Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zen4d

Window treatment for small room

zen4d
10 years ago

I have a small room that doubles as home office/2nd guest bedroom. The only furniture in the room is a cherry wood daybed and an antique sewing machine. The room has a built in bookcase (white) and the walls/ceilings are BM mayonnaise.

I am doing a quick fix-up, as I will be having some guests for the holidays. Any ideas on window treatment/bed linens. I like a clean, elegant look. I prefer to watch costs since I will most likely redecorate in the future; would like to spend $100 or so. I've seen some valances at overstock, but nothing that I care for. Any suggestions on where I can find decent window treatment for a small room? Decorating suggestions welcome! PS. for those of you who remember, my garage doors are up but I'm waiting for handles before I post pics.

window is 35 W x 52 H, room is 8 x 11 and bed is against 8 foot side of room.

Comments (9)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

So far the room is very neutral, so I would want to add some color.

Maybe this valance from country curtains

And a solid navy or beige day bed treatment.

A few throw pillows, a roller shade for privacy and room darkening and you're done.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice suggestion, Annie. Would you include the side panels too, or just the valance. I think I like the look of the valance with the panels.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I think a valance plus panels set could be too much and too formal for a small room. You might consider these panels from Target. They are in your price range and look pretty nice (nicer than they appear in this photo):

The blue has a slight gray tone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Target panels

• amykath
    10 years ago

I like gray's suggestion. As for bedding, I love quilts. I would go with a white and another color combo depending on what you like. You can find great deals at Ross, Home Goods, TJMaxx, Marshall's or online at Overstock. I recently purchased a tan queen sized quilt at overstock with shams for 59.00 on sale.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Don't know if privacy is an issue, but I see more and more where people will put a sheer panel under the valance which can be pulled to one side for light or cover the window for more privacy. Sheers are very inexpensive.

GF will be doing that in her DR to soften the look of the valances...other GF did that already in hers.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again all. I like the idea of sheers. I'm also thinking about keeping the room in all creams/whites - since I don't have an all white room and have always gravitated towards them (when they're done by designers, of course.) I saw a beautiful curtain on one of the old postings here - I believe your posting Annie. So pretty and elegant. It was a full length cream with button at the bottom of each pleat (at top of curtain). Yellow chair in photo. Im not sure how to post picture, but if you know what I'm referring to, what do you think about that for a small room?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Check out IKEA curtains. Just went there yesterday and saw quite a few pretty and fairly inexpensive sheers/semisheers, or kind of white on white.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA white curtains

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Zen, I know exactly the drapes you are referring to. Ever since I saw them I have yearned for drapes like that. They are custom though and I imagine they would be quite expensive.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was posted by: Posted by justgotabme zone 5 (My Page) on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 20:57. They are gorgeous.