Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

If you want somewhere to go for New Year's Eve..

User
11 years ago

Just for fun here is DS1's menu...we may have to hop in the car and head to VA !!

Got plans for New Years Eve? Whether you are going to ring in 2013 at home or are heading to a big party, how about having dinner at The Red Hen first!
Please join us for dinner on New Year's Eve, Monday, December 31st. We will have a special Four Course Prix Fixe menu for $55 Per Person. Call 540 464 4401 for reservations.

Menu

1st course

Sunflower Flats' Spicy Mesclun Salad
with shaved radish, beth's pickled ginger, herbed goat cheese, cranberry/maple vinaigrette

or

Roasted Pumpkin, Leek, & Apple Soup
with candied pumpkin seeds, bourbon poached apple, pumpernickel croutons

2nd course

Oyster Mushroom Risotto
with shaved parmigiano reggiano, sage, cognac/shallot sauce, beet chips

or

Crispy Fried Chesapeake Oysters
johnny cake, pea shoots, spicy black eyed pea/surryano ham vinaigrette

3rd course

Hand Cut Pappardelle Pasta & Sew & Sow Farm' 63/60 Egg
with baby mustard greens, brown butter, capers, medjool dates, pecans, winter squash puree

or

Grilled Buffalo Creek Beef Steak of the Moment
with potato & white turnip au gratin, braised kale, bone marrow butter, red wine sauce

or

Caramelized Georges Bay Sea Scallops
with chive spaetzle, spiced winter squash, arugula, jowl bacon, roasted onions, preserved lemon

DESSERT

Dark Chocolate Bete Noire
with banana/peanut praline, espresso ganache, whipped cream

or

Vanilla Bergamot Cheesecake
with clementines, pomegranate, candied ginger, rum caramel

or

Tart Cherry & Rose Petal Panna Cotta
with amaretti cookie crumble, moonshine cherries, chocolate sauce

Comments (26)

• busybee3
    11 years ago

yum!!! i'll have the soup, the risotto, the scallops, and the bete noire!!! one of these days i will definitely make it to the red hen! i hope your son stays put for a couple of years...!

• jennifer_in_kansas
    11 years ago

Oh, what a delicious menu!

Would I really have to choose between the pasta and the scallops? I think I'd have to order for DH so we could "share".

Jennifer

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Sounds delish!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha busy bee...order placed !! There are some prettyawesome plans for the coming year so I think I can safely say a big YES they will be there.

Jennifer just tell the chef there is no way you can choose ! Ya'll are sweet...I thought I posted this on the convo side...sorry !!

Annie....come on to VA...it will be so good. c

• springroz
    11 years ago

I AM going there next time I am there! Or, even remotely close, which is an oxymoron, but so am I!!

Sounds SO good!

Nancy

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Sounds amazing! What a great menu!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha nancy !! I love oxymoron...we must be related :) You go on and call...they will leave the light on LOL !

bumblebeez...it does sound great. We were there last year for NYE...not this year though...:(

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Sounds spectacular (though I'll have mine without beef, pork, or peppers! LOL)!!!!!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yeh yeh..I know cat....always the fresh one !! XO

• sochi
    11 years ago

I wish I was closer, what a menu. It all sounds delicious!

• annac54
    11 years ago

If we didn't live on the other coast........ Sounds like it will be a tasty event! Just one comment, for someone like me, allergic to shellfish, there is no good option in the second corse. Hope you all have a wonderful time and a great New Year.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

There are vegetarian choices for all the courses! I love this restaurant already! I think I have some business trips coming up to Lexington .. :)

• User
    11 years ago

I want it ALL and I want it NOW!

I agree with jennifer_in_kansas: have to go with multiple people so all dishes are ordered and shared!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sochi: thank you I wish you were closer too !!

anna...there is a reason for that...DS makes no promise for those that are actually allergic to shellfish since his kitchen is so small and all things touch all things :) Those of you with nut allergies and shellfish allergies can die or have significant responses and he can't be responsible for having that kind of safety measures...no restaurant really can. I am sorry you have to be so careful. I am linking a very good article with prevention suggestions...when you read it you will see why he and others can't really be careful enough to say you are safe.

GW...yep his DW is a vegetarian and he is in a town with many who are so he makes an effort to have lots of choices...just leaves off the meat :) I hope you can get there soon !!

java...well come on then..what are you waiting for !! c

Here is a link that might be useful: prevent shellfish reactions

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Although I don't like to travel on NYE, if I still lived in VA, we'd have to consider it. The menu looks awesome.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Sounds like a real treat and I wish we could go! If my friend was going to actually be in VA instead of here, we might just do it.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gs...I am sorry you aren't closer. It is a lovely way to spend the evening for sure. Maybe if you get back in the area to visit :)

outside...Maybe next time you too can get by there ! Ya'll are sweet !! c

• texanjana
    11 years ago

That sounds delicious.

• sis2two
    11 years ago

We are only 20 minutes away from there! I have been and it is exquisite! I will be talking to my DH about going since we have no plans for New Year's Eve. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be having the oysters for sure!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

texan thanks for looking.

sis : REALLY !! ? Wow...you tell DS when you call that I sent you :) He loves it when folks come that know me from here on GW. It has happened a number of times. Where do you live ? c

• sis2two
    11 years ago

Hi trailrunner! We live in the little town of Fishersville, Va. We love going to Lexington which is such a beautiful place. There is a family drive-in that we frequent in the summer.

When we visited the Red Hen before, I actually asked the waitress if the Chef had a mother named Caroline and explained a little about the garden web connection. She did go back and tell your son. I sure hope he didn't think we were stalking him! He is such a cutie and a great Chef! Isn't this really a small world?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha...he told me about that !! I hear about someone that I " know" coming in there every couple months. He was talking to someone in the local garden club about their window boxes and the person told him she "knew" me from the garden forum.

Yes it is a small world. I can't remember if you shared with me that you had been before. I am glad you told me again. I look forward to hearing about your next visit. c

• teacats
    11 years ago

Sounds super divine!!! :)

I'll have the soup; oysters; scallops; and the dark chocolate ....

Lovely! :)

Hope that you post some photos! :)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tea check the facebook page for their restaurant...there is a pic of the chocolate dessert !! We won't be there :( . DS has a birthday the end of the month and I think we will be up there then. Wish YOU could eat there . c

Here is a link that might be useful: link to pics

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

I wish we were closer to Virginia because your son's menus always fascinate me. I love the way his mind works when it comes to creating a dish or a meal. The brilliant juxtaposition of ingredients makes me extremely jealous of those that live close enough to eat at there on a regular basis. Our nephew lives in Blacksburg and is doing research at Virginia Tech. I'll definitely tell him about The Red Hen, as it's only ninety minutes away from the looks of it. He's here for the holidays with his girlfriend and they don't fly back until after New Year's, but I'm hoping they can get there someday soon.
    Anyhoo, I know your son's NYE will be a huge success. My only regret is that I won't be there to enjoy it with my DH. It's definitely our kind of restaurant!
    Lynn

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lynn. thank you for the sweet note. If your nephew gets a chance to come to Lexington do please let me know. DS always loves it when I send my GW friends. I hope that one day you and your DH can get there too. Thank you again...c