Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Please vote!

jterrilynn
10 years ago

I think I'm close to getting the paint right! Please vote "A", "B" or "C".

This is before and before that hunk of nasty tree bush shrub has been taken out.

This is the cement tile roof we picked. This type of roof is common in the neighborhood although the colors vary. The color is a dark charcoal that sometimes looks like it has some warm dark brown within.

OK, VOTING on paint looks...READY?

OPTION "A" paint. Below the bands the house is a shade lighter than above bands. The bands do not get their own color or extra attention. White trim along roof line and the ceiling in little porch area. The garage door is the same darker shade that is above the bands.

OPTION "B" paint. The whole house and garage door is the same color. A lighter shade is added only around the front door. White trim along roof line and the ceiling in little porch area.

OPTION "C" paint. Terri you crazy little kook, I don't like "A" or "B" this is what I think would look great----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 17:45

Comments (44)

• auntie_ellen boston
    10 years ago

Will there be a different garage door (with windows)? I like B with above and below painted the same color.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I think the blocks of color are more interesting but wonder why only the window trim is dark.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi snook, all the windows in the house are bronze frames. We are getting new bronze framed windows in front that have hurricane glass. The roof tile is close to the same color. Sue Ellen, yes, when we replace the garage door it will have hurricane windows.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I like B.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

A gives your house a bit more character.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

A. It's got enough detail to be interesting but not over the top or trying to be something it's not. There probably is an option C that would also look good but my brain is fried so I'm stickin' with A.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, I just thought of something. How about a wall light on the left side of the garage in the same finish as the window frames? Or, maybe both sides?

Snooks, maybe a wall lantern would balance out the dark framed windows and tie in the dark roof?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Yes, let's see some other options! Those dark windows bother me but maybe they aren't so dark as in the picture.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The ole domino effect! I tried to paint a light on. I think it would need to be on both sides of garage? If you like this idea I will be on another round of crazy trying to figure out what sort of light would be suitable for this wacky little house. My brain is scrambled trying to get this right and do Christmas and I have a toothache lol.

• finallyhome
    10 years ago

I like B. (I also liked that "hunk of nasty tree bush shrub" in the front. lol)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think I like A...what light(s) are you doing by the front door? Yes to lights on both sides of garage door. My only reservation is that I like the garage door to blend in with the surrounding house color so it is not the focal point...the front door is.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I love voting on GW!
    I like A and I like two lights on the sides of the garage in a bronze tone that ties to the window trim color. I like the size you photoshopped in.
    I hope your toothache gets better.

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

I want my eye to be drawn to the front door, but I find the white a distraction. Can you photoshop the white away and try the darker color where the white is now?

I do like the dark light fixtures on both sides of garage door-they seem to balance the dark window frames. The size also seems to work well.

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 21:15

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I like option A
    With the lights on both sides of the garage

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Option A for me, it gives the house more character, love it.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone!!! Unless I get an overwhelming amount of âÂÂBâ options after this I think this is it. IâÂÂm pondering those weird cement planter things on each side of the house and may paint them in the darker shade? I have my colors narrowed down but think IâÂÂm going with SW Perfect Greige on top and the next lightest shade on the bottom which is SW Versatile Gray. IâÂÂm ready to present my roof and house color picks to the board of the community. I have never had to do that before and itâÂÂs weird. However, I do appreciate how nicely kept the neighborhood is.

In answer to some of the concerns and questions⦠The two colors I have picked will not be as drastic a contrast as the mock-up. So, I think the garage will not be a concern as far as being a focal point. The porch area is very shaded and shadowed (see before picture) so the lighter shade of course will not look as light as the mock-up. For this reason I will be choosing a much brighter than norm door paint color as it will not look so vibrant from the road. IâÂÂm even toying with SW Caribbean coral because it will show a shade or two darker.

Sometimes UGLY can be a fun challenge!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Option C: Same as A but with the garage door the lighter color. Maybe mock that up? I like the lanterns, too.

And I also love the bush - can it be thinned, tweaked into something interesting?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Option C: Same as A but with the garage door the lighter color. Maybe mock that up? I like the lanterns, too.

And I also love the bush - can it be thinned, tweaked into something interesting?

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I actually prefer the before picture using your new colors. I don't see the point of emphasizing the odd trapezoidal roof line over the garage.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Ugly? I don't think it's ugly - a bit challenging to show it to best advantage, maybe, but not ugly. I really like the lines and especially the way the clipped gable on the garage is completed over the front door - that design element disappears when it's all one color and one reason why I like the 2 tone option. Garage lights are a great idea and can bring the window color to that side of the house for balance - just make sure they're of a design vintage to work with your cool house - IOW, stay away from Colonial!!! LOL! But I'm sure you already knew that ;-)

And take care of that tooth!

This post was edited by dlm2000 on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 8:14

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Dim2000. Calm down lady. I never used the word ugly, you did! And I certainly am entitled to my opinion just as you are. Geesh.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

My vote is A

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Good luck! I also liked A, and then the C. I think it's going to look great when done. I like the tile roof.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

DLM responding to OP's words, I believe:

"Sometimes UGLY can be a fun challenge! "

Have a good holiday if you celebrate, K9.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 10:31

• User
    10 years ago

I think dlm2000 was responding to Jterrillyn's comment about ugly being a fun challenge, not your comment, K9arlene. I don't think it's ugly either! I recently moved into a similar house and I actually think it is fun to figure out what to do with it.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here ya go Joanie and Olychick! You know what? I do like it betterâ¦A & B which = C and a touch of me.

