Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Need a small pedestal

sjhockeyfan325
9 years ago

I need a small pedestal, measuring no more than 12x12x12, on which I can place a tower lamp, just to make it taller. Any ideas where I can get something that looks decent, is unobtrusive, and isn't too expensive? I've included a picture of the lamp in question. It stands next to the front hall console table - the ceiling in that area is 13'.

Comments (16)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How about a decorative, fun hat box?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Another example:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

One more

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You have such a creative bent, it's amazing to me!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Well, you can also use it for your hat when you travel to the Kentucky Derby, so it serves a very practical purpose as well! And of course, it can be weighted down just by filing it with rocks or beans or something.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or maybe a stone statuary pedestal, from a garden center?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I would only consider a round pedestal, not sure you have to limit the height to 12". I would nestle it in among the big leaf plants that I hope are in the foyer, and my first choice would be this one from Crate & Barrel. Hard to tell the finish on line because the photos are bad, but this could work.

Sure you need more height on the floor lamp?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, I really like the tree stump pedestal from West Elm in Beverly's illustration. And her idea to have it among plants is great, and so again, the tree stump would look fantastic among plants as well, as would a stone pedestal.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bev designed my foyer so she should know what she's talking about :-). (The lamp, the mirror and the console table were all things she suggested).

Bev, that round pedestal from Crate and Barrel - What category is it under?

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bev, never mind, I found it. But I think I like it as a side table next to either the end of the couch without an arm, or next to the swivel chair!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Look for a low plant stand, and MCM occasional table, or how about this?!

Here is a link that might be useful: A Milk can plant stand!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Here's another possible source for pedestals in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: CB2 Accent Tables

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

All accent tables from Target

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Of Beverly27's options I really like the crate and barrel table too! Sorry but to me the two ones on the right look like someone turned a small trash bin upside down. In fact, I have a bamboo trash can from Target or similar that is approx. 9x9x12? If you're going to hide it behind plants anyway I'd be tempted to be frugal.

Or, if you want a tree stump come on down the peninsula where I'm sure you could have your pick free from ones that just came down in the storms. I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine. Bring a chainsaw and design your own! :-). I'm only half kidding.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

agree w/oaktown re: tree stumps. you can likely find one out there somewhereâ¦plenty around here! I've got some in cedar! Take the bark off, poly itâ¦voila! Light pedestal at no charge. And I just love finding ways to use natural resources!

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

I'm reluctant to say this, but the spare, minimalist Asian look of the lamp is going to take a style hit with just about anything you use for a pedestal (except perhaps the tree-stump idea). If the lamp did not have the metal base (which I assume is the bulb housing), you could use pretty much anything. One possible option I'd try is a square Lucite-type box, much like the "display cubes" the Container Store sells for showing off signed basketballs and plush animals and such.

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design