Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theclose

Should I send the garland back?

theclose
10 years ago

Hi All,

So, my new mantle is longer than my old one. I had a 6ft garland and new mantle is 7ft long. I can still use my old 30" wreath. I bought new garland and now I see the lighting is not the same. It said "soft white" and it is really yellow. The lights on the wreath are a truer soft white. Ugh. But then I held up my old garland to the wreath and noticed the lighting isn't the same tone either! I just never noticed. My old garland has a bluish tone to the white.

Anyway, I tried capturing it in a picture but the nuance is such that it doesn't come through. I will try to use my better camera in a bit.

What would you do? Live with it? Return it? I otherwise like the garland.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I would definitely return it!

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture. Not sure if you can see the difference or not.

It was also pointed out that I might never be able to find a "match", per se. So, hmmm...

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Send it back. Then I'd get some inexpensive garland with NO lights and buy a couple of strings and change out the ones on the wreath and add the lights to the garland so they match. The different colored lights next too each other NO MATTER how close would make me crazy.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jaysmom, excellent solution! Although it involves work on my part. : )

To further illustrate my dilemma, here are two more pics.

My old wreath and old garland

All three!

It is amazing how different they all are. And annoying at the same time. Maybe the lighting in my new home exacerbates the issue since I never noticed how off my old stuff was.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

what if you get a garland with colored lights so it didn't have to match the wreath?

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

k9arlene, not a fan of colored lights. But that would solve the problem!

I just looked back at old Christmas pics. The difference in color wasn't as much as it looks in the above pics. I did play with the camera settings to get a good differentiation.

Anyway, I will see what DH thinks and take it from there. Not sure I can live with either!! Might have to go the way jaysmom suggested.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

fwiw, i think the new garland looks a LOT better with the wreath than the old did!! but, if the pics don't show true, hard to say!!!

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, busybee! The pic is exaggerated but it does show that the new garland has the same undertone as the old wreath. I am still unsure. And DH wasn't any help. He didn't even notice that they are all different tones until I pointed it out! He doesn't think it matters but also said if I don't like it to return it.

I am going to hang the wreath today and then see how it looks all set up.

I appreciate the feedback!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

You could get a match if you bought all new stuff from the same vendor, ie both garland and wreath.

The first photo looks fine to me

• romy718
    10 years ago

Edit: someone already suggested changing out all the lights. Buy extra lights for replacement down the road.

This post was edited by romy718 on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 9:45

• Fori
    10 years ago

Are the light bulbs the same base? Can you just switch them around and mix them up so both pieces have both colors?

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtn, I would like to get all new. Maybe next year!

Here is a pic with wreath hung (although it might be too low...). Not fully decorated yet.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I had a similar situation. I mixed greens on the mantle. I had lots of greens because our house had a large staircase (I strung garland along the banister), an open loft area which I also hung garland.

For the mantle I added layers of greens of various types. I had holly's, long needle and short lighted. I also put fat red candles and various other pretty x-mas items on the mantle.

What I liked was the Holly. It had the holly leaves and red berries. It picked up the reds of the candles and other reds. I had small, clear twinkle lights buried among the greens. I cut the original garland and put the holly and long needles. I used the cut pieces to hang off the sides.

I'm sorry, I can't find the pics. We moved and my pictures are somewhere on our 6 computers. Its hard to explain, but it looked so pretty everyone would comment on the mantle. We had high ceilings and I hung a huge wreath above the fireplace again with a large, velvet ribbon. No lights on the wreath.

You could do the same and it would look lovely. Just mix the greens and add objects to the mantle. I would definitely hang the wreath higher. There should be space between the garland and wreath.

Jane

• romy718
    10 years ago

I think I would try adding your old garland to the new. It will appear fuller & the lights will mix.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jane! You must be psychic. After the kids were in bed I was researching unlit garlands with berries and such. I have spent the day with the wreath and garland lit and have decided I can't live with it like this. I like the lights on the wreath. So I will get an unlit garland and then decide whether to add any lights or just decorate with objects and candles. Yours sounds so pretty!

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy, the old garland has brighter/bluer lights than new or wreath. Nothing matches!

It's funny. Even DH said tonight that he doesn't like the old garland lights at all. We've had it for three years! I really think the room color is affecting the cast of the lights.

• romy718
    10 years ago

This is my family room mantle from 10 years ago? I redo it the same every year, copying my pictures. I have white lights on it, some ribbon, some berries and ornaments. I'm not crafty & this was easy to do. Figuring out how to weave the ribbon in & out took a bit of effort but I copied magazine pics.
    Do put lights on your garland, so festive at night. Add some matching ornaments or ribbon to your wreath. I'll post a couple of closeups that show how to curl the ribbon.

• romy718
    10 years ago

These are pictures I took with my Ipad of the pictures taken 10 plus years ago so the quality is not great.

• romy718
    10 years ago

The clear lights are obviously not plugged in.

• romy718
    10 years ago

The ribbon & berries don't look that great close up but look nice when looking at the mantle as a whole. This room is demolished due to our kitchen reno. I'm not decorating this year.