Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beacu_gw

window treatment for these windows

beacu
14 years ago

Could you suggest some window treatment for this room.

I think I want sheers, but am not sure about rods or whether I should have heavier drapes...

thank you!

Here is the room:

http://picturehosting.com/gallery.php?u=beacu&g=Living-and-Dining

Comments (20)

• beacu
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry, but the previous link was truncated...
    Could you suggest some window treatment for this room.
    I think I want sheers, but am not sure about rods or whether I should have heavier drapes...

thank you!
    Here is the room:
    http://picturehosting.com/gallery.php?u=beacu&g=Living-and-Dining-Room

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Clickable link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• beacu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

to: terriks Is this reply a joke?

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

She made is easier for viewers. Rather than Copy + Paste your link into our browser and hit Enter, all anyone has to do now is click on the word "Link" in terriks' post and we're there.
    She was doing you a favor, a lot of people don't like to do the extra Copy/Paste steps.

• beacu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the explanation. I am a novice at this...

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I don't have any suggestions just wanted to say what a beautiful space you have to work with! It is going to be absolutely lovely.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

A little more information will really help:

Do you need to cover the transoms and the fanlight for any
    kind of light control, or would you like to keep them bare?

Are there any types of window treatments you particularly love? Any you particularly hate? The room has a lot of potential, but I think that the window treatments are going to be an investment:)--I don't think there is a cheap and easy solution for this one (not that you were looking for that).

• beacu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you for replying. I wanted to concentrate on the lower windows. The transoms and fanlight could remain bare. I don't care for heavy or too fancy draperies; thus the reason for the sheers...

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I'll defer to others on your windows.
    If you want to make a clickable link like terriks did:

When you type a message to post here, below the white "Message Box"
    you'll see "Optional Link URL". Paste the address of the web site you want us to go to in that box.

In this instance you would paste
    http://picturehosting.com/gallery.php?u=beacu&g=Living-and-Dining-Room
    into the Optional Link box
    Below that, in "Name of the Link" you can type in what you like to describe it, such as "My window pictures". (terriks simply typed in the word "Link", as we see above).

When you post your message, we will see what you typed in "Name of the Link" box (such as My Window Pictures), and then we just click on it and it takes us to the web address you want us to see.

Gosh, I hope that's not clear as mud!
    Here's a Test Forum if you want to practice!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

I wonder if sheers would be too light in this room. You may need something with a little more presence If you do not want something to ornate or flashy, raw silk or solid linen drapes could be a possibility. You could start looking at Country Curtains, Restoration Hardware, J.C. Penney, Pottery Barn, etc.

If the drapes are not making a statement, I would probably wait to pick them out after you have picked other fabrics for the room or an inspiration piece (nice rug, etc.). It is a lovely room.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I would wait on the windows until you have some furniture in place. Are you looking to control glare or for privacy?

And, what budget do you have set aside for window treatments? There is no point in suggesting ideas that would end up being outside your budget.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Tish has a good idea with the raw silk.

Your chandelier and DR set are gorgeous, as are the rest of your spaces. Treating all the windows with sheers would be inexpensive but not a good look for your home, IMO. They wouldn't give you any privacy, either, if that's a concern.

Something like the panels I've linked would be understated but still important enough for their surroundings.

Also, are the walls painted already?

Here is a link that might be useful: Raw Silk

• beacu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, Budget? ah... I guess that is important!!!
    I am amazed at all I have to think about. I guess I am looking for ideas and suggestions. I have not even priced anything because I could not even think where to start.
    One would assume I should know, but as I have explained before I am grieving the death of my seventeen year old granddaughter and my cognitive ability seems to have become so low that unless someone points out something I just don't even think about...
    I feel as if someone needs to take me by the hand and then my brain might react...

Here is a link that might be useful: the windows in my new room

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

beacu, what a horrible loss you've suffered. Who wouldn't have trouble functioning. :/ You have my sympathies.

You did a perfect job of linking to your pics ;)

• beacu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you!

• johnmari
    14 years ago

My sympathies regarding your family tragedy, what a horrible thing to endure. I don't know if you are looking to distract yourself with the decorating, but here's an unsolicited comment you are more than welcome to ignore, but it is meant in a caring way: it is often recommended that one not make major changes and decisions (especially those involving significant financial expeditures) for several months to a year after such a drastic occurrence. As you said yourself, you're not thinking straight at all, and as others have noted, good-quality WTs for that many windows would likely be costly. Having to do it over in a year or two when you've gotten your head back on a little straighter because you made some, shall we say, sub-optimal decisions while you weren't thinking clearly is even more expensive, and does nothing for one's emotional balance.

But anyway, enough of the armchair psychology and back to the decorating. :-) Speaking for myself, however, if I were starting from scratch and did not already have an inspiration object such as a fabric, rug, or artwork (I've decorated an entire apartment starting from one smallish painting) I would likely start at the floor and work upward... I would first look for two rugs, one for the dining area and one to anchor the living-room area. Complementary in color and pattern, but NOT matching. One wonderful thing about a nice traditional rug is that it usually gives you quite a few colors to use throughout the room to tie everything together nicely and avoid monotony. Do you have any existing furniture you plan to use besides the dining set? Existing upholstered furniture may need to be your starting point, driving your rug choice rather than vice versa. Once the furniture is selected, at least the big pieces (and given the small space you have available for the living room, I'd probably be thinking a couch and two or even four not-too-large chairs rather than the ordinary and "expected" matching couch and loveseat), then I'd go for those window treatments.

I agree that a raw silk (or even a really good lined faux-silk) or linen would be beautiful, but I'd also consider non-bulky panels in a monochromatic/tone-on-tone pattern like a subtle woven stripe, jacquard, tonal embroidery or even a relatively unfussy damask-ish pattern, with sheers beneath since it doesn't look like you have knockout views to preserve. There are a lot of very big windows there and a multicolored pattern could be overwhelming indeed, but IMO a tone-on-tone pattern would have more visual interest than big solid blocks of plain fabric, especially if you also chose solids for your furniture. (I think a mixture of solids and patterns is nicest for a room of upholstered furniture, but that's me.) Many people consider matching the draperies to the wall color to be a very elegant look, and I think that that understated style might go over very well in this room because of the sheer number and size of the windows. A higher-contrast WT could make for a somewhat choppy look.

Unless they came from the factory already treated, consider having UV-filtering film applied to those upper windows that will not have window treatments, to keep the sun from fading your rugs and furniture, cut down glare, and minimize heat gain in summer. Any glass company can do it, just look in the yellow pages under "glass".

Are those pocket French doors? Delicious! Another unsolicited notion... One thing to keep in the back of your mind is something big to go on that high triangular wall above them. Perhaps a fabric wallhanging, a not-too-heavy metalwork piece, or a large stretched-canvas painting rather than a bulky framed item. You don't have a lot of wall space to display artwork on, especially the larger pieces that this soaring space merits (bitsy little pictures in a large open space like this just look timid, and grouping together a bunch of little things can look very cluttered) - that spot and the small wall to the left of the spiral staircase are pretty much it, and if you're planning a television in this room that little wall is really the only sensible spot for it (ideally a wall-hung flat-panel, if you have the budget for it, with a lovely console table underneath to hold components and decorative items).

• beacu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THANK YOU!!!! for taking the time to give me a complete guide!!
    It is true that the recommendation for my type of grieving is to postpone major decisions until one has begun to absorb the horrific loss... which in my case, feels as if I'll never accept, but we'll see.
    Your words have given me a plan to think through and a way to step out of my grief and I really appreciate it.
    Again, thank you!
    So many caring people in this group!

Here is a link that might be useful: my new room - windows

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

No words of advise on the WTs better than have already been given. I just wanted to add my sympathies. My heart breaks for you and your family. I can't imagine what you are going through.

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

Hello Beaucu,

I'm so sorry for your loss! I can totally understand how you would want to throw yourself into a project to help deal with some of your grief. You might find that working with an interior designer to be of great benefit. In addition to the companionship they will help make sure that you don't make any expensive mistakes and end up with a room that you love. Your room has tremendous potential and could be something special. Best of luck and let us know what you decide to do.

• beacu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am back! Taking small steps at the time... I think I would like to have swags with cascades above the transoms, but below the paladium (eastern wall) and a fixed panel on each end of the outside windows. The fabric will closely match the wall color (tone on tone).
    Problem is that the N/S windows don't have transoms, so I'm wondering how that would look. Two sides with swags and cascades only on individual windows and the eastern side hanging high???

Here is a link that might be useful: My windows

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022