K9, I think there is a misunderstanding. I called the âÂÂbeforeâ house ugly and I think that is what was being referenced lol.

If any of you happen to come across suitable lantern lights for both sides of garage door you could save me from the straight jacket.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Uh oh, my apologies dim2000. I didn't realize you weren't responding to my post. I'll blame it on the stress of the season and not carefully reading the OPs post. Sorry.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No worries K9, it is a stressful time!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

How about option D, just for a trial? Would you try it with the color blocks as in option C, with the dark on the bottom? Just for fun...

Would you consider a darker color on the outside of the roof trim instead of white?

• indygo
    10 years ago

The last one is perfect!

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I am partial to that last one.

And happy holidays everybody. Remember to take a step back from the preperation stress, breathe ,and ENJOY. I hope everybody is spending the time with friends and family.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Hmmmm...now I'm wondering about the white trim too...maybe a lighter version of the lightest color..or as Oly said something darker?

I'm not sure what stlyle outside light would look best but just saw this in a Lamps Plus catalog....something simple?

Here is a link that might be useful: Outside light

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another round for Joanie and Olychick! Sorry I do not have time to fine tune, donâÂÂt have the color values just right for upper and lower but you get the idea. I added a light warm trim. Funny that in the 2 million gray-ish houses I looked at online I was drawn to bright white trim. However, I do like this warm trim and it may be a better idea so the warm door will have a distant relative.
    Joanie, I really like that lantern!

Sheesh, glad I got some pictures of my paint boards before my Rottweiler went out and did a big pee on the corner of the Versatile Gray sample.

Option âÂÂD-ishâÂÂ

This is what the darker shade looks like with white trim, Perfect Greige.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I think the color white trim looks good with the paint colors, it just seemed to me with the windows so dark that the white roof edge trim (I can't recall what they are called) didn't relate to anything else and kind of stood out.
    I like C or D - either with the warmer trim. (But I do like C best, if you warm up the trim).

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kellienoelle, happy holidays back at ya! And,(((((((((((((( thank you all so much)))))))))))))) for your input!!!

IâÂÂm going with âÂÂCâ at 10:32 but with the lighter shade on the Greige Chit which is SW Heron Plume for the trim. I think some of you are right about not using the bright white. Although it looks nice in my color inspiration pick above, in that house there is more white dispersed evenly around so it works. On my house the white would be the cheese that stands alone.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

The cheese stand alone - wow it's been a long time since I heard that!

k9 don't fret - we're all wound a little tight right now! Have another glass of eggnog - the grown up kind ;-)

• donnawb
    10 years ago

I like the last one but would tone down the trim and maybe make it a little lighter than the light color you are picking.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Am loving the toned down "white"trim instead of stark white. It looks good in your inspiration foto because all the windows are white, but with your dark windows, the softer version works better. D is my favorite but I like C too. Looking good!!

• zen4d
    10 years ago

Initially I liked A, but after comparing it to the actual picture of the house, I decided on B because B gives the house more height, while A seems to cut top from bottom and each section looks small. I like the darker door color and, after final additions (deleting white), I now also like D. I think the outside lights work well and visually balances the two sides of the home.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Zen! My husband likes the bottom lighter and the top darker and I like them both but sort of like the darker at the top as the roof is so dark, I like that graduation. The cool thing about these two colors though is that in some lights the difference is so very slight. Other times of day there is a difference. There is also more warmth at certain times, yet at other times of day the tones look cooler. So, IâÂÂm thinking itâÂÂs all good. What I really love is the idea that was sparked from posting here and that is the lights on each side of the garage. I think that was the key to making it all work. And, IâÂÂm one step closer as the board passed my roof picks before my actual closing. Next is the paint picks in about nine more days. I really think IâÂÂm going to like this new neighborhood.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Is this still going on?

I still like A the best. When you say the actual light and dark shades are not as contrasting as the mock-up, that might be an issue. Part of the look *is* the contrast. Can you show us the real color swatches side by side?

I think a door that pops will be great. Carribean Coral may be a touch too light IMO (based on what my monitor * search picked up)

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

I like your 4th mock-up best ... the one with the lanterns on either side of the garage door!

What did you decide on?

• User
    10 years ago

I would use that dark bronze color of your windows around the garage windows, the garage door itself and the front door.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wendyb, yes, I know what you are saying! I still do not have the lower color nailed. I will be going back to the house today to look at one color combo that shows promise. I did an exterior sample of Perfect Greige 6073 and Sandbar 7547 for the bottom half. The top would be the cool neutral and the bottom a warm neutral. This is what I had originally planned (warm and cool) but got off track as my mind became cluttered with so many decisions and ideas. I think those two would look nice with the dark roof. The other thing that is hindering my creative process is the fact that I have an HOA that has to approve. IâÂÂm used to doing things for âÂÂmeâÂÂ.
    The ole garage door, itâÂÂs very possible that that will be put on next yearâÂÂs project list. IâÂÂm pushing for some new costly hurricane windows at the moment as I think that is not only practical but also very good for resale down the road. IâÂÂm getting too old to haul hurricane panels around for storms and it would be a waste of money to kid -out those ugly windows with pull-down or accordion shutters.

Edited to add...

I havenâÂÂt been to the house yet to see the true Sandbar color when dry. I did this chit sample in a shadowed light and like it.

Then I moved the chits to full light and now IâÂÂm not so sure again. The Sandbar is a bit brighter than I want and sort of looks Lois and Jack do the Elks club, nice but not what I want I think. If only I could find the perfect warm taupe to go with the Perfect Greige that I love. Maybe all will be well after I view the dried color.
    {{!gwi}}

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 14:10