss absolute black granite -- it does show dust, waterspots, and everything. Day to day on active work surfaces, that may not be as big of an issue, as long as you don't mind buffing out water spots and smears that will inevitably show. It will simply take longer to wipe down and cleanup than other surfaces. It's a bit of a nightmare, however, in a 2nd home (as mentioned above) and on non-work surfaces.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

You seal your granite every couple of MONTHS? I re-sealed mine once in the 7 or 8 years I lived there.

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

Shockeyfan- I guess I'm anal. But I'm retired and cook and bake lots so the counters are being cleaned lots. Just don't wish them to lose their sealed surface

• zippity1
    9 years ago

we have leathered absolute black granite on most of our countertops (maple butcherblock in a couple of spots)
    the leathered ab is absolutely terrific
    our cabinet builders, gc, the flooring people and everyone who comes in remarks on how forgiving they are
    you do have to keep them clean but they are easy easy to clean and very nice looking
    absolute black polished is wretched to keep......

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I have polished absolute black granite in the kitchen, installed 18 years ago. Wipes clean in seconds with windex and a paper towel, have never needed to reseal it. Love it.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

We have verde labrador granite, which looks black but has flecks of white, tan, gray. It never needs sealing and it cleans up beautifully. I use the Method granite cleaner. We have never regretted our decision for one second! Still love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Verde labrador

• User
    9 years ago

Vinegar based cleaner has been used on our polished (not honed) counters since 2003 with no change in the surface shine and it has never been sealed. I've heard many different instructions about granite care......there have to be as many opinions as there are colors and patterns of it :-)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I've heard guys argue that all the real Absolute Black granite is gone and only the dyed imitation remains. Here's something to look out for:

Here is a link that might be useful: Edges

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I've heard guys argue that all the real Absolute Black granite is gone and only the dyed imitation remains. Here's something to look out for:

Here is a link that might be useful: Edges

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Not black, but we had Tropical Brown in our last home.

I found that Cinch did the job for those dark counter tops. When I cleaned with any other product, the granite would remain streaky. With Cinch and a paper towel, the granite was always sparkling. Microfiber was not big back then, or I would have used a Norwex Window Cloth in addition to the cleaner. I use the cloth and Cinch on my lighter granite, today.

Look how shiny! See the reflection of the cook top knobs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Norwex Window Cloth

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I use my alcohol and water (with lavender oil) spray and a microfiber cloth to clean our Labrador Golden Flake counters (soft black granite with silvery mica and bronze shimmer throughout). No smears. Crumbs and spills need to be wiped off the counters, no matter what the color, so it doesn't really annoy me if they show (DH leaving the crumbs and spills, especially right after I've finished wiping the counters, that's another story!).

The only thing that really bugs me is hand or fingerprints all over the counters after people have stood around with their hands pressed on the granite. Don't know why, but seeing people standing like that, and seeing those smudgey prints just bugs me.

• kachinee
    9 years ago

Many granites are naturally dense, non-absorbent and cannot be sealed. If a sealer is applied it just sits on top, does not absorb and will leave a hazy residue.

"Some dark granites (especially blacks and greens) are very dense and if a sealer is applied, it just sits on the top and can noticeably dull the appearance. If this happens, the granite sealer must be stripped and possibly the surface re-polished... an expensive pain."

http://www.countertopspecialty.com/sealing-granite-countertops.html

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I've never heard anyone argue that acidic based cleaners are ok/good for granite :o The darker/denser colors may not be AS affected by it than lighter colors but it's still not advisable. Soapy water will build up and the counter will become dull. It will be a slow gradual thing so you probably won't notice it for a long time (depending on how well you rinse). Takes a lot of rinsing to remove soap film. I use the "homebrew" I learned about on the Kitchen forum 12 years ago....50/50 water/alcohol, followed by a buffing with a microfiber cloth. I have one of those granites that show NOTHING. You have to either feel or get eye level with the counter to see anything. Black granite, like a black stovetop, car, pair of pants or anything else black shows EVERYthing! I do have the most beautiful Black Galaxy (my granite guru found some primo tile bless his heart!) cut in 4" wide staggering lengths. It covers the rounded (key hole shape) kitchen peninsula. No dust,that I can see, settles on it but I'll be darned if those too cute grandbabies of mine can find a way to get their grubby fingerprints on it! That's ok. They're cute grubby finger prints (g)

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I've never heard anyone argue that acidic based cleaners are ok/good for granite :o The darker/denser colors may not be AS affected by it than lighter colors but it's still not advisable. Soapy water will build up and the counter will become dull. It will be a slow gradual thing so you probably won't notice it for a long time (depending on how well you rinse). Takes a lot of rinsing to remove soap film. I use the "homebrew" I learned about on the Kitchen forum 12 years ago....50/50 water/alcohol, followed by a buffing with a microfiber cloth. I have one of those granites that show NOTHING. You have to either feel or get eye level with the counter to see anything. Black granite, like a black stovetop, car, pair of pants or anything else black shows EVERYthing! I do have the most beautiful Black Galaxy (my granite guru found some primo tile bless his heart!) cut in 4" wide staggering lengths. It covers the rounded (key hole shape) kitchen peninsula. No dust,that I can see, settles on it but I'll be darned if those too cute grandbabies of mine can find a way to get their grubby fingerprints on it! That's ok. They're cute grubby finger prints (g)

• three3apples
    9 years ago

We have leathered absolute black and it is great. It shows dust, but it's not a serious problem because I keep it very clean. I've never had a spot or streak. Hope that helps.

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

Mine shows streaks after wiping it down. It's beautiful when it's newly polished but I certainly wouldn't bother with a black granite again, even though it's one of the few granites that doesn't look overly busy to me. I can take or leave granite--there are many other impressive choices like quartz, for example. Our countertop was already in the home when we purchased it and although it goes perfectly with the rest of the kitchen, I would have made more informed choices had I decided to spend the money to redo a kitchen or install a countertop. But that's how I am and I am usually very happy with my choices. You are smart to get feedback before you make your decision.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I have Black Absolute in all 3 bathrooms, but since it's just myself and olest adult DD at the moment, the vanity tops don't get the 'real' use as a home with kids. They do clean up nicely, but with just the 2 of us, it's usually nothing more than water or a bit of toothpaste.

If you have hard water, that could become an issue. That's the biggest problem I can forsee.

• gmp3
    9 years ago

I have polished dark granite in my kitchen installed by P.O.s and I hate it, it shows everything.

In one of the baths I have leathered black and it is pretty good, the only thing that shows in toothpaste.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I have black galaxy in the kitchen and one bathroom and can,t imagine not having it. Its wonderful. I cook three meals a day almost everyday totally from scratch . So I cann,t imagine counters ever getting dusty they are wiped down after every meal. I use a week ammonia solution so I don,t get streaks. As a disclaimer though I have to say I do alot of my food prep on the island and its butcher block.

• Pieonear
    9 years ago

I would never have black again . EVER!

• rpets
    9 years ago

Have cosmic black in a leathered finish and I love it, looks clean, no spots.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

A matte finish will always hide spots, dust, etc better than a shiny black. But still show more stuff than other colors or combination of colors. And there's always the fact that some people perceive "messes" differently than others :)