Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bfletcher1

Bow Making

bfletcher1
9 years ago

I need a new bow for my outside wreath, I use to go to AC Moore pick out ribbon and they would make the bow.. Now it seems like they don't do that any longer.
Does anyone know of a DIY bow making ? I remember years ago they had a type of wooden one where you could make them...
I did see that they had kits but they seemed kind of expensive.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

If you buy the wired ribbon. Have a person(child) chair back spindels help you to make the bow. They hold their hands up as wide apart as you want the bow to be. Wrap the wire edged ribbon around many times because really full bows look so much better. Then tie it in the center. and remove hands chair top or whatever you used. Give the center a twist and push it in half a bit but do not worry when it opens up. Then start pulling the loops to the center alternating sides. Give them a twist at the bottom (center) where your tie is and keep adjusting until all loops are positioned to your satisfaction. Cut two or three streamers long enough to fold in half and I think it is always nice to cut a V notch out on each end to give it a pretty finish. Add the streamers into your center tie which should be left extra long for this. Then tie it to the wreath.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

There are a number of youtube videos that explain how to do it and for different kinds of bows.

Especially with the wired ribbon, it's fairly easy to do. I've done it and never use any kits or anything...just try to make the loops fairly even, and then spend some time finessing it at the end.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make a wreath bow

• sas95
    9 years ago

I am completely talentless at these things, but I had to make a wreath bow this year. I scoured the web for the easiest instructions, but most were beyond my abilities. These instructions were pretty foolproof. My husband, knowing what a dolt I am about crafty things, was amazed that I actually made a good looking bow.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Once you determine the size, when you do the first fold, use a small piece of scotch tape to secure the circle, then just wrap around and wrap around until you think you have enough ribbon for a full bow.....no other people or objects needed.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

joanie, I'm sorry, I don't understand your description, and if the wreath is to be used outside, I wouldn't trust scotch tape to last....

One trick is as you make a loop and pinch it, twist it before you make the next loop...it helps keep the loops from slipping.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville