Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

A "NON-basket" basket for throw blankets

Sueb20
9 years ago

We usually have 2 throw blankets that get used on a regular basis in the living room, which is where we watch TV and hang out. The blankets get thrown across the top of the sofa and chair sometimes, or just left on the seat, and my OCD side doesn't like the way it looks. Once upon a time, we had a nice round basket by the fireplace and that was where I tossed the throws when I wanted to neaten things up. However, we have a dog who likes to chew baskets, so I can't do that any more. So I'm looking for an UNbasket, basket-ish receptacle.

I have looked up fireplace log buckets, thinking something like that could work, but haven't found one that I actually like.

I saw this guy at Pottery Barn, but really? $100? But so far, this seems to come closest to what I want.

Suggestions? Decor in this room is definitely sort of eclectic, with dark woods, warm colors, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: PB wood basket

Comments (53)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

get a basket you like and spray bitter apple on it. Dog won't chew it.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I use a smallish, woven wicker, round-topped chest (much like the one posted below) to store mine in. I bought it at Hobby Lobby and used one of their 40% off coupons for it. They may have some that have more metal on them to deter your dogs, if that would work better. I like having a top on mine to keep out dust and dog drool (LOL).
    Lynn

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I have a giant galvanized tub for holding magazines, I love it.
    Tractor Supply Company.
    Behrns, many sizes available. All cheap, but very sturdy.

This post was edited by Bumblebeez on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 19:09

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Homegoods usually carries a lot of nice large baskets (sometimes wire, wood, etc.). Good prices. I use them for holiday gift baskets.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Found this with the Container Store and 'only' $30.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Store

• teeda
    9 years ago

How about this half-barrel planter from Home Depot?
    You could give it a coat of poly/stain mix if it looks too rustic for your space.

Here is a link that might be useful: $39 wood half-barrel planter

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A covered ottoman -- ha, we actually have that. But while I'm OCD I'm also lazy and I hate taking the cover off it (it's fairly heavy -- leather and wood -- requires two hands to lift it off). I just want to be able to heave the blankets into an open container. Home Goods! Why didn't I think of that! I'm going there tomorrow.

We also have a basket in another room for my daughter's backpack and gym bag, and for some reason the dog doesn't bother that basket and I think it's because it's very tightly woven. So if I can find a similar basket, that might work.

I'm also having a hard time figuring out the size I need -- some of these baskets/tubs are 24-25" which is probably too big. If I can see some candidates in person at HG, that will be helpful.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

sue, if you get a basket and the dog chews it, just get a bottle of Bitter Apple at the pet store. Dogs won't go near the stuff. They hate it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bitter Apple

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Ummmm...Not all dogs hate it. I have sprayed and sprayed it on my shoes, ankles and various objects. My Nola seems to enjoy the taste. She likes lotions, also.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have Bitter Apple spray. Maybe it only works if you can sit by the object and spray it hourly, but I can spray something one day and the next day, she'll chew happily. She's a perfect dog in almost all ways, but she has an addiction to wicker and certain woods, combined with separation anxiety. We crate her at night and when we leave the house, but I think she must chew things when I'm in the shower or something, because she still manages to damage things and we NEVER see her do it. So annoying. We have a corner where she's chewed the baseboard molding multiple times, and the front legs of an antique rocking chair...doesn't seem to have a taste for the junky furniture!

• JennaVaNowSC
    9 years ago

Saw a basket similar to the pix you posted at tues morn. 25 dollars varying sizes. Mine is not as as open and a little larger.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I happen to have a dog who LOVES bitter apple, found that out the hard way.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Bitter Apple: it works wonderfully on my Tibetan Spaniel, who took a liking to our inlaid, Syrian game table. But, it sadly didn't deter our late, dobie Turk who thought anything he could manage to get into his mouth was fair game. I nursed him through 32 partial intestinal obstructions, 2 total intestinal obstructions, 2 major surgeries to save his life after the total obstructions, and the loss of a total of 18-inches of necrosed (dead ) intestines before we lost him to total obstruction #3. my heart goes out to you, Sue, and everyone who has dogs that eat/chew on dangerous things to them! I hope that you can find something your dog won't chew on.

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

Great thread - I have to throws that get used just like yours. I like the idea of throwing them into a basket. Thanks!

• bestyears
    9 years ago

I like this one, though I might take the liner out.

Here is a link that might be useful: World Market Metal Basket

• breenthumb
    9 years ago

A neighbor clued me in to the bitter apple secret (for those pets who seam to like it): Smear some on the pets nose. It's not harmful but they will avoid it in the future.

We have an antique trunk in the FR that houses CDs and "things". Sometimes those things are blankets, and sometimes they just get folded on top.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I got this at Target. I saw it there recently. I think it is to hold ice and drinks. Not sure. I think it could work perfectly or maybe something similar.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is another 30.00 option from target.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kindling holder

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I saw that exact thing at Target yesterday but they had just one, and it was all scratched up. And I wondered if those ropey handles might be tempting to you-know-who.

I like the World Market metal basket for its color but I wonder if it might be too short (12"). I am off to HoGo in a couple of hours and maybe will find something along those lines. Sometimes they have those Asian/antique looking buckets...something like that could also work, maybe.

Always helpful to think through the possibilities with you folks!

Lynn, OMG, you poor thing (and poor dog!). I feel your pain. Ours ate part of a Nylabone once (no more Nylabones!) and had to be hospitalized overnight, IV fluids, etc...until finally our vet, uh, stuck his finger up her bum and fished out the little plastic piece that caused so much trouble. She has to be watched whenever she's out in the yard, too, because she will eat sticks and has been known to also eat poop (she sounds like an absolute joy, doesn't she?) but I think we have broken her of that particular nasty habit.

But just look at her. You can't be mad at this face. ("Bad girl" is on the left.)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

These colors might be wrong for you, but we bought a bunch of these for the beach house and we love them. Very lightweight, nothing snags on them, and i love the look. They come in other colors too.

HoGo, where else?

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Precious dogs, Sue. :) They look so innocent, too! haha

Sticks... What's wrong with sticks?

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 9:23

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Hmmmmâ¦I've never seen Bitter Apple not work. However, I do know that some dogs, when they want something, nothing stops them.

Sue, for your house, I'd look at flea markets and yard sales and try to find an antique copper or other antique metal bin of some kind.

Here's one from etsy

Here is a link that might be useful: antique copper laundry tub

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, Tibb, that's a cool option. Unfortunately, the seller charges $40 for shipping! I did look around etsy quite a bit last night, couldn't find quite the right thing, but I may poke around some more depending on what I find (or not) at HoGo.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

No good ideas for containers but the idea is good!

And another dog owner here whose dogs think bitter apple--- the exact brand pictured---is an inviting doggie perfume.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Then there's this option, a rack:

• bbstx
    9 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    All 3 for $72.

I know nothing about this site, but I had it pinned because of the variety of baskets they offer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basket Website

• busybee3
    9 years ago

bitter apple has not been a huge deterrent here either and our current puppy seems to actually really enjoy it!
    we use a half wooden wine barrel that we have had for many years to hold dog toys... google 1/2 wine barrels and see if there's anything you see that would work...

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

As if I needed it, but more good reminders why we don't have indoor dogs (or any indoor pet) any longer. But we do have big bear like Labs that lay on their backs out in the open pasture when it's 32 degrees outside! :o They're older now so when it gets any colder than that, we bring them in at night to lay on memory foam beds next to the fireplace. They were in for a week a couple weeks ago when it was in the 20s (in Texas!). House got to smelling not so good! Funny, they don't stink outside (lol). I do miss the companionship of an indoor dog but I don't miss all the other things that come with having an indoor dog. BTW, cayenne pepper doesn't keep (my) dogs from digging where they're not supposed to! I guess they're in to "Tex-Mex" :)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HoGo comes through once again!

First, I picked up this "basket" made of actual leather. I thought it was super cool, and we have a similarly colored brown leather chair in the room. But there is a lot of brown in general in the room. It wasn't cheap at $70, but I mean, it's leather. And cool. IRL, the color is darker brown.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But then, I spied this metal guy in a bronzey finish, and I decided to bring him home, too. (I thought about my GW friends who would understand as I brought throws from a few aisles over and threw them in both baskets to see how they'd look!)

I actually like this better! And it was only $17.

What say you?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And look at this little bugger, already checking it out.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the second one better too. Great find, and perfect.

I was at HoGo today as well. As Mtn. once described herself, a ToHoGoHo.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

hmmm, I like the way the 1st one looks better but I would be worried that the pups might want to chew the leather...

I'm not crazy about how the wire basket looks-too much like your laundry is sitting there, imo- but it certainly would be durable!

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Have you considered forgoing the basket and just draping/folding them over the couch/chair/recliner? I do that during the winter when we spend more time out in the den where the fireplace is.

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

I have the old copper boiler Tib posted. Ours has a lid and I keep our dog food in it. I like the wire one better too.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well DH just came home and said, "Oh, so we're warming the blankets by the fire now? Great idea!" (Fire is on, obviously.) So I guess that's another vote for the metal one. But as I sit here I'm thinking, maybe instead I want a basket that can slide under the coffee table? Hmm.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I like the leather one, although if i were your bad puppy, i would find that even more delectable than a dumb old basket!

She is sooo cute.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I like the leather one better. I think because you can't see what's in it. It avoids the laundry basket look.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love the metal one. That is a hilarious pic of your dog already checking out what she/he can chew on next. lol

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Monicakm, what's the point of having dogs if they live outside and only come in during the freezing weather?

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I'd go with the leather over the wire.

We also have an old copper boiler - it's been reincarnated into a planter on the front porch and has aged to a beautiful verdigris patina. This time of year it's full of Christmas greenery, shiny red balls and pine cones!

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Another vote for the leather!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Is there another place to stick the wire basket...under a table or behind a chair? I think the metal is better for your purpose in keeping the dog from chewing, but I do not like it out in the open, or next to the fireplace. That's dangerous! The leather shouldn't be there, either. We move our pups basket behind a chair when we turn the fireplace on or have guest over.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

We LOVE our dogs! We've always had large outdoor dogs. The two indoor dogs we've had were small. We live in the country and they get to run free, swim in the surrounding lakes, and chase rabbits and howl at the full moon :) When they are "caged" it's a 3/4 acre pasture, not a crate that many are in during the day when no one is home (and/or at night). I'm home all day and have interaction with my dogs on and off all day. The weekends are full of outdoor activities around here (they're right in the middle of whatever is going on). They have grandchildren that play with them. They are my first defense against would be intruders. They bark at the slightest movement/sound (trust me :o ) Was it a coincidence that the first time they came in at night last year, we had a pack of feral hogs root up our south lawn??? I don't think so :o So the point of having an outdoor dog is no different than having an indoor dog...companionship. BTW, if you've ever seen a Lab jump in a sub-freezing lake to retrieve a duck or just for recreation and LOVE it, you'd know that they are fine in their igloo dog houses filled with cedar shavings :) Could all dogs do well in that environment? No, that's why we choose a breed that can.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, so now I look sort of like a dope, but I have backpedaled on the whole idea now. (See, my "IRL" would be slapping me by now for talking about this for more than 30 seconds -- that's why I like you guys.) The whole situation was just bugging me last night and I looked over at a basket that I had under an end table and thought, heyyyy...

So this is what I have done. Uses up less floor space, the basket color works well with the table top color, etc... and more room for the dogs by the fireplace. ;)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And just look at Miss Chew-a-lot. She hasn't touched it yet, but I added some insurance. We have a couple of those doggie alarm things -- we put it on the sofa and if it's jostled, a high pitched alarm goes off. Works well to keep our dogs off chairs or sofas. (Also fun for when Grampa visits and we've forgotten to move it.) So I put that in the basket, and if it's jostled, the alarm will go off. Even if it doesn't deter her, it will bring me running and screaming from the other room!

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I like that idea MUCH better :) I too was concerned about it being next to the firebox. I could have never put that next to our wood burning firebox. Our coffee table has two levels I keep a large quilt folded and stored underneath. The throw blankets are laid over the backs of our rockers that we move in front of the fireplace in the winter :)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

monicakm, I just read a blurb in the current issue of Garden & Gun that good hunting dogs can be ruined by being brought into the house. Spending too much time indoors, blunts their senses.

Mom tried to bring our dog in once because the weather was so cold. Bless her heart, the dog tried to tear the door down to get outside. From then on, she stayed outdoors. Mom always provided a box and blankets in a sheltered area of the patio for cold nights. The dog was extremely protective of the family and lived to be 18.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

thank you bbstx. Yes, I did know about bringing a hunting dog into the house and dulling their senses. Fortunately, she's past her hunting years...or maybe DH is past HIS hunting (for ducks) years. They'll be 10 in Feb. Wow! 18 years old. That's amazing for any dog, much less a large one. My concern about bringing the Labs in is that they're acclimated to the outside elements. Bringing her in where it's warm and then having to go back outside, I wonder if it's harder than just staying outside. They've never tried to break out of the house! LOL In addition to the well built Igloo doghouse (facing south), filled with cedar shavings, my husband hangs a light bulb in it for extra warmth. Garden & Guns...hummmm. Sounds interesting.