Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynes123_gw

Your vote for sofas or loveseat for layout

jaynes123_gw
9 years ago

(update image to show this is primarily a TV room which I should have noted, striving to accommodate seating for when neighboring family watch with us)

Room 17' x 14'5"
Sofa 38 x 86
Love 38 x 66

Finishing rebuild, empty house & would appreciate your vote on loveseat(s), sofa(s) for positions 1, 2 & 3 to maximize seating without making it cramped.
In layout, ones we want are drawn to scale. We purposely not wanting chair from this collection because its so particularly large for just one person.

NOTE: Position 3 must be a loveseat to fit.

Position 2 is best spot, directly across from TV / fireplace. Hopefully it will just define the area and not feel abrupt to the traffic flow from kitchen.

Position 2 is loveseat in layout A & B (4' from perpindular corner seating position 1).
Its a sofa in layout C & D (2' from perpindular seating position 1.)

So D with two sofa provides most seating but not sure if that will be cozy / intimate or too long awkward or if something other than these layouts would be better for the space.

PLEASE advise which you would use for postions 1, 2 or 3, thank you

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 12:08

Comments (17)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

This would be my suggested arrangement. I don't find loveseats very practical, because it's often hard to get two people to sit on them at the same time.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

With that layout, I'd do two full-size sofas facing each other with the FP centered. (Where loveseats are concerned, I think it's smarter to go with two separate chairs. Loveseats are, IMO, very impractical). And a LARGE rectangular coffee table

Like this:

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I agree with Tibbrix.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Here is the other layout that was suggested. Attractive, though sometimes you require a lounge chair in a room rather than simply sofas, so an additional layout is added.

No reason to think you must purchase the chair offered in the "collection". Can you post the the style sofa you are considering? Also are you really considering placing 6 stools around the island. Seems like that might be too many.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I updated original post - were this a living room, think Tibbrix's layout would work great but failed to mention this will be a gathering spot to watch TV and not wanting to give up best view of being able to watch facing the TV directly.

While mostly me & BF, there will often be family from neighboring beach homes who come over and watch TV together hence trying to be able to accommodate more seating.

Not opposed to seating that can be altered when they visit like corner chair in yours Beverly. Guess could consider seating from dining room - there can be many siblings and their teens visiting the beach at a given time.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Regarding Island, not necessarily the seating plan - just drawn for time being..

With three married siblings, each with two kids gatherings can get high capacity so will try to max island seating for when the clans altogether but basically no, havent even looked at island seating yet.

• teacats
    9 years ago

For maximum seating capacity for a teen crowd -- I would invest in a clean-lined sectional -- possibly with a pullout bed for extra folk ..... then add a square ottoman with a lift-up lid for storing bedding etc.

Then choose a couple of swivel chairs .....

As for the dining room -- choose an expandable table -- with optional benches that could be carried in from a deck ... lots of seating .... in or outside ....

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Is there a sectional available in your preferred line of furniture? I think I'd like that to maximize seating and offer lying space, too. I have a sectional with a slightly curved wedge that seats 6 comfortably, two can lie down while another is seated, too.
    Add a chair or two and you have lots of seating.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

These furnishings would work for the plan I have proposed.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Attached is drawing I put together a while back before actually looking at furniture, thinking I could fit up to eight which is all the adults.

Then I surprisingly found this inexpensive collection I very much like (bought the ottoman for the bedroom and really like the chenille feel, deep navy) at Bobs Furniture. The color and fabric are just what Im looking for (I prefer the nubby chenille feel over smooth fabric).

BEVERLY, those are the very tables I like from the website and I think your layout looks great but concerned not much seating - dinners tend to be everyone at one home so when at our place, nice for everyone to relax afterwards with TV without having to use chairs from dining room. But if its just too cramped, I may have to - just really wanted to make more seating work dining chairs just not as comfortable.

SECTIONALS while Ive not found one in the color/texture like this, worse is them being too long against wall with entry door.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Beverly's layout makes the most sense for TV viewing or a sectional facing the fireplace/TV. Having two sofas facing each other in front of FP means people have to turn their head sideways to watch TV...and the people at the end farthest from the FP may not have a good view over the other people on the couch.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe Im trying to force enough seating that wont fit.

The kids dont hang around long after dinner yet usually six adults, sometimes all eight adults.

Pre- hurricane house was very tiny, not accommodating for get togethers & we always gathered at sister's home but with rebuild, really trying make our home more get together friendly. Dining and large island can handle dinner crowd but didnt plan as well for the TV room afterwards.

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 13:36

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Regarding Island, not necessarily the seating plan - just drawn for time being..

With three married siblings, each with two kids gatherings can get high capacity so will try to max island seating for when the clans altogether but basically no, havent even looked at island seating yet.

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

I don't understand the dislike of loveseats. At a minimum, I'd expect the hosts to be sharing it. Sure, I'd prefer a sofa and two chairs for starters, but don't see anything wrong with the next piece after that being a love seat.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

One reason loveseats are not favored (at least by me) is because:

1.Usually guests will seat themselves before the hosts could "claim" the loveseat as a couple and then...

2. Inevitably, a "single" in the group will sit on a loveseat making it uncomfortable for other guests to then sit next to them - it's just too intimate a space for most people not "with" the other person. So you might as well just have a chair.

Sounds like you won't consider a sectional, but the one I pictured above does not have a long side and is no longer on each end than a loveseat. What I find in my home is that people space themselves one on each end, one on the curve, but when I have a crowd, then a couple will sit next to each other and as seating fills up, people make room for others and pretty soon there are 5 or 6 sitting together. I pictured it placed at the top of your space curving around down in front of the fireplace.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

People do what they have to do at beach homes to accommodate family and friends, however, the diagonal foot path through the TV room could be a problem long term. To accommodate the needed seating and not have the place look like a furniture showroom, the idea of the sectional seems like a good solution, though I did not see it on the furniture website for that store.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Beverly for the drawings & Oily for the sectional idea.

I'd had problem with position 2 & 3 seating measurements not fitting on the actual floor, never understood why until today charting layout by square foot.
    .....Reason - #3 as loveseat too long for spot.
    It only allows 18" path to office door behind #2.

Beverlys first layout with chair as #3 but with #1 as a sofa will work great AS LONG AS #1 sofa across from #3 chair still works. Otherwise, these pieces are right texture, navy color and inexpensive.

Beverlys last sectional drawing I think could be even better, although my drawing you used didnt show just how big pieces would be but maybe a chaise sectional could still fit.

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro