Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crescent50

Texas Leather for a Family Room

crescent50
14 years ago

Wondering what anyone thinks of painting a family room in a dark color? Every time I show people the color I want, they comment that it is VERY dark.

I don't know how to upload a sample from the BM site, but I think it is such a warm and inviting color.

We are building a new house with a large family room. The room is 24x18 1/2 and will have a coffered ceiling (15 feet).

The back wall of the room is essentially all windows with a window seat below.

The front wall will have a fireplace and built in book shelves with windows above.

One side of the room will have a 6 foot french pocket door opening to the kitchen and the other side will have a doorway to the mud room.

All of the trim will be white. I am hoping that the abundance of natural light as well as the white trim will make the room bright enough yet still cozy despite the dark color.

What do you all think? I thought I was confident in this decision but the reactions of others is making me question myself?!

Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thanks so much.

Comments (11)

• sweeby
    14 years ago

My husband thought I was nuts when I suggested painting his office a deep dark olivey green. I had read somewhere that when a room had a really strange shape, a really dark paint helps camoflouge it. Well, that's the room everyone says "Wow! What a fabulous color!" about. It's cozy, warm, masculine and inviting, and the furnishings really 'pop' against the dark background. The color is pretty close to this (Ellen Kennon's Kennon Ivy)

I Googled BM Texas Leather, and this is what came up:

• User
    14 years ago

Sounds stunning. With lots of white trim, lots of windows and the right furnishigs it will look fantastic. I look forward to seeing it. What type and color flooring are you thinking of?

• denali2007
    14 years ago

I think you should go for it. Don't show anyone the color until you paint it. Every time someone sees a color that isn't pastel looking their comment is it's so dark. Well, so what. I love dark colors in rooms. I think your room will be beautiful. I recently painted my dining room BM honeymoon and then painted the ceiling BM Tumeric which is "dark" I only have 8 ft ceilings. I get more compliments on that room. Like I said go for it.

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sweeby- thanks so much for the picture! WOW was exactly what I thought when I first visualized it and imagined it popping against the furniture and wood work.

Your office color looks amazing. Something about a dark color seems so inviting to me!

Roseabbey- We are planning on 3'' hardwood floors in a medium to dark color.

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

denali- Funny you should say that! The same thing happened in our old house when I wanted to paint our small living room maple spice (dark red). Even our realtor gave me a funny look but that was always the room I got the most compliments on!

Thanks for the encouragement ladies- I really think that I am going to go for it!

I know it is just paint but it seems like a big decision since I really think it will become the the real hub of our new house and I want it to be special :)

• denali2007
    14 years ago

We will need pictures when you finish!!!!!!

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boy am I bummed!

I finally get up the nerve to post after months of lurking and the posts are lost.

Thanks for all the votes of confidence on the dark color.
    I am way too early for photo shopping but our new build has been 2 + years with another 6 (hopefully) months to go so I have had lots of time to dream and visualize this space.

I have a bunch of inspiration pictures in files but can't seem to upload them.

I am picturing dark walls with lots of white trim and natural light.

For furniture, we are looking at a brown leather sectional with nail head trim (benjamin by thomasville) and 2 chairs in the tv section of the room.
    I would like a large area rug in browns/reds and blues to anchor this space.

For the back 1/2 of the room, we are planning a window seat and I would like to do a small game table and reading chair on either side of the windows.
    I think an additional smaller area rug would be good on this side too.

If anyone has any pictures or ideas and suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
    I feel like I have learned so much on this forum and am looking forward to participating and hearing your opinions.

Back Window Wall
    -the covered section of the windows will be a set of transoms

The Front Wall with Fireplace and Built In Shelves
    - depending on how high the mantle and bookshelves are, there will be windows above or beside the fireplace.

Thanks again for any help!

• gigi7
    14 years ago

My husband's office is Texas Leather and it's gorgeous! He loves it and clients comment on it all the time. With white woodwork, it's stunning! Don't be afraid of the color depth....it looks amazing!

• elizgonz
    14 years ago

I thought I posted this already, but I must not have hit submit.

I thought of you when I was looking through a design blog that I enjoy reading. The color is not BM Texas Leather, which I am about to use on some built-ins, but it is dark and it is a family room. Scroll down for before and after shots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Isabella & Max Rooms family room

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you elizgonz- I love the look of that room and especially all of the natural light. The white trim really pops!

Speaking of natural light, does anyone have any experience with using 3M window tinting products?
    I am thrilled to have so much light but for privacy sake and television viewing, I am wondering whether this would be a good option.

Of course, we will have window treatments but I want to enjoy the view as much as possible without always having to close the blinds or curtains.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

BM Texas Leather reminds me a bit of the Ellen Kennon Chestnut I used in a family room . Don't freak out when you start painting the walls - it looks so dark in contrast against the white walls. But once the walls are covered and with 2 coats of paint, the room will be warm and inviting